Desktops forum

General discussion

CD-RW drive problems

My Compaq Presario 5BWN21 desktop PC has been having problems with the CD-RW drive. Last night I had to go inside of the tower to look at the hard drive, which means in my case, I had to remove the CD-RW drive. Anyway, i got the computer back together and everything was fine except for the CD-RW drive. All of the cables are hooked up, and it blinks and lights up at startup, but Windows 98Se dosen't detect it. I went under the System Icon and checked the device maganger and it dosen't list it. However, it does list my other CD-ROM drive. I contacted Compaq and they told me to boot into safe mode and uninstall the drivers there. I tried to do that; the computer will not let me boot into saft mode; however, when I woke up this morning, it let me boot into safe mode. Then everything started to work; I got the thing to work, then the computer froze and I had to restart; once again, it wouldn't let me boot into safe mode. I contacted Compaq again, they told me to make a Win 98 Bootable Diskette so I could restore the computer to an earlier time; i did that. Still wouldn't let me boot into Safe Mode. Anyway, please help me!!! I just want the computer to get into safe mode. The computer: Compaq Presario 5BWN21, Windows 98 SE, 128MB RAM, 20GB Hard Drive, LG CED-8080B CD-RW drive.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CD-RW drive problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CD-RW drive problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: CD-RW drive problems

In reply to: CD-RW drive problems

I looked at that model number and it debued in 2000 and seems to last shipped in 2000. That's a 4 plus year old drive.

Cut your time loss NOW. Try another drive.

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: CD-RW drive problems

The only problem is that is my mothers computer, and she said that she isn't going to buy a CD-RW drive. Were going to get a new computer in a couple of months anyway, I just want to get the drive working, can you help me?

Collapse -

If the drive is dead, then how can I help you?

If the machine has two CD drives, have a friend make a KNOPPIX CD and test the drive with K3b.

What more help can you get?

Bob

Collapse -

The drive isn't dead, it just isn't being detected by Windows. It blinks and lights up, and will even let you put a CD in it, but it isn't being detected by Windows.

Collapse -
CD-RW drive noted by???

In reply to: CD-RW drive problems

If you didn't plug in the CDRW drive wide IDE cable proper (both ends) then what you write will happen.

Does the BIOS see the Drive?

Does a DOS boot diskette show the drive?

Bob

Collapse -
Re: CD-RW drive noted by???

In reply to: CD-RW drive noted by???

After sitting for and hour, the computer let me boot into Safe Mode. It boots up, let me uninstall the drive, and I thought it would work, however, it didn't reinstall the drive when I booted into Windows. Here is the answer to you questions:

1. Yes. That is how I knew the drive model, make, etc.

2. I don't remember if it did. I don't think it did.

I might just wait to get the thing fixed when we get a new computer.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.