Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

CD Problems

by witchdocter_90 / November 27, 2004 4:18 AM PST

Whenever I instert my cd and open up explore to view it's files theres one folder on the cd called "docs 2/2". whe i try to open it i get an error. All my documents are withen sub folders of this so that makes this a problem, heres a picture of the error i get "http://www.geocities.com/witchdocter_90/error.bmp"
I made this CD about two days ago before reformating my computer and its been in a safe area since. It has no scratches and when I look at the bottom of the cd i can see an ring around so I know it's not blank. When i go to the CD properties it says 286MB used 0KB left, but when I explore the CD the one folder "docs 2/2" in it's properties it says the folders empty. When it says theres 286MB on the CD total. How can I get this to work?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CD Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CD Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: CD Problems
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 27, 2004 4:52 AM PST
In reply to: CD Problems

I'm not an expert with CD's, but I wonder if yoy recorded the data onto it properly.

What program did you use to record the data onto the CD?

I ask because if you used a standard program like Easy CD Creator, you have to "Close" the session.

CD recordings can be closed or left open. If left open, then they can be used again to record further data onto it. But the problem with open session cd's is that they may not be able to be read by other computers.

As you did a reformat of your computer, the CD may not be being recognised as one done on that computer. It shouldn't happen on newer PC's, but I just wonder if that is the problem.

Can your PC read and open the contents of other cd's?

If so, then open up the program you used to record to that cd, (assuming you have re-installed it), and see if you can close the session. You may not be able to now.

If not, try and record another small file onto it, (say a notepad filesaved to your hard disk with one word on it), then Import the session from the list displayed under Import. Whether there will be a list now after you reformated i don't know. Hopefully the list is taken from the CD itself.

Then make sure to close the new session

Mark

Collapse -
by witchdocter_90 / November 27, 2004 5:51 AM PST
In reply to: Re: CD Problems

The program I used to burn the cd was "Nero Burning Room 5.5 (express mode)". When I was making it I chose the "make data disk" option then added my files and let it burn to a cd and when it said the cd ws succesfully burned i put it in my roll of cds. Also the same night i burned three other data disks and they worked fine (same program).

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 27, 2004 8:09 AM PST

Can you try this problem CD in another machine?

If 3 out of 4 are ok, and one isn't, chances are the cd is faulty, or there was a problem with the recording.

Mark

Collapse -
by ronrumpf / November 27, 2004 10:15 AM PST

I wish that I had better news but, I have found that periodically you may run into a bad disk or incomplete burn. The best CDs I have found were Sony & Memorex. That's why you must always recheck the CD after it's done. It's been a while since I used Nero but it must have some kind of utility like Roxio for checking/fixing CDs but, I doubt that you will be able to recover your data.. Good luck, Ron

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / November 27, 2004 9:48 PM PST
theres one folder on the cd called "docs 2/2".

You have an invalid character "/" for a folder's name. That is why you get that error.

The solution: See if you can copy the folder to the HD, then rename it properly. Or else:

Use that CD as a source and create a new data disk of the files inside that folder---use youe Nero's Burning ROM file browser to browse the CD and drag and drop the files to a new compliation.
Collapse -
by witchdocter_90 / November 28, 2004 12:37 AM PST

Actually that's what i thought the problem was, but when i go to copy it I get the same error so i'll try the other option instead. Thanks for the help.

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / December 1, 2004 4:08 PM PST

Please provide some feedback. How did it go ? Can forum members assume that it worked ?

Collapse -
by witchdocter_90 / December 4, 2004 12:21 PM PST

Sadly it didn't. When I click on the file period or do anything with it it gives me an error or just pretends it's not there. Thanks for the help anyways.

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / December 4, 2004 1:32 PM PST

The long shot: try using the command prompt to copy files and change names ?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?