Computer Help forum

General discussion

CD-R - CD-RW - What's the Difference ?? ...

by pepperkay / November 29, 2004 9:23 PM PST

When I go to copy a CD (music), if I put a CD-R disk in, the program tells me that because it is not a CD-RW disk, it will not play in my computer, car, home player, etc. ...

If I put a CD-RW disk in, the program tells me that because it is not a CD-R disk, blah, blah, blah ...

Yet, the CD Creator will make the disk but all the song tracks have a .CDA extension ...

I then have to fiddle with all the CD players on my computer to get it to play which it finally does ... have not tried it in the car and so on ...

What's the difference ?? ...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CD-R - CD-RW - What's the Difference ?? ...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CD-R - CD-RW - What's the Difference ?? ...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: CD-R - CD-RW - What's the Difference ?? ...
by TONI H / November 29, 2004 10:24 PM PST

CDR you can only write once to it.....CDRW disks you can erase and reuse.

The .cda format is the standard for playing the cd's in most audio cd players, including one on your computer.......however, since you mention you have to 'fiddle' with various cdplayers you have installed on your computer, none appear to be the default player or the music would open that particular program and start playing the music as soon as you have inserted the cd into the drive.

What you can do is pick which player you want to use, then go to Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer), click Tools/Folder Options/File Types and look for CDA, then click Edit, and mark one of the players listed as the default for PLAY. If none are listed, then use the PLAY/EDIT button to then browse on your computer to the folder that has the cdplayer you like best and locate the .exe file inside that folder and select it. Now back in the EDIT window, click Set as Default, click Apply, and exit your way out.

Your music cd's should now default to using only that player as soon as you insert a music cd so you don't have to 'fiddle' with the players anymore.

TONI

Collapse -
One last comment
by TONI H / November 29, 2004 10:26 PM PST

You have to make sure as you burn a music cd that you have the cd 'closed'......so look in your Advanced/Options/Details to make sure that the box to close the cd is checked off or your car cdplayer or house cdplayer won't be able to play them.

TONI

Collapse -
Re: CD-R - CD-RW - What's the Difference ?? ...
by Yew / November 29, 2004 10:30 PM PST

One minor thing. There is no .cda format. It's just an extension Windows appends to the music tracks on the disc. Music CDs don't really have a filesystem per se, and what you see in Windows is just a graphical representation made to look like any other file folder.

Collapse -
If you use a ripper program
by TONI H / November 29, 2004 10:49 PM PST

to rip tracks from a music cd to your harddrive, they come out as a .cda file type......this is the file type that when you burn an .mp3 to a cd, it is converted by your burner program as .cda on that newly burned cd, and what most cdplayers recognize in order to play it back.

TONI

Collapse -
Re: If you use a ripper program
by Yew / November 30, 2004 12:18 AM PST

No, that's just the raw data from the CD. Windows still has a lot of holdovers from its DOS origins, and so it had to be given SOME sort of extension. But it's not a file type in the same sense that a Word document is.

Still, this is minor semantics, and not really worth quibbling over. There's three basic levels of knowledge... Knowing what, knowing how, and knowing why. Most people don't need to go past knowing how. I'm just tossing in a small taste of the why level.

Collapse -
Agreed, but
by TONI H / November 30, 2004 12:30 AM PST

in order to associate the cd with a player on the computer that will play it, users have to make sure that in the 'file types' the cda type is associated correctly. Holdover or no, it has to be listed as a file type in order for users to understand how to fix the problem they've got when multiple players are installed then removed/uninstalled and an association gets broken. It may not be a legitimate or true file type, but that's the only place you're gonna find a way to fix it. heheheheh

TONI

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?