Computer Help forum

General discussion

CD Security

by compy / June 3, 2004 2:46 AM PDT

Win XP Pro,Creative CD-RW.
I have transferred some files to cd and for security have protected the files individually.
For extra security, is there any way I can protect the CD itself. i.e. stop unauthorized people from reading the CD.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CD Security
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CD Security
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:CD Security
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2004 2:56 AM PDT
In reply to: CD Security
Collapse -
by roscojones / June 3, 2004 4:13 PM PDT

I would suggest using some encryption software when first transferring files to the CD.

Collapse -
by Ladyhawk / June 4, 2004 3:00 AM PDT

well when you find that out i'd like to know too!
i use Nero to burn my CD-R's but it there is a password or something you can do i'd love to know.

Thank you

Collapse -
Re:Re:CD Security
by num.ber / June 4, 2004 7:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:CD Security

You might find it of intererst to look at a program called cd-lock on www.pc-magic.com. This program allows password protection to be applied to a cd at the time of burning.

Collapse -
Thanks Tyler.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 4, 2004 7:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:Re:CD Security
Collapse -
Re:Re:CD Security
by RogAdele / June 4, 2004 8:25 PM PDT

Two ways for security...an industry standard software, OR put a chain thru your collexion and lock them. If stolen, Bye bye! Suggest make two copies of your discs and store in different locations if they're that valuable!
RogAdele

Collapse -
by billzhills / June 5, 2004 12:44 AM PDT

Saftey Deposit Box.

Collapse -
Why thanks to Tyler
by zu / June 6, 2004 4:58 PM PDT

Tyler's suggestion is appreciated by those of us who want to password-protect a CD against other users (i.e. not necessarily against professional password-crackers) but without having to encrypt all the contents. (The sort of thing it used to be possible to do to a Zip disk.)

Suggestions of any other software that will do this would be very appreciated!

Collapse -
Thanks to Tyler because their post found other tools...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 6, 2004 9:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Why thanks to Tyler

When I read Tyler's response, it reminded me of a CDR FAQ entry about this.

As such, we have Tyler's offering and we have the passage in the CDR FAQ.

For now, I see solutions aplenty and miss what didn't satisfy the need. I did read "without having to encrypt all the contents." which is possible with some of the solutions. Of course, some seek nirvana, but we can't do that.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.