PC Hardware forum

General discussion

CD Rom/DVD Controller error.

by Nightmares0nwax / June 4, 2008 1:05 AM PDT

i recently took apart my pc to clean the inside it was a bit of a mess. i put it all back together and changed the IDE Cables as they were causing some problems.

For a while i could not use any form of disc not even CD roms. since i changed the IDE cable CD roms will work but still not DVD discs. when i say DVD's i dont mean dvd format, just any dvd disc including ones that i have used to back up files.

i get the following message in event viewer. the driver has detected a controller error on device 0.

my hard drive and dvd drive are on separate IDE cables but both are using the master connection.

could someone explain where the controller is and what is its function? im assuming its on the mother board.

i built my machine about 2 years ago and not really had any problems. except from time to time i am unable to boot untill i switch my PSU on and off several times. this has been happening much more frequently recently. i did have to change my board before when it failed to work for that reason.

asus A8R MVP 32 Delux
amd 4000+

cannot remeber my dvd drive or my hard disc models.

i will post more info soon if necessary

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CD Rom/DVD Controller error.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CD Rom/DVD Controller error.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
the $30 fix
by ramarc / June 4, 2008 1:29 AM PDT

is to replace the dvd drive. they're so cheap that it's not really worth troubleshooting.

Collapse -
i am unable to boot untill i switch my PSU on and off
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 4, 2008 2:29 AM PDT

"i am unable to boot untill i switch my PSU on and off several times. this has been happening much more frequently recently. i did have to change my board before when it failed to work for that reason."

This issue is usually traced to a few items. Try CMOS BATTERY, power supply and motherboard.
Bob

Collapse -
possibly my board.
by Nightmares0nwax / June 4, 2008 2:58 AM PDT

ok thanks, ill try a new cmos battery but i doubt its that as this problem has been persistant with 2 boards and when i try boot it dosnt even get as far as the POST screen, which totally cuts out the CMOS, i could possibly try flashing the BIOS when i get my net up and running again. unfortunately i dont have a case speaker which makes matters worse.

im tempted to say that the booting problem lies with my PSU.

as for my dvd drive, buying a new one would be the easier alternative but id rather find out what is causing this problem.

could someone explain where the controller is located. is it on the board or the dvd drive itself? and what is its specific funtion?

cheers

spoon

Collapse -
Try unplugging that IDE DVD PLAYER.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 4, 2008 3:02 AM PDT
In reply to: possibly my board.

A failing IDE device will stop systems from booting.

-> Let me ask this. If unplugging or replacing said drive fixes this, are you asking to dive deeper into the failure beyond a bad drive?

Bob

Collapse -
cheers for the quick responses
by Nightmares0nwax / June 4, 2008 3:22 AM PDT

good point,

my sister has a spare dvd drive which i will try tommorow, ill try unplugging it tonight to see if it resolves these issues and ill get back to you tommorow.

and yes i would like to know everything possible as i am still learning. to get to the root of the problem rather than just replacing and forgetting. thanks mate.

spoon

Collapse -
Good luck.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 4, 2008 3:31 AM PDT

The root of the problem today stops at the DVD drive due to the costs involved of troubleshooting it deeper than that. If you wish to go beyond that and look at this deeper you would be researching how the IDE bus works, the BIOS source code on initializing said BUS, the use of oscilloscopes and more diagnostic equipment. Most of us will just replace the unit since the time spent on troubleshooting a dead drive is not worth it.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.