Storage forum

General discussion

cd/r drive problem

by Kodos / February 23, 2004 3:19 AM PST

Hey everyone, newbie here.
It all started when i tried installing visual studio .net for a programming class i'm taking. At first the installation was going smoothly but then it slowed way down. It took 10 just to copy small files and the cd drive sounded like it was struggling. After 3 hours it was only 25% done and still copying files. So i stopped it and tried to just copy the cd image onto my computer. The same thing happened. It copied fast at first but then slowed down and then all of a sudden it just stopped copying and it looked like explorer quit. I tried using a different ide cable then a different cd drive but the same thing happened so it might be the computer. I wasn't sure where to post this but i hope someone can help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: cd/r drive problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: cd/r drive problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:cd/r drive problem
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2004 3:35 AM PST
In reply to: cd/r drive problem

Tip: If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution.

With just what you wrote, it appears the machine needs repair. Was there anything else you can share about the machine, the OS, if the case cover off helps?

Collapse -
Re:Re:cd/r drive problem
by Kodos / February 23, 2004 4:03 AM PST
In reply to: Re:cd/r drive problem

Oh yea. Well i'm using windows xp pro(2.2ghz pentium) with an asus p4s8x motherboard. The drive is a 'visiontek' extasy 48x12x48x . I took the case off and still doesn't work. and a 300 watt power supply, i'm not sure if that helps.

Collapse -
Sounds like a problem PC.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2004 4:50 AM PST

Read and see if you have enough POWER to drive what's in the box. Remember that 300 Watt PSU is not really 300. Tom did a nice writeup about this at in which out of 21 units, 9 didn't meet their own specification or just blew up.

By stressing the PSU, it degrades quickly and your issue is very common. BUT the nutty part here is that unless you replace the PSU with a 450 or so Watt unit and re-test, you can't tell if that's it.

I also asked you to share what you could about the machine, which is rather slim, but did reveal the PSU issue. Other items would have been nice, but I know people don't always want to reveal all.

Best of luck finding the bad hardware.

Collapse -
Re:Sounds like a problem PC.
by Kodos / February 23, 2004 8:27 AM PST

Thank you for the link. I'm not sure if i should shell out the cash for a new psu and find it still not working. And as for anything else about the machine, i didn't think anything else i could say would make a difference. But now that i think that power might be an issue - I have 512mb ddr ram, a radeon 9000 video card, an 80 gig hard drive plus a 10gb additional hard drive, 3 case fans and that cd-r drive. Could not enough power be the issue? and is there more info my system that could help?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2004 11:09 AM PST

If you read the last supplied articles, you would not be asking if there is enough power. I can state there isn't enough.

I can make a fairly safe bet the base machine didn't come with 512M RAM (it does take Watts!), the second hard disk and such. What can you eject? That 10GB drive is 20 Watts or so and 256 M RAM isn't too bad compared to it not working.

Did you try that plus set the AGP RATE TO 1X?

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?