Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Cd-Rw permission

Morning Group
Dell P3 800mhz
Windows Me
Cd-rw Lite-on sohr 5238s

I recently install new cd-rw in the place of a cd-rom in the d:\ drive. No changes to slave or master jumpers. Took out rom and put rw in its place. This rw uses nero 6 software.

I am able to dowmload all programs on my harddrive to cd-rw disc. Including subject file.

Trying to download aawsepersonnel.exe from web to rw and get error message "you do not have permission to open this file. See the owner of the file or an administrator to obtain permission." This file will download to hd and open. Then I can download to rw.

Searched c/net and found thread to set file share under access account same was already checked.

I can download from web to floppy with no problems.
I use nero 6 to download from hd to disc should I be using nero 6 some way for web to disc downloads.
How do I solve this problem.
Any help will be greatly appeciated
Ray

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cd-Rw permission
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cd-Rw permission
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not enough clues.

In reply to: Cd-Rw permission

Sorry, but you didn't tell how this download occured as well as what CDRW support software that gives you the ability to save to the CDRW media.

Nero 6 is CDR/W recording software. InCD might be installed which might turn a CDRW disk into a drive. But I've never found it to work every time.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Not enough clues.

In reply to: Not enough clues.

Bob
Sorry about the missing info. I tried downloading directly from Major geeks to drive d:\ which is the cd-rw.
Software is Nero oem suite and includes Dos Drivers.Nero Express 6,InCD 4,Drive Manual and acrobat Reader.

What do you suggest I use as replacment for Incd 4.

Hope this helps Thanks
Ray

Collapse -
Not told...

In reply to: Re: Not enough clues.

What I don't see is that InCD is installed and a CDRW has been formatted with InCD. Then and only then it might work.

Sometimes you can't download directly to the CDRW and I offer no cure for that. However you could save to the hard disk and then put it on the CDRW. This issue also is noted by Quicken and other softwares as well.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Continuing problem cdr-rw

In reply to: Not told...

Hi group

Dell 800hmz 128 ram
Windows me

I have installed a Liteon sohr5238s cdr-rw 52x drive in the place of a rom drive. I have nero express 6 incd4 easy writer and nero media player software all installed and reinstalled.
I can transfer data from harddisk to cd drive using a cd-r disc at 52x. All data readible and transferable.
I formatted a 24x rw disc using MRW format which the liteon supports it formated completely. When I try to transfer the same data from the harddisk as I transfer to the r disc I do not get an error message until it verfies data. The error message is "unable to verify" The summary shows no files transfer and the disc is blank when opened in drive d which is cd drive.
Have looked at all help files and "FAQ" I can find.
Thanks for your help in advance How do I get rw to work.
Ray

Collapse -
Nice. But I'd go with UDF until...

In reply to: Re: Continuing problem cdr-rw

The ranier format is likely to show issues. UDF was never totally reliable and you are beta testing for someone here.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Nice. But I'd go with UDF until...

In reply to: Nice. But I'd go with UDF until...

Unchecked Ranier from format options panel. Inserted rw which had been formatted with Ranier to reformat. Format ran about 75% of the progress bar then I got message "Error writing the disc in d drive.""Please confirm that the disc is compatible with the drive and is not scratched or damaged"
The r disc which works is Memorex 52x the rw disc is Memorex 24x. The burning software shows it as 24x.
Formatted a new rw disc and it showed a completed format. After completing format it opened Media player and said it would try to run disc. I had not tried to download anything onto this disc. Is this the format that media player is trying to read.
Tried downloading program to newly formatted disc went thru cycle and again got "fail to verify data." Nothing showing on disc.
Tried to reformat newly formatted disc and again got error message as above. If the Memorex works in r why would it not work in rw.
Whats happening where do I go from here?

Collapse -
Looks like a warranty issue now.

In reply to: Re: Nice. But I'd go with UDF until...

Sadly, this is the plight of some products. They don't work out of the box.

Have you tried to make CDs without UDF or Ranier?

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Looks like a warranty issue now.

In reply to: Looks like a warranty issue now.

Yes it will make r and rw without formatting from the harddrive.
Whichs takes me back to the original thread.
It will not download onto unformatted disc from the web I tried Major geeks and nonags and I get the original message " you do not have permission to open this file" "See the owner of the file or an administrator to obtain permission"
I tried formatted disc with udf and mrw formatting they do not ever start downloading.
Thanks for all your help Bob hope you never leave c/net forum.
Ray

Collapse -
Wish I had a solid cure for you...

In reply to: Re: Looks like a warranty issue now.

But the issue seems to follow InCD and DirectCD owners. Quicken gets calls daily on this issue.

And thank you,

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.