Computer Help forum

General discussion

CD formatting

by whiterabbit9 / March 21, 2009 6:25 AM PDT

I am recently having a problem formatting CDs for data storage. I put a blank CD in the drive, Vista asks me what I am going to format it for (Music, Files, etc), and Vista begins the formatting. This inevitably ends up going through the whole process with "0 seconds remaining" and it gets stuck there. In order to stop the process I have to start up task manager and the cd/dvd drive will not respond unless I reboot.

I am running Vista Home premium on an AMD athlon 64x2 4600+
with 4 gb of ram and tons of empty hard drive space.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CD formatting
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CD formatting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
CD format
by Phil Crase / March 21, 2009 11:13 PM PDT
In reply to: CD formatting

Don't format CDR'S, you can format a CDRW but not a CDR, if you do, you have just toasted it.

Collapse -
(NT) Why are you formatting it?
by Coryphaeus / March 21, 2009 11:28 PM PDT
Collapse -
Personally, A Format Is Not Necessary To Rewrite
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 22, 2009 4:00 AM PDT

First, data stored on formatted CD-RW's or DVD-RW's is not as reliable as that which is stored on discs which are not formatted..The packet writing software has an uncanny way of failing when you need it the most and unless the identical packet writing program is on the computer used for reading the disc, it won't work correctly..

Second, I use CD-RW's and DVD-RW's as backup disc frequently.. BUT I perform standard burns which are finalized when I copy the data to the disc.. Many folks are not aware that you can burn a RW disc in exactly the same method as a standard CD or DVD and finalize/close the disc so it can be read by all normal disc readers.. Then the next time you're ready to save your data, simply erase the RW disc and burn the information to the disc again and finalize/close the disc.. Such data is much more reliable for backups and can be read by all computers.

Your choice.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
CD formatting
by whiterabbit9 / March 22, 2009 11:08 AM PDT

Thanks for your feed back. I have resolved the problem. In Vista, when you insert a blank disc, the OS asks you what you want to use it for (file types) and then it brings you to a window labeled "burn a disc", at this point if you don't click on "show formatting options" it assumes you are trying to create a "LIve File System" which treats the disc as a USB. This is where I got hung up. You have to change the settings to Mastered so that you can just start loading files onto the disk. Just another Vista speed bumb it seems Wink

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?