Computer Help forum

General discussion

CD/ROM & DVD/CD ROMS NOT DETECTED..HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by helene_okc / April 20, 2007 3:01 AM PDT

Installed NEW DVD/CD Rom 20x Lite-on Jan 27,07. BOTH working great, UNTIL I deleted ALL NERO 6,7 software. After rebooting, these two Roms, were missing on MY COMPUTER. Gone into (they are still on the device manager, yes, the drive doors still open and close, yes the lights gon "on" if I install a CD"-but nothing happens, says "No CD rom is detected".Peeking through see through casing, the IDE cables are in the drives.

Even contacted LITE-ON for help, drivers, etc, NO answer. Told to go into REGEDIT, but leary, as I am a mid-computer (read, and try things, Nanny :)) Cannot load the UTILITIES XP driver to correct this, need as I am a ERO with IRS, and need to update program still doing taxes. can you help? Keep it simple please, a walk through. Read what you write in here all the time, and these have helped me in the past. God Bless

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CD/ROM & DVD/CD ROMS NOT DETECTED..HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CD/ROM & DVD/CD ROMS NOT DETECTED..HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The first thing I always try
by retired / April 20, 2007 3:19 AM PDT

Is to remove all the optical drives from the device manager while in safe mode.
1-Restart the computer, tap the F8 key as soon as the computer starts to reboot.

2-Choose safe mode, Press Enter

3-Select operating system, Press Enter

4-Click Administrator Account

5-Windows is running in Safe Mode, Click YES

6-At the Safe Mode Desktop Right click the "My Computer" Icon and choose Properties, click the hardware tab and device manager tab.

7-Click the Plus sign for DVD/CD-ROM.

8-Right click each entry and choose Uninstall, When done close out all windows and reboot the computer letting it go to normal mode. The OS will now install the drives and give you a notice that they are ready to use. Try them.

Collapse -
it still doesnt detect !!
by Subzero0687 / April 23, 2007 1:19 AM PDT

hey...
this problem still continues... i followed the steps as shown above.. it worked the first time I ran a disk on it it worked perfectly fine.. then after i removed the disk.. the icon disappered again !! as in the device was not detected again..

PLEASE hELP ASAP !!!

Collapse -
Please Explain...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 23, 2007 2:00 AM PDT

With a different member name than the first poster, I'm guessing you have a different computer, different brand of DVD burner, different operating system, and maybe different circumstances.. Please fill us in..

And if you haven't tried cleaning the registry of the Upper and lower filters as described in "Linkit's" post, please do so.. It's one of the most common fixes.

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Collapse -
help..
by Subzero0687 / April 23, 2007 11:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Please Explain...

comp spec's : 512 mb ram
VRAM : 64 MB
HDD: 80 GB
2.3 ghz
Compaq Per 2500 A (Laptop)
HP DVD drive.

before i do nethin with the regedit.. just wanted to kwn.. will it effect the computer in the later stages ??

and can u explain me wat excatly the problem is n y it happenedz.. thanks a lot..

cheers

SUBZERO

Collapse -
contd...
by Subzero0687 / April 23, 2007 11:10 AM PDT
In reply to: help..

damn I forgot to fill u in on the main part.. the actaully problem is htat.. the ICONS of the CD drivers are not been shown in the MY COMPUTER folder.. wenever I try to run a disk.. it just keeps reading... but nuthin playz.. that the exact prob... last s/w installed pertainin to the DISK DRIVE is NERO version 7.00..

cheers...

Collapse -
The Effect To The Computer...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 23, 2007 2:20 PM PDT
In reply to: help..

...will only be that the drives should now be correctly recognized.. Occasionally, you will need to reinstall your Nero program but generally, that's not an issue either.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Delete UPPERFILTERS and LOWERFILTERS
by linkit / April 20, 2007 3:38 AM PDT
Collapse -
THANK YOU, both for responding
by helene_okc / April 21, 2007 1:39 PM PDT

Someone else told me about getting into REGIDIT ? and to change the uppers and lowers thingy. I always have been told to "stay out of the registry", lol, but now I will step out on that ledge and try it tomorrow night (sun), so IF something goes astray, I can bite the bullet and get a computer man over here. Things are tight, and would be so blessef to be able to repair this CD/Rom thing myself.

Again, I am sending you a hearty thank you, please keep up the good work that you do in helping others with computer problems, you are so much needed in this world of technology. God bless, Hugs Helene

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?