Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

CD quality sound through car radio with iPOD

by Surfinjoka / December 31, 2004 7:15 AM PST

what would be the best way to get the best possible quality sound for an IPOD?
I've looked and it seems for me the easiest way would be to buy an FM transmitter seeing as I do not have a cassette deck in my truck.
I've seen that there are also ways to connect the IPOD directly to your car, but I'm not sure how difficult this is to do and would rather not bother with something that requires car tools and lots of time to achieve.
Basically my question is, what FM transmitter is best to use? I've seen the Monster one with the car charger and have heard that's the best, but is there a way any of them can actually achieve CD quality sound?
I know the radio station sounds a lot different than the quality of a CD and don't really seem too convinced an FM transmitter can give me the quality.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CD quality sound through car radio with iPOD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CD quality sound through car radio with iPOD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
CD Quality?
by rcgcfn / January 1, 2005 2:03 AM PST

Is your music CD quality anyway? I wouldn't think so.
But you will loose quality, but, so what?
If you can find a good station to transmit to, you will be fine. I don't know how many channels you can broadcast to with the Monster one, but you will want a transmitter with lots of channels to choose. You'll probably want something that doesn't use external batteries, one that uses the power the player provides. I'm not sure what ones are out there to buy, my player already has one built in. Good Luck Grin

Collapse -
FM Transmitter Suggestion
by lawrenh / January 2, 2005 2:00 AM PST

IRiver makes a FM Transmitter that is great...at least for me. No Problem with the Frequency, the Iriver gives you access to ALL FM Frequencies. The unit plugs into your lighter/DC port...so no batteries and only one line - the one to the MP3 player. The unit allows you to search up and down the whole FM freq. range, and gives you 3 programable presets. The display is blue backlit. The sound is fantastic...

Collapse -
CD quality sound through car radio with iPOD
by johngoodman / January 3, 2005 12:46 AM PST

If you are fortunate enough to have An Alpine car radio/CD player then this is by far the best interface

http://www.alpine-europe.com/alpine/english/c13.alpine-ipod-interface-kca-420i.htm

The really cool thing about this is that the head unit remote controls the ipod and track/artist info is displayed on the radio display. Also it charges the ipod, so it can be stuffed in the glovebox out of the way. My early 2003 model Alpine CDA96812 has the Ai-net connector so you do not need a 2004 model as the website suggests.

I just wish I could connect my Iriver H320 this way

John

Collapse -
Alpine IDA-X100
by bdhunziker / January 25, 2008 3:14 AM PST

The Alpine IDA-X100 is the way to go. It's the 2nd gen of the IDA-X001 and it just came out this week. Maybe I'm the best guy to judge this deck, because I don't have one yet, but I will be purchasing one in a week or so and I have read a lot about this deck and the one that preceded it. The Alpine IDA-X100 lets you link your iPod directly to it for FULL CD quality sound. The deck also displays cover art and the artist and track name. The first gen did receive some complaints about the jog wheel not turning all the way around and the enter button not being in the center like the iPod. I believe it also had some cover art problems when connecting the 80-160GB iPod Classic. From what I have heard these problems have all been fixed, and none of the problems had to do with the essential function of the deck which is play music from the iPod. The first gen (IDA-X001) was iLounge Best of Show 2007 at CES and was the only car deck of its kind until now. When I get my mine up and running I'll let you know how it is, but I'm sure it will be awesome.

Collapse -
I meant maybe I'm not the best guyto judge it (above)
by bdhunziker / January 25, 2008 3:18 AM PST
In reply to: Alpine IDA-X100

correction

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?