PC Hardware forum

General discussion

cd rom drive wont open

by kellyoldfield / November 26, 2004 7:41 AM PST

I have a compaq presario, mv540, operating system is Window Mil

One day when I was playing a game, Reading Blaster, with my 4 yr old son I heard a shattering sound and the computer froze, I opened the cd drive and the cd literally shattered into hundreds of pieces and the cd rom has not worked ever since.

So I use the CD burner to run cd's. Now the cd drive will not even open. There is nothing in the drive but I push the button and nothing happens.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: cd rom drive wont open
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: cd rom drive wont open
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: cd rom drive wont open
by Coryphaeus / November 26, 2004 8:13 AM PST
In reply to: cd rom drive wont open

Small pieces of plastic can lodge in the gears. Either take apart yourself and clean it out or get a new one (recommended). Since the speed of a drive is quite fast, an electronic component could also have been damaged. Replace it. CD drives are 20 bucks or less.

Good luck,

Telephony facts, analog/digital explained.
See the CNet faces behind the posts.

If you're reading this, thank a teacher. If you're reading this in English, thank a U.S. soldier.

Collapse -
by Steven Haninger / November 26, 2004 10:34 AM PST

A lot of drives have a small hole in the front just big enough for a paper clip wire. That's exactly what the hole if for...to manually open the drive. You do so by pushing straight in the hole with enough force to lift the heads up and start the door to open. I might guess the drive belt that operates the door is damaged or off the pulley. When this happens you hear the drive try but it just cannot open.

Collapse -
by Moochie / December 13, 2004 9:33 AM PST

Thank you so much for this advice! Our E drive was stuck shut and after reading this thread, I used a CAKE TESTER to open it. I could see that the belt was broken. I just cant wait to show my hubby who sat here for an hour trying to fix it! LOL

Collapse -
by pixiedust / November 27, 2004 2:42 AM PST

To manually pop open a cd drive, take a small pin or a small safety pin (open), or a very thin paper clip, unfolded, and insert it into the tiny little hole located somewhere on the cd drive's face. Look carefully, almost every cd-rom/writer drive has one for opening the drive manually. When you locate the hole, press the pointed object into the hole carefully, while at the same time, pressing the button you press to pop open the cd drive normally. It should pop open, no problem. I hope this helps. (the exploding cd in drive has happened to me too, I feel your pain...)

Collapse -
Power supply problem
by dr_genius / December 14, 2004 12:54 AM PST

Dear friends, the main question was the drive did not respond and there was no CD in the drive.

It could be the mechanical problem but in this case I feel its the power supply problem or a dead drive.

If you could see a light on the drive when u press a button or when you start the system, then it could be a mechanism problem or a faulty drive.

if you dont see any light at any time then the problem is with the power supply to the drive or a dead drive. Just open the chasis and check for the connections or try with a free power cord.

Hope this is useful.
reply if it works..

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!