Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

CD Rom's Missing!

by Donita / December 1, 2004 10:36 AM PST

My DVD Rom and my CD-R are gone from device manager and are not shown when I open "My Computer". They both are powered and open and close just fine. They appear to be reading a CD when inserted but nothing happens. In device manager the primary and secondary IDE controllers have those yellow exclamation points. Both controllers have this status:This device is either not present, not working, or does not have all drivers installed.(Code 10)Under the performance tab, all the remaining drives(C,D,E)are using MS-DOS compatability mode file system. Both of these problems(the missing Rom's and the MS-DOS thing) occured at the same time. Nothing had been changed or removed or upgraded. I tried removing and reinstalling the Standard Dual PCI IDE controller but that did not help. I've run a virus scan as well as Adaware and found nothing. I have no clue what to do, can anyone please help? Thank in advance. Sorry about the long post but I wanted cover as much as possible.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CD Rom's Missing!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CD Rom's Missing!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
One more thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2004 10:56 AM PST
In reply to: CD Rom's Missing!
Collapse -
Re: One more thing.
by Donita / December 1, 2004 11:09 AM PST
In reply to: One more thing.

The PC is one I put together. Motherboard is an Asus A7N8X Deluxe. I last checked for new mobo drivers about a month ago but there was nothing new. I also tried changing the IDE cables just to see if that was the problem. I will check those articles to see if they help.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2004 11:24 AM PST
In reply to: Re: One more thing.

Checking for such is not doing the install. I would install the motherboard driver package again then make sure that all the IDE channels are enabled in the BIOS as well as Windows.

Bob

Collapse -
by Donita / December 1, 2004 11:24 AM PST
In reply to: One more thing.

I had to remove the Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller so I could reinstall the driver. If I try to update the driver through the "update driver" button I'm only allowed to use the driver already selected. No matter which driver I choose, the wizard says " windows has found the best driver, click next to continue with this driver or click back to choose another driver. I can select another driver but I get the same message. Any way, that didn't help.

Collapse -
That doesn't work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2004 8:43 PM PST
In reply to: Re: One more thing.

' If I try to update the driver through the "update driver" button I'm only allowed to use the driver already selected. No matter which driver I choose, the wizard says " windows has found the best driver,'

The Driver Update button will do just that. Microsoft does not supply all drivers. When you find the make/model of machine and/or motherboard we can find the drivers to re-enable the IDE proper.

The same issue will occur when you reinstall this OS.

Just asking. Since Windows 98 has not been offered on machines since about 2000, you must be quite a pro at Windows 98? What I'm asking is for a little story.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: CD Rom's Missing!
by Kees Bakker / December 1, 2004 5:45 PM PST
In reply to: CD Rom's Missing!

Assuming both devices are on the secondary IDE (one as master, one as slave) try both separately as a master. One might be defective ("the device is ... not working ...). Notice at least the four points below for each configuration.

What does the BIOS setup screen tell about these devices?
What does the POST device reporting at bootup tell about these devices?
If you boot from a MS-DOS boot diskette with CD-support (note the drive-letter used!) and you put a CD in, can you get a directory listing (dir r: if the drive letter is r:)?

All of this is to prove that it isn't a Windows problem, but a problem deeper in the machine or the hardware.

Kees

Collapse -
by Donita / December 1, 2004 7:29 PM PST
In reply to: Re: CD Rom's Missing!

All drives are detected in the bios and at startup. The post reports no problems. When booting with a starup disk I can access both optical drives. They also appear when booting into safe mode. Another problem is the PC won't shut down or restart. It freezes at the shut down screen and I have to either hit the reset button or hold the power button for the soft off.

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / December 1, 2004 10:19 PM PST
PART I - Shutdown

1. Please read, "Why bother fixing this problem?"

2. Shutdown failure may seem like a purely cosmetic problem, so you might be wondering why you should take the time to fix it. The reason is that snags in the shutdown process can have serious ramifications for a system. Because the cache may not have finished dumping its contents to disk, turning off the machine prematurely can lead to data corruption. Improper shutdowns can also cause your hard disk to slowly fill up since Windows may not get the chance to remove temporary files. Shutdown problems can be caused by many factors which may included damaged exit sound files; incorrectly configured, damaged, or incompatible hardware; conflicting programs, or an incompatible, damaged, or conflicting device drivers.

3. Programs in the StartUp folder:

a. Sometimes a corrupt program in the StartUp folder can prevent a computer from shutting down properly as well as subsequent loading/use of an errant program/application that did not terminate properly. To find out if it applies for start-up, create a new folder and move the contents of the StartUp folder there. Next, restart your computer and then try to shut it down. If the computer shuts down successfully, you can assume there is a problem with one of the programs being loaded initially from this folder. To pinpoint the troublemaker, move a file back into the original StartUp folder, then one at a time after afterwards, restarting the computer each time and atttempting a clean shut down. If the shutdown process fails after a file moved back, you'll know it was the cause.

Note: To resolve this situation, you can permanently remove the program from the StartUp folder. In this case, a program should be reinstalled since it may have corrupted files. If none of the programs in the StartUp folder are causing your system to hang during shutdown, you'll have to look elsewhere for the source. Let's take a look at some other possibilities. However, do consider placing a check mark in the box labeled, "Disable fast shutdown" (General tab, Advanced button). In addition, users of Windows 98 Second Edition should download and install the "Shutdown Supplement"

b. Windows 98 users may use the System Configuration Utility tool to disable programs but you may find the above easier and quicker. However, review the entire reference first. Supplemental reading: (opens in a separate window):

(1) "Computer Stops Responding When You Try to Shut It Down (Q196008)."

(2) "How to Troubleshoot Windows 98 Shutdown Problems (Q202633)."

3. To configure Windows not to use the Plug and Play BIOS to determine if the problem is caused by such devices:

a. Restart your computer, and press and hold CTRL until you see the Windows 98 Startup menu.

b. Choose Command Prompt Only and type the following lines at the command prompt, pressing Enter after each line:

cd \windows\system
Rename Bios.vxd Bios.old

c. Restart your computer and attempt to shut down Windows to see if the anomaly disappears. If it did, there is possible P&P enumeration problems of some sort.

d. After the "test" is completed, rename the Bios.old back to Bios.vxd.

4. When a Win98 computer is started, the Startup menu may appear and display the following error message which can occur if Windows was unable to delete the Wnbootng.sts file in the Windows folder the last time the computer booted. This file is automatically deleted after a successfully start and not normally resident. If it was started once and the deletion was unsuccessful, subsequent starts will cause the same anomaly until the file is removed manually, [Q143283]:

Warning: Windows did not finish loading on the previous attempt. Choose Safe mode, to start Windows with a minimal set of drivers

5. A site that covers shutdown problems with recommendations is, "James A. Eshelman - Supporting Microsoft Desktop Systems, Windows 95, 98, "Me" & leading application software."

6. Subject: "How Win.com Determines Improper Shutdown":

a. Of the first 112 bytes of the FAT32, the first 8 bytes are reserved. The eighth byte of the reserved area by default, is 0F. The virtual file allocation table (VFAT) and the Windows 98 shutdown process manipulate the fourth bit of this byte to 1 (Windows was properly shutdown) or 0 (VFAT was written to disk).

b. When a file is written to the disk, VFAT handles the write. During the write, VFAT clears the fourth bit to 0 (07h). When Windows 98 exits properly, this bit is reset to 1. During reboot, Win.com reads that bit. If it is set to 0, ScanDisk is run to check the drive for errors.

PART II - Clean Start

1. The article [Q192926] discusses the Clean-boot troubleshooting process and procedure to perform a Diagnostic Startup and refers to methods of reducing behaviors that may occur because of the system's environment. Many behaviors that occur when Windows or programs run occur because there are conflicting drivers, terminate-and-stay-resident programs (TSRs), and other settings and programs that are loaded as part of the boot process and these files and programs help create the environment that is used by the operating system when the computer starts. The computer's environment includes -- but is not limited to, the settings from the following files:

Msdos.sys
Config.sys
Autoexec.bat
Winboot.ini
Windows\Winstart.bat
Windows\System.ini
Windows\Win.ini
Windows\Wininit.ini
Windows\System.dat
Windows\User.dat

2. Static VXD errors:

a. If it is suspected there is an error with a static x.VXD file, follow the above instructions and after answering Yes to Load all Windows drivers?, follow the below instructions:

b. Note each static x.VXD file loading and respond with No to avoid loading any. Below is an assumed list:

Vnetsup.vxd - Microsoft Networking
Ndis.vxd - Microsoft Networking
Ndis2sup.vxd - Microsoft Networking
Javasup.vxd - Microsoft Java
Vrtwd.386 - Clock
Vfixd.vxd - Video Phone helper
Vnetbios.vxd - Microsoft Networking
Vserver.vxd - Microsoft Networking
Vredir.vxd - Microsoft Networking
Dfs.vxd - Microsoft Networking
Ndiswan.vxd - Microsoft Networking
Msmouse.vxd - Microsoft Mouse

c. If the problem no longer occurs when responding with a No response 100%, repeat the procedure and respond with a Yes to 25% of the VXD files. Once the problem occurs, isolate that percentage where occuring and then respond to them with a Yes one at a time to identify the particular static x.VXD causing the problem.

Note: Once the responsible file is identified, delete the incompatible static x.VXD folder/file from the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD

3. CONFIG.SYS file:

a. The Config.sys file is provided for backwards compatibility with MS-DOS-based and older Windows-based programs and may not be present on your computer. It loads low-level MS-DOS-based drivers, many with a system (.sys) extension.

b. If you find an error in the Config.sys file start MSCONFIG as indicated above and click the respective tab. Remove the check mark from the box based on the notes you compiled.

Note: When you click to clear an entry in a file, a remark statement is placed at the beginning of each line. For the Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files, rem tshoot is used, followed by a space. For the System.ini and Win.ini files, tshoot is used, followed by a space. These remarks are removed when you click to select an entry that was cleared previously. When you click to select an item in the Startup tab, the registry entry is restored to its original location.

c. Depending on the type of entry you are correcting there are several things to consider:

? Is the device activation critical or can it be eliminated?

? If necessary for system operation is the error due to pathname, a corrupt or missing file?

4. AUTOEXEC.BAT file:

a. The Autoexec.bat file is also provided for backwards compatibility with MS-DOS-based and older Windows-based programs and may not be present on your computer. It loads MS-DOS-based programs, often with .com and .exe extensions.

b. ditto the procedures for Config.sys.

5. SYSTEM.INI file:

a. The System.ini file contains information about your computer's settings for specific hardware. This file must be present in the Windows folder for Windows to start. It is used to load various drivers including sound and video adapter drivers. It may also contain additional 16-bit drivers for hardware does not use 32-bit drivers.

b. Ditto the procedures for Config.sys.

6. WIN.INI file:

a. The Win.ini file contains information specific to the overall appearance of Windows. This file must be present in the Windows folder or it is re- created by Windows, is read at startup for backwards-compatibility with Windows 3.x, and many of the settings are duplicated in the registry. When you clear the Process Win.ini File check box in the System Configuration Utility, a generic version of the Win.ini file is created.

b. Ditto the procedures for Config.sys.

7. BOOTLOG.TXT file:

a. Create a Bootlog.txt (hidden file in the root of C:\). When starting the computer, use the Startup Menu to create a one-time Bootlog.txt file. Please be advised that Windows will boot much slower during the process.

Note: When examining this file in any text editor -- Notepad in Windows, or simply typing the following command at the MS-DOS prompt and then pressing Enter (clicking the icon in front of MS_DOS Prompt in the top colored bar provides MS-DOS commands), look for lines ending in LoadFailure which may indicate either a device or software problem.

b. The article [Q127970] discusses the hidden Bootlog.txt file located in the root folder, describes content, and explains certain items that may be indicated as a Load Failed which does not necessarily indicate a problem.

c. The article [Q118579] explains the root folder text file Msdos.sys set with Read-Only, System, and Hidden attributes, that this file is set to be at least 1,024 bytes in length, and describes the [Options] section that contain the settings and their meaning. Instructions are contained which allows a user to set certain options which creates the Bootlog.txt file during boot.

d. It is recommended that "Boot Log Analyser, Vision 4 Ltd" be downloaded from this link and used.

8. LAST BUT NOT LEAST: Return the "System Configuration Utility" (MSCONFIG) to Normal Startup, follow these steps:

a. On the General tab, click Normal Startup, and then click OK.

b. When you are prompted to restart the computer, click No.

9. Supplemental reading:

a. "Description of the Disk Cleanup Tool (Q186099)."

b. "Troubleshooting Windows 98 Startup Problems (Q188867)."

PART III - CD-Rom

1. Start with "The CD-ROM drive cannot be recognized or seen by the system, or the CD-ROM driver hangs or says it cannot find the CD-ROM when it loads."

2. If devices are recognized as attached peripherals they will be listed as resident on the "System Configuration Summary" (BIOS Startup Screen) at boot. Press the Pause key as soon as you see this screen start displaying so it can be stopped and read. Press any other key to continue. If the CMOS/BIOS does not recognize and display peripheral information on this screen, Windows certainly will not.

Note: Enter the BIOS and set the particular controller where a single CD-ROM drive is attached to None instead of AutoDetect.

(PCGuide Web site quote)

The BIOS is not autodetecting the CD-ROM drive when the system boots up:

Explanation: Your BIOS supports detecting CD-ROM drives when it autodetects at boot time, but either consistently or intermittently does not detect your drive.

Diagnosis: Support for detecting CD-ROM drives in BIOSes can be rather spotty. Newer ones usually support this feature but older ones don't. I have also seen drives that are sometimes detected and sometimes not. Ironically, the BIOS doesn't really do anything when it autodetects a CD-ROM, unlike when it detects a hard disk. The CD-ROM is controlled entirely by the software driver. So in short, it doesn't really matter much if the CD-ROM is detected in the BIOS or not.

Recommendation: Don't worry about it.

(End quote)

3. Use an Emergency Startup Disk/EBD with BIOS properly set to boot to start the computer and see if access to the CD drive is possible and a director listing can be performed by typing dir at the command prompt and then pressing Enter - do this with several CDs without rebooting to see if access to different CDs operate correctly.

4. Test a CD drive using the Windows 98 "Microsoft System Information (MSINFO32.EXE)" (Click to see an example screenshot) tool, which is a tool for gathering system configuration information and is intended primarily to help engineers determine information that could indicate problems with a system (click the + (plus sign) in front of "Components", and then "Multimedia").

5. Edit the Registry for anomalous entries:

a. Click Start Run and type regedit and then press Enter.

b. If the CD drive in question is IDE, and there are no SCSI drives on this computer, delete the key entry for HKLM\Enum\SCSI.

c. If there are entries other than the one 0000 sub-key in the following registry address - others numbered greater than four zeros, remove them:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Service\Class\CDROM\0000

6. If any updates from the Microsoft site has been integrated into the system just prior to this anomaly occuring, uninstall those and see if the problem is corrected (click Start, Run, type msinfo32, and then press Enter. From the Tools menu, select Update Wizard Uninstall, and follow the instructions).

Note: If you'd like to compare the before and after process before initiating the uninstall, there are two and perhaps more, registry addresses involved which are listed below. Export the main key address for which these two sub-addresses fall, and after initiating the Update Wizard Uninstall and then compare the two (TEXT) file for differences:

a. To start the System Registry Editor, click Start, Run, type regedit, and then press Enter.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\MF\CHILD0000
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\MF\CHILD0001

Note: Click the Plus box in front of HKLM to expand it and continue clicking/expanding appropriate folders (each word preceded by a slash in the above address) until reaching the last folder named "MF". As sub-folder to this address, you should find the last two items.

b. Click CHILD0000 so this key has focus (bolded). Click Registry in the main menu and select Export registry file. Select where you want it saved (floppy perhaps) and change the extension of the file type to .txt - don't want you accidentally double-clicking it and that information be re-entered into the system registry, which it would if the file has a .reg extension. I'd simply use the file name as reflected for that address (child0000.txt). Do the same for the second address indicated. Should you want the deletions from the registry re-integrated, simply change the extension of .txt to .reg to merge it back.

c. If you have accomplished the above, or simply looked at the information contained in the registry, click Registry in the main menu and select Exit. Or simply click the tiny x in the URHC of the window to close.

Note: To check the differences after an uninstall, open the registry again and compare what is seen there as compared to the the exported text file(s) -- most likely the line "DeviceDesc"=".

Warning: The article [Q194847] explains that when a device driver is chosen to uninstall, the newer version is removed (no backup copy is saved) and the older version is reinstalled.

Note: The article [Q273851] explains that when an attempt to view the list of Windows Update packages available for uninstall, the following error message may be received and may occur because this wizard is used only to uninstall device drivers that have been installed, not software packages:

? No packages available for uninstall

PART IV - DVD-Rom

1. DVD is simply a large storage medium much like CD-ROM and support is based on an WDM Stream class driver issued by the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) who created the WDM decoder (controller) card that is subsequently installed on a computer. Non-WDM components may include a class driver for the DVD-ROM drive, a collection of DirectMovie filters, and the Universal Disk Format (UDF) file system to ensure support for UDF-formatted DVD disks. Note that a single WDM Stream demands a potentially large and constant load on a computer, over what could be considered a long time in computer terms. For DVD, the system must be able to independently manage and decode at least four separate streams: MPEG-2 video; AC-3 or MPEG-2 audio; Subpicture; and Navigation. This must be done so that Streams are totally synchronized when they reach their final destinations with no dropped frames or degraded video. This requires precision in load balancing, synchronization, and processing.

2. Many devices rely on the WDM Stream class driver(s). They are uses as a standard interface for interconnecting device drivers to optimize the flow of data within the Windows kernel. A WDM Stream class driver is used by some audio devices and video-capture devices, as well as hardware decoders (such as MPEG-2) used for playing DVD movies. In addition, the class driver helps to deal with common operating system tasks, such as direct memory access (DMA), scatter/gather memory use, and Plug and Play. The WDM Stream class driver functions on both internal and external buses.

3. The Universal Disk Format (UDF) system supports reading media formatted according to UDF specification 1.02 included by default in the Windows operating system. Most DVD movie discs are authored with UDF bridge format, which contains both the ISO-9660 and the UDF file system structures. To determine if a disc is mounted by UDF or CDFS, check the properties of the drive in Explorer. In My Computer, right-click the drive, and then click Properties. The File System line in the properties page should indicate the disc is mounted by UDF or CDFS. Unlike CDFS, UDF is a generic file system, but it is primarily used by DVD.

Note: Although most DVD discs contain both ISO 9660 and UDF file system structures, UDF takes precedence in mounting such discs. If UDF is disabled, CDFS will try to mount. However, Microsoft DVD playback software requires UDF be mounted on DVD discs.

4. After the BIOS initialization, the Windows operating system attempts to determine the current configuration for all devices. The hardware profile (built by a detection process that collected information about interrupt usage, BIOS serial and parallel ports, BIOS computer identification, Plug and Play BIOS docking station data, and, if possible, docking station data that is unique to each original equipment manufacturer (OEM)) is then checked. If everything appears in order, the real-mode startup process is started in static configurations only (that is, no dynamic resource allocation or arbitration is provided yet). When the Windows system startup process switches to protected mode, the Windows Configuration Manager ensures all devices have been properly configured.

5. Windows then uses a safe detection method to search for hints from configuration files, read-only memory (ROM) strings, or drivers loaded in memory to determine whether the computer contains each class of hardware recognized during boot. If no such hints are found, the detection process skips detection of the entire class. If hints are found, the detection process seeks information from specific I/O ports for that device. It tries to detect any hardware resource conflicts early in this process to perhaps avoid the problems that occur when such hardware resources as Interrupt Requests (IRQs), I/O addresses, and direct memory access (DMA) are used by more than one device.

Note: UDF can be turned off for troubleshooting (Click Start, Run, type msconfig and then press Enter. Click the Advanced tab and then click to select the Disable UDF file system check box. When finished troubleshooting, clear the Disable UDF file system checkbox to re-enable).

6. DVD encompasses a broad range of uses and technologies and the use of DVD must be viewed in the context of the whole computer. It is especially important for Entertainment PCs, but is also important for any multimedia hardware platform that wants to provide good quality support for playback of movies.

a. DVD-ROM class driver - is provided in the Windows Driver Model (WDM) DVD-ROM device driver in WinXP. In Win98/Me and Win2000, the DVD-ROM has its own industry-defined command set referred to during development as the Mt. Fuji command set and support is provided by an updated CD-ROM class driver supporting the full Mt. Fuji command set, including commands for copyright protection by default.

b. Universal Disc Format (UDF) file system - is provided in Win98/Me and Win2000/XP which provides UDF installable file systems similar to FAT and FAT32 by default.

c. Windows Driver Model Streaming Class Driver - is a single binary fully compatible across Win98/Me and Win2000/XP, written to follow WDM support and the WDM Streaming class driver supports streaming data types that will support MPEG-2 and AC-3 hardware decoders. Since this support is already provided in an operating systems, hardware vendors have to write only a small amount of interface code in a minidriver to ensure that the specific features for their hardware are supported natively under Windows. Because of this, most existing DVD decoders should simply work with Windows without any user intervention.

d. DirectDraw HAL with VPE - Decoded video streams are huge -- possibly too big even for the PCI bus on a PC. Manufacturers have solved this problem by creating dedicated buses to transfer decoded video streams from an MPEG-2 decoder to the display card which Microsoft provides software support for these interfaces using the Microsoft DirectDraw hardware abstraction layer (HAL) with Video Port Extensions (VPE).

Note: IOW, what I've alluded to as far as supporting all the above in the Windows environment, is DirectX - a technologies designed to make Windows-based computers an ideal platform for running and displaying applications rich in multimedia elements, such as full-color graphics, video, 3-D animation, and surround sound.

7. There is a common interface needed to drive both sides of the hardware interconnect and also from the interaction side, the device software used. There are many different varieties of CD/DVD and optical storage that can be added into or purchased with PCs that include, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, CD-R, DVD-RAM, CD-RW, MO (Magneto Optical), and PD (Phase Change Drives). One of the major caveats is some of these devices share a common interface and command structures (such as the Mt. Fuji specification for DVD and CD devices and others) that is implemented on a unique command sets and when attempting to use multiple devices together in the same system, it is pretty much left up to the user to sort out and ensure each are set us properly without conflict. For instance:

a. The implementation of multiple logical units (LUNs) of distinctly different features into one drive forces the Windows operating system to present confusing information to the end user. For example, a drive with PD/MO and DVD/CD functioning on separate LUNs may appear as two separate drive selections and units with this style of LUN support and is not attractive to the end user or to support organizations.

b. There is no single LUN support implementing common command sets which support all features of these device as one Logical Unit. Microsoft fully supports current technology and the support is integrated by default into the Windows operating systems. Even though LUN support for DVD-ROM and CD devices is currently there and supported, future expansion of this type support is not expected. Therefore, new devices such as DVD-RAM, DVD+RW, or others, would be expected to use only a single LUN approach in the future (agreed-upon technology between Microsoft and the manufacturers of these devices. Upgrades will be furnished by Microsoft as change is implemented, approved, and tested).

Note: At the present time none of Windows operating systems support writable DVD discs by default.

8. DVD Discs - most DVD-Video titles are marked for a specific region. Some titles can be played in multiple regions while others can be played in all regions. A byte on the disc is reserved for region codes, with each bit representing a region. If a bit is set to 1, the disc is not allowed to be played in the corresponding region. A disc with all bits cleared to 0 will play in all regions. Note that drive, decoder, and system region settings use an integer value, not a flag bit. Regions 1 through 6 were defined in the original DVD-Video specification. Region 7 is currently undefined. Region 8 was added in 1999 for special venues, such as airplanes. DVD-ROM discs (those with no video zone) should not contain any region coding.

9. DVD-ROM Drive - every CSS-licensed DVD-Video playback device must be set to a single region. There are two types of DVD-ROM drives:

a. RPC Phase 1 (hereafter referred to as RPC1) drives do not have built-in hardware support for region management. For these drives, Windows maintains the region change count information, and the region can be set only once.

b. RPC Phase 2 (RPC2) drives maintain the region change count information in hardware, and in general the region of such drives can be changed up to five times.

10. DVD Decoders (some hardware or software) are preset for a specific region. Generally speaking, a user cannot change the decoder's region. The decoder is not involved in the initial region selection or in subsequent changes, but the decoder region is checked during playback and must match the disc and the drive "DVD Region Selection in Windows".

a. DVD movie titles and DVD-ROM drives both have a region code. Region codes can prevent playback of certain DVDs in certain geographical regions since they are part of the DVD specification. The following is a list of regional codes:

1 - U.S. and Canada
2 - Europe and Japan
3 - South East Asia
4 - Latin America and Australia
5 - Russia, rest of Asia and Africa
6 - China
7 - Undefined
8 - Special venues such as airplanes

Note: You can only play a region 1 DVD movie title on a DVD-ROM drive that is set for region 1. If you set a DVD movie title to region 0, you may be able to play the DVD movie on any DVD-ROM drive. Some DVD decoders (hardware or software) are preset for specific regions and cannot be changed by the user in certain instances.

b. Initial DVD Region Selection - The OEM can set a registry key containing the default DVD region for a system and is provided by default in Windows and during the first boot, the drive region will be set to:

(1) For RPC1 drives, the region is managed by the operating system.

(2) For RPC2 drives, the region is set in the firmware of the device.

c. The responsibility rest with the manufacturer to select a default DVD region on PCs shipped supporting installed devices. Windows however will picks a region during first boot or first disc playback based on settings such as locale, language, and time zone. If there is no disc in the drive, or if the disc has multiple regions (including an all-region disc), a user may find the resulting region setting inappropriate.

(1) The following registry key should be created and set to the desired default DVD region for the system in Win98:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DefaultDVDRegion (binary)

(a) For an RPC1 drive, when the first disc is played back, Windows sets the region for the drive. If there is no default region, Windows selects a region. If the disc allows the initial region, then the drive region is set. If the disc does not allow the initial region, the lowest numbered region on the disc is used to set the drive.

(b) For an RPC2 drive, when the first disc is played back, Windows sets the region for the drive if it is not already set. If there is no default region, Windows selects a region. If the disc allows the initial region, then the drive region is set. Otherwise, the lowest numbered region on the disc is used to set the drive. This will use one of the allowed region changes in firmware. Once the initial region is set for an RPC2 drive, it is not changed by a reinstallation or clean installation of the operating system.

Note: If the user installs a new drive later, the same procedure will take effect.

(2) In Win2000/XP, the following registry key should be created and set to the desired default DVD region for each DVD-ROM drive:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ Class\ <CDROM GUID> \ <instance number> \DefaultDVDRegion (binary)

(a) For RPC1 drives, the first time a DVD title is played or the DVD-ROM drive is accessed in any manner, Windows selects a region for the drive. The default region key is used if it matches one of the regions of the disc or if there is no disc in the drive. Otherwise, the lowest numbered region on the disc is used.

(b) For RPC2 drives, the first time a DVD title is played or the DVD-ROM drive is accessed and it contains a disc, Windows sets a region if none is set. That is, region setting only occurs if a disc is in the drive. The default region key is used if it matches one of the regions of the disc. Otherwise, the lowest numbered region on the disc is used. This will use one of the allowed region changes in firmware. Once a region is set for an RPC2 drive, it is not changed by a reinstallation or clean installation of the operating system.

Note: If the user installs a new drive later, the same procedure will take effect.

11. The Microsoft DirectShow DVD Navigator may detect a region change requirement when a disc is inserted that forbids playback in the current DVD region. The appropriate application (Win98) or property page is used to ask the user to change the region on the drive which they can select only the region that matches the disc.

a. For RPC1 drives, Windows components manage the region change. This happens only once. If the user attempts to play a disc that does not match the initial region, the user is allowed to select the permanent region for the drive.

b. RPC2 drives maintain region changes in hardware. If the number of allowed changes are exhausted on a RPC2 drive, the drive will fail the call to change the region and the region change component will notify the user of the error.

c. Region change under Win98 is provided by DVDrgn.exe, which is regionalized along with other components of the operating system. This application is installed only when a hardware decoder with a WDM Stream Class minidriver is installed using the standard INF file provided.

d. Otherwise, region change is provided by Storprop.dll (%windir%\system32 folder). This component installed by default and requires no additional steps to be made available. The user interface of this property page is very similar to that of DVDrgn.exe application, and it is regionalized in the operating system.

12. Supplemental reading:

a. "Resources for Troubleshooting DVD Problems in Windows XP (Q308012)," and ALL it's related articles.

b. "DVD Support in Windows 98 (Q188513)."

c. "How to Troubleshoot CD-ROM or DVD-ROM Read Issues (Q218617)."

d. "Troubleshooting DVD Problems in Windows 2000 (Q249334)."

e. "How to Enable Direct Memory Access (DMA) (Q258757)."

f. "DMA Is Not Automatically Enabled in Windows Millennium Edition (Q266908)."

g. "Available Troubleshooters in Windows Millennium Edition (Q288838)."

h. "Stop 0x00000050" Error Message When You View Files on a DVD (Q290321)."

i. "Some Controls May Not Function During DVD Playback, Windows XP (Q306698)."
Collapse -
by Donita / December 2, 2004 8:57 AM PST

Much of what you said went over my head but I did try following the suggestions for fixing the shutdown problem. They had no effect. I also booted with a startup disk, and accessed the CD using the "dir" command. I may have neglected to mention that this problem began with the IDE/missing rom's problems. After trying to update the drivers for the IDE controllers, I've noticed the no matter what driver I choose or where I browse to, windows continues to choose the same driver over and over. Can that be right? I'm pretty sure it's the wrong driver. As a last resort, if I restore from a power quest image, do you think that would fix the IDE controller problem?

Collapse -
by Donita / December 2, 2004 1:59 PM PST

Don't know what the problem was, but restoring with an image file from powerquest fixed everything. The weird thing is when I look at the driver for the IDE controllers, it's the same driver that's was listed when I was having all the problems. Anyway, I'm good to go so thanks for your time.

Collapse -
by Doug / December 5, 2004 2:43 PM PST

Boy, do I wish you had found the problem. I am not sure I have an image backup I can try. I have been fighting this same problem for over 3 months now. Exact same error messages, same problem when I try to update the drivers, same OS and same motherboard. I have gone thru ASUS tech support and first they told me it was a bad DVD unit. I tried replacing it with a working unit and that made no difference. Then they told me it was Windows. They said Windows was a very unstable system and I needed to do a clean install. Everything that you said happened to you has happened to me exactly - one day I had a DVD/CD and the next day it was gone and I had made no changes or additions. And all of the same experiences under the Primary and Secondary IDE controllers. It felt so good to see I wasn't alone. Sure wish someone had discovered what caused it and the cure. What I wondered was - and since you fixed your problem you may not look back at this or ever see my question, but I hope you do - did the image also fix the shutdown problem too, as that same thing also happend to me?

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / December 5, 2004 10:26 PM PST

Start with the items in my post above, and step through everything 100%. Find something odd you're not sure of, post a thread and ask for further guidance.

P.S. You didn't say if the version you use is First or Second Edition. In fact, I don't remember if Donita did either -- you'll find this important when stepping through the references.

Collapse -
Good to hear that it at least works now.
by Cursorcowboy / December 5, 2004 10:22 PM PST

Could have been anything, even something simple such as "This problem can occur if your computer uses Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) and the Fast Shutdown feature is disabled", which was referenced in "Q196008", my former post.

When everything discussed isn't followed to the "T" and tested based on changes made, there is no way we would know whether a user has followed along with thing we felt were important. I know it's time consuming and frustrating, but simply stating "I did all of that" or "it didn't help" doesn't give us much to go on -- perhaps a user did troubleshoot 100% but we wouldn't know for sure. Human nature perhaps to take the easier and shorter route but a lot of times something doesn't get done.

Collapse -
Good to hear that it at least works now.
by Doug / December 14, 2004 2:29 PM PST

I followed everything in your post as best I could. But in the end, I was able to do as she did. I found an image that went back to January of 2003 and now it shuts down OK and the yellow exclimation points are gone in System/Devise Manager. Still, I wish I knew what caused the problem. If I did it once, I may do it again.

Thanks,

Collapse -
Working the same problem
by jmfedel / January 11, 2005 11:43 AM PST

I'm glad I found this forum, I just experienced the same problem. I don't have a system backup to go back to - data backup yes, but not system.
I'm going to read the LONG page and see if there are any ideas I can try. I'll report back since some folks expressed interest in knowing the solution.

Collapse -
MIssing CD Roms
by poppy / January 12, 2005 8:03 AM PST

On my backup old 98SE system I have also "lost" 2 CD Roms. One was CDRW, the one plain CD. (Run Spybot, AVG, Zone Alarm, behind a hdwe firewall, daily updates on definitions, etc>) This is on a system that has seen numerous changes, including SCSI drives, etc. It also had shut down problems. It would properly shut down when told to reboot but hang up when told to shut down. Following this thread to windows98 SE shutdown supplement "Computer Stops Responding When You Try to Shut It Down (Q196008)installed same and it fixed shutdown problem. (program manager showed both drives, 98 boot disk accessed them on restart, still they were not showing in windows manager) Noticed that TWEAK UI was no longer accessing my network with password. It became corrupted. On checking TweakUI Computer folder, found both CD drives were unchecked, making them invisible. Hope this might help someone else. I have uninstalled and reinstalled TweakUI. Happy
Thanks to Bob and all others that posted.

Collapse -
In a way, "you do".
by Cursorcowboy / January 12, 2005 9:55 PM PST
I don't have a system backup to go back to - data backup yes, but not system.

1. The article [Q183887] explains that when a computer is started successfully, the Windows Registry Checker tool (Scanreg.exe) creates a backup of system files and registry configuration information (including user account information, protocol bindings, software program settings, and user preferences) once daily. Files backed up include, System.dat, User.dat, System.ini, and Win.ini. To use the Windows Registry Checker tool with the /restore parameter, the tool must be run from a command prompt (booted to) outside of Windows, where one of up to five registry backup files may be chosen from the list to restore.

a. If invalid registry entries are detected, Windows automatically restores a previous day's backup, equivalent to running the scanreg /autorun command from a command prompt.

b. If no backups are available, Windows tries to make repairs to the registry, equivalent to running the scanreg /fix command from a command prompt.

2. System files for Win98 are backed up each new day for five consecutive days by default (set in the BackupDirectory key, SCANREG.INI file [Backup=1]), and stored in the \Sysbckup folder.

Note: The SCANREG.INI file may be editing in NotePad or WordPad to change the default number of cabinets saved to a smaller number, adding other files to be included, or changing the default save location to somewhere else when drive space is at a premium -- mine is located entirely on a separate drive. (Use Help Scanreg for further details). FWIW, I've added the following files:

Files=30,Autoexec.bat,Config.sys,Msdos.sys

Files=10,Scanreg.ini

a. Setting the Backup= line to 0 (zero) in the SCANREG.INI file will circumvent backups and is not recommended.

Caveat: "Registry Is Not Backed Up Automatically at Startup (Q198864)." Also, please read Q183603 listed in the supplemental references below.

b. The cabinets are named RB00x.CAB (where "x" is a number from 0 to 5). Next to each CAB file are the words Started or Not Started.

(1) Started means that the file has successfully started Windows, and is a known good file.

(2) Not Started means that the file has never been used to start Windows, so it is not a known good file.

c. Increasing the number of stored cabinets may be useful but be aware they require a lot of drive space. Even though stored in compressed form, each could still require between 700kb to a couple of megs or more.

Warning: When used, the Windows Registry Checker displays only the five oldest files regardless of the number set in the SCANREG.INI file and available in the backup folder. This does not mean to count the zero file and assume there are four others between it and five for a total of six, not true. You'll find only five files inside this folder. Look closely at the file dates and you'll find that perhaps #3 may be the older, or perhaps #1. The number in a cabinet file name does not denote which file is newest or oldest. Always look at the file dates when performing a restore.

Caveat: A user may find the presence of a Rbbad.cab file with a date stamp near the date Internet Explorer 5 or later was installed. The presence of this file simply means there was a setup problem with IE at the date of creation. IMHO, if everything is works properly now, delete this file. Otherwise, please read, "Blank Desktop or Illegal Operations Error Message After You Install Internet Explorer (Q249191)." Please note there may be other times when you will find the existence of an Rbbad.cab file.

3. To perform a PARTIAL restore of files contained in the compressed cabinets: (Windows must be running but if you're versed, it can be done at the MS-DOS prompt should Windows refuse to boot)

a. First, determine the appropriate cabinet to be used from the Sysbckup folder.

b. Second, right-click and select View from the context menu.

c. Right-click the file wanted and then select Extract from the resulting context menu, placing the file where it belongs. For instance. Located in the cabinets on my system, I have: Autoexec.bat, Config.sys, Msdos.sys, Scanreg.ini, System.dat, System.ini, User.dat, and Win.ini. Any of which I can simply extract and place at their default location.

d. Click the tiny x in the URHC of the current screen(s) to close - denoted in the color bar at the top.

4. The CabView file [for Windows 9x -- both for first and Second Edition (cabinet Win98_29.CAB)] allows users to view and extract files without having to use the Extract.exe program.

a. After installation CabView, contents can be viewed by double-clicking a cabinet file. A new window -- very similar to the Microsoft Windows Explorer window, appears listing the cabinet contents, and file(s) can be extracted as follows:

(1) Right-click the file wanted and click Extract in the dialog. In the Browse For Folder dialog box, click the folder where the files will go, and then click OK.

-or-

(2) Drag the file from the cabinet window to the desktop or to any specific folder.

b. To determine the CabView version installed:

(1) On the Start menu, point to Find, and then click Files Or Folders.

(2) In the Named box, type Cabview.dll. Then, click Find Now.

(3) Right-click the Cabview.dll, and on the shortcut menu, click Properties. Click the Version tab. The version and file size for the Cabview.dll file are listed in the "Microsoft DLL Help Database."

5. The article [Q184023] describes the command-line switches which can be used when either the MS-DOS version (Scanreg.exe) or the Windows version (Scanregw.exe) of the Registry Checker tool is run.

6. The article [Q186909] explains that when Windows starts, the Registry Checker tool may display the following message and can occur if there is defective memory that has damaged the registry in memory. If OK is clicked, the same message is received when Windows restarts:

Windows registry is damaged. Windows will restart and try to fix the problem.

Note: When this issue occurs, Scanregw.exe detects that the registry is damaged in memory and marks the registry as damaged so that the real-mode Scanreg.exe is run the next time the computer starts. This article describes two Methods to identify whether defective memory chips are possibly the cause and should be used to help troubleshoot the problem.

7. Supplemental reading:

a. "Registry Backup Not Listed in Registry Checker Tool (Q182841)."

b. "How to Customize Registry Checker Tool Settings (Q183603)."

c. "Description of the Windows Registry Checker Tool (Scanreg.exe) (Q183887)."

d. "Command-Line Switches for the Registry Checker Tool (Q184023)."

e. "Error Message: Restore Operation Failed (Q220878)."

f. "Scanreg.exe Does Not Back Up User.dat Files When Using User Profiles (Q245147)."

8. Please note, the following links are provided which pertain to the Windows Millennium Edition. Information contained in the above guidance may not otherwise match when troubleshooting:

a. "Error Message Occurs When Attempting to Use System Restore (Q261680)".

b. "System Restore Removes Files During a Restore Procedure (Q261716)".

c. "Antivirus Tools Cannot Clean Infected Files in the _Restore Folder (Q263455)".

d. "Description of the System Restore Utility in Windows Millennium Edition (Q267951)".

e. "Error Message: System Restore Cannot Run Until You Restart the Computer (Q274092)".

f. "Computer May Not Restart After Unsuccessful System Restore with Drive Overlay Software Installed (Q274460)".

g. "Checkpoints That You Create After September 8, 2001 Do Not Restore Your Computer (Q290700)".

h. Notes:

? In addition to creating restore points before certain events, System Restore in WinME provides users with the ability to restore to other specific days and times. Automatic System CheckPoints are created for every 10 hours of computer up time but only after the computer has been idle for 2 minutes. If this criterion is not met, then a System CheckPoint will be created once every 24 hours after the system has been idle for 2 minutes.

? The Restore Point and System CheckPoint files that are created under the above conditions are stored in compressed (.cab) format and are located in the _Restore folder (also known as the "Data Store") on the drive on which WinME is installed. The Data Store cannot be moved or modified. Each fixed disk on your computer will also contain a _Restore folder for indexing and monitoring purposes and each of these folders will contain a file called Srdiskid.dat.
Collapse -
In a way "I do"
by jmfedel / January 13, 2005 1:50 AM PST
In reply to: In a way, "you do".

Thanks - I knew about this in XP (The System Restore Points) but didn't know there was a similar mechanism in 98. I'll try this out.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.