Computer Help forum

General discussion

CD-ROM trouble

by tragikomik / November 1, 2004 12:15 PM PST

What can cause a CD-ROM to stop playing? I think there is still power to it, because the light flickers when I boot up, but no sound. I was transferring files from cd to the hard drive, and it just quit playing. The program said there was no cd in the drive, and when I backtracked to the files that were being copied when the trouble began, it was very fuzzy and scratchy during playback as an mp3. I can't even hear it spinning anymore!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CD-ROM trouble
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CD-ROM trouble
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: CD-ROM trouble
by Stan Chambers / November 1, 2004 2:14 PM PST
In reply to: CD-ROM trouble

If you look in device manager, what does it report?
cd drives, like any component with moving parts, have a higher failure rate.
I usually install the drive in another computer to see if it will work there. If not, I'm off to the store for a new drive.
Hope this will help.

Collapse -
by Willy / November 1, 2004 8:36 PM PST

CD drives do fail more often than not. You should at least clean and blow out it out. Use a CD cleaner plus some "canned air" to help blow any dust out. Retry to play or simply access any data from a pgm. on a CD, not just music. If it still fails, check the status upon bootup, it is shown during the bios display? Is it present in the device manager of windows? If a red/yellow flag is present there, delete that CD device line, exit out and reboot. Take notice of any other red/yellow flags, they need attention too. It should try to re-install device and hopefully it may clear up. If not, consider the drive dead and needs a new one.

good luck -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
by tragikomik / November 2, 2004 12:17 AM PST

There's no problems in device manager (one of the first things I checked). I can hear it running when I close the door, but it sputters like a car tat can't start. I don't think it's very old either. I've only had it for a few weeks.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) which computer is this on?
by TONI H / November 2, 2004 12:23 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: (NT) which computer is this on?
by tragikomik / November 2, 2004 4:31 AM PST

It's on the newer one, Toni. I've already donated the older one. Do you think whatever is causing this may be what's preventing me from playing DVDs?

Collapse -
by TONI H / November 2, 2004 4:40 AM PST

It's a brand new dvdrom/cdrw, Jason...it will only read dvd's but not burn them. The problem you seemed to be having via emails to me was that you couldn't get Media Player associated to view the movie as you inserted the disk. I don't think we have that resolved yet.... But it wasn't having any problems copying or burning data before. What type of files were you trying to copy and how were you doing it?

If they were 'data mp3' files you were trying to put back onto your harddrive so you could burn them to a music cd, that's one thing. Trying to 'rip' a regular music cd to the harddrive in order to pick and choose certain tracks to burn to another cd, is another method and needs a separate program to do that.

Does the cdrom work for other tasks?

TONI

Collapse -
by tragikomik / November 2, 2004 4:59 AM PST

Toni, i had copied about five cds altogether over about three days. I was just copying from beginning to end, with no changes. And they were all just regular, store-bought cds. I was using the Roxio. I tried cd-rom data disks, like the windows update disk, but still got nothing. I checked device manager, no problems there. I can hear it when I put a cd in and shut the door, as I've already said, but it's not making the high speed spinning sound like it was before. It's more of a sputtering sound for a while, then that stops. I just can't understand it.

Collapse -
OK...couple of things
by TONI H / November 2, 2004 5:56 AM PST

First you can go here to download a free dvd player. It includes all the codecs and decoders you need. And it will ask if you want it to be the default viewer at the end...say yes. It works (I just installed it on my W98SE backup unit....) BUT it won't recognize a burned copy of a movie...only an original.

http://www.cliprex.com/

As for the other issue......try copying a different cd. Most of the newer burners won't recognize a cd disk that is BLUE in color (which was very popular a couple of years ago for the slower devices). It should be able to see the GOLD or GREEN or SILVER ok and I would test one of those.

I also found that with my EZCD COPY DISK program that I could only copy three or four cd's back to back and I would also have that program tell me it couldn't read....so shut it down (the program) and try it again after a fresh reboot.

TONI

Collapse -
About Cliprex...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2004 6:07 AM PST
In reply to: OK...couple of things
Collapse -
Re: About Cliprex...to be honest
by TONI H / November 2, 2004 6:30 AM PST
In reply to: About Cliprex...

I didn't run a review check on it as I was hurrying to find a player for him......if you have a link to a better one since this one seems to be crappy (thanks for your searching and heads up) I would also appreciate knowing about it for myself, Bob.

TONI

Collapse -
Here's why no free DVD players.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2004 6:40 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: OK...couple of things
by tragikomik / November 2, 2004 6:19 AM PST
In reply to: OK...couple of things

It was last night when it quit on me. So it's been shut down many times since then. The cds were all regular store-bought cds, which is all I have. Saturday was the first time I'd ever tried to do anything with Roxio. It's a killer program, even though I have yet to really enjoy the full benefits of it, lol. i just can't believe that it could be the cd drive, but it doesn't seem to be turning at all now. Maybe I should pass on the cliprex, eh. Happy

Collapse -
by tragikomik / November 2, 2004 6:41 AM PST

You guys think maybe I have some kind of freaky electrical property that causes current to misbehave? I'm beginning to wonder, myself.

Collapse -
Hey, CD drives can fail and even early
by Ray Harinec / November 2, 2004 7:02 AM PST

in their life. Just troubleshoot in accordance with the guidance provided.

Let's not think about wierd electrical effects. The computer works, doesn't it.

How are you trying to simply read a data CD? You said that you have a Windows upodate CD. Go into Windows Explorer [not Internet Explorer] with the CD in the drive and click on the drive in explorer. What happens?

Collapse -
This does not require using Roxio or Nero,
by Ray Harinec / November 2, 2004 7:05 AM PST

Just the Windows CD driver that gets automatically installed with no help from its friends. Isn't some of that from a Beatles song or???

Collapse -
Re: Hey, CD drives can fail and even early
by tragikomik / November 2, 2004 7:15 AM PST

Lol, just a thought, Bob. Maybe I've watched the X-Files to long. I get the 'device not ready, Drive D: is not accessible' from windows explorer.

Collapse -
First try
by TONI H / November 2, 2004 7:22 AM PST

removing the device from Device Mgr...then reboot and try the device again.

If you get the same error, the cable may have come loose during shipment to you, and vibration from the cd being used knocked it even looser to where it can't work at all. Open the case, remove the cable from the motherboard end and reseat it tightly...then do the same at the back of the dvd/cdrw drive.

You only have to remove the side of the case that has the fan on it to do this.

Reboot and try it again.

TONI

Collapse -
Re: First try
by tragikomik / November 2, 2004 8:31 AM PST
In reply to: First try

I'll get right on it, Toni. I'vr got one more little piece of homework to square up first, so give me a bit. Is it possible for the light on the front of the drive to work but not the drive itself?

Collapse -
yes
by TONI H / November 2, 2004 8:49 AM PST
In reply to: Re: First try

because the light comes on with the power connector on the back of it.....but if the data (large flat gray cable) cable is loose, the data won't be able to flow correctly and you'll get a 'drive not ready' error, which might possibly be what's happening.

TONI

Collapse -
by Willy / November 2, 2004 6:45 AM PST

How VLC player at http://www.videolan.org

Its a free player but basic one. However, it really is good enough for most media. It's virus free too.

As the CD drive itself, i know some drives may not get enough power. So, unless you're sure of the power supply, I wouldn't discount it as a factor. Reverify all connections as well, just reseat them several times.

good luck -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?