PC Hardware forum

General discussion

cd-writer quit working

by Laura51 / April 2, 2005 2:34 AM PST

My cd-writer quit working. Worked fine a few days ago and for four years without any problems. I ran all the suggested tests at the hp help center and did all the suggestions for other fixes. (re-installing device driver etc.) Still doesn?t work. The player has power, eject works, the red light goes on, but then goes click-click, click-click, about 4 or 6 times and nothing comes up. The little cd icon flashes briefly next to the cursor. Do I need to replace the cd-writer? If so, how do I go about finding one that is compatible with and or will fit my computer? From the manual it doesn?t look too difficult to replace it. The only thing I?ve ever done internally is add more memory but this doesn?t look too much more difficult.

Anyway, if I need to replace it what specs am I looking for? Any help would be appreciated.

I really have no idea exactly what it is I?m looking for LOL, but I found a cd-writer that maybe is compatible at Newegg here:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-106-979&depa=0

Would this work? I have a CD-RW 8x4x32x max speed in the computer now (the one that isn?t working).

My computer is a hp-pavillion xt928, XP with Intel Celeron Processor, 1.10 Ghz, 384 MB of Ram. Model # P6266A

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: cd-writer quit working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: cd-writer quit working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
re:cd-writer quit working
by BrianM / April 2, 2005 3:25 AM PST
In reply to: cd-writer quit working

Before declaring it dead remove the software that came with it (if you have it on CD) and remove the burned from the properties in Windows. Then shut the computer down, restart it and Windows should find new hardware, at this point Windows may find the drivers for it or you may have to use the drivers that came with it (most likely on the CD that came with it).

If that doesn't help it may be dead so just about any standard burner will fit the slot on the HP. I would go with a retail version over the oem version for 3 bucks more.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-106-969&depa=0

Collapse -
Replace
by Willy / April 2, 2005 7:02 AM PST
In reply to: cd-writer quit working

You got your moneys worth from the CD-RW, time to move on. In most cases since you did the proper recovery items, it still doesn't work, suggests it has failed. Replace with a generic CD-RW or another HP model that is CD-RW, though if you like a DVD/CD-RW model will work as well for more cost, otherwise stick with the CD-RW model.
In most cases, you get newer technology plus maybe better s/w to go with it.

tada ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
Thank you!
by Laura51 / April 2, 2005 7:13 AM PST
In reply to: Replace

Thank you both for the advice and recommendations!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.