Storage forum

General discussion

CD-RW Problems

by lovedoctx / April 25, 2004 3:52 AM PDT

I am having a problem with my CD-RW. I have an HP Cd-Writer 9100i Series. One day all of a sudden my CD-RW just up and stopped reading my burned disks. It can read store bought cd's, just not the ones I burned. (Also same problem with my DVD-Player) Any Audio, Video, or Data cd's that I have burned are now useless. Windows tells me it is a blank disk when I know there is data on it. I have researched the problem on the HP website, Windows website, and the internet in general with no luck. I do what the websites say, but it still doesn't work. I have a backup cd of my Windows XP Professional installation cd and I want to re-install my OS. Problem is, it's a no can do because my CD-RW won't read it. (I did have original cd, I like to make copies of my cd's so that if something happens to my original, as in this case) If my OS was to mess up, there is nothing I can do. I have Windows ME setup disk, but it is an upgrade.....I have a burned Windows 98 cd.....which I need to work so that I can verify I have an earlier version. If there is anyone out there that could help, please let me know.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CD-RW Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CD-RW Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:CD-RW Problems
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2004 4:02 AM PDT
In reply to: CD-RW Problems

Try a CD Lens Cleaner, find and install what FIRMWARE you can for the drive, then replace the drive.

It is possible you created those CDs with DLA or DirectCD or other, but you didn't write such. Those disks will vanish until you install DLA or what you used to create them.

In closing, any CD you want to backup, if you use DLA/InCD/DirectCD/FileCD or other CD as a drive software, you will someday learn why I don't use that method.

Bob

Collapse -
by lovedoctx / April 25, 2004 4:35 AM PDT

I have found firmware for my cd writer. There is one problem with it. I have to have the original software that came with the disk installed. The problem is that when I install the software, it installs drivers that are not compatible with Windows XP. I install my HP DLA and when I try to read the disk it gives me the error of:

H:/ is not accessible
Incorrect Function

I have used HP DLA on some disks, Nero on some and MusicMatch Jukebox on others also. I have all 3 programs installed. I even have a CD Recovery Tool that used to work but not anymore.

Collapse -
by lovedoctx / April 25, 2004 5:33 AM PDT

I have checked version of my Firmware and Manufacturer Firmware and they are both Version 1.0

Collapse -
9100a seems to have newer floating around.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2004 6:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:CD-RW Problems
http://www.xs4all.nl/~rrademak/Hp9100/firmware_9100.html and others note beyond a 2.x version.

DLA has updates at HP.com.

If you've tossed out original CDs with such software, there's not much that can be done from here, but I do see your issue.

DLA made CDs will require... DLA. Did the CD lens cleaner do anything?

Bob
Collapse -
Re:9100a seems to have newer floating around.
by lovedoctx / April 26, 2004 10:20 AM PDT

The CD Lens Cleaner hasn't done anything. When I went to the website and d/l'ed the .rar and went to the FlashTool it said I didn't have any supported drives.

Collapse -
It was worth a shot.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 26, 2004 10:28 AM PDT

What happens if you replace the drive?

As to firmware, while I found newer, such was not found at HP.COM so I looked with Google.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:It was worth a shot.
by lovedoctx / April 26, 2004 12:24 PM PDT
In reply to: It was worth a shot.

I haven't replaced the drive yet. I can give it a try.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?