PC Hardware forum

General discussion

CD (E Drive) problems

by Steven8557 / October 9, 2005 1:04 AM PDT

Hi Everyone,

I've developed a problem with my cd drive. The drive recognizes every disk I put in it as an audio disk. I've tried to use program installation disks and they show up as audio disks. Extremely frustrating, as my printer decided to stop working and I put in the original program disk for repairs, only to be told that my system could not read the disk. Checked system info, said "device is working properly". Checked driver update, said "using best driver available". Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help, links, etc.

HP Brio w/Celeron processor, 4gb primary drive, 40 gb backup running Win98SE,IE6,WMP9,HP psc 2110 all-in-one printer & DSL connection

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CD (E Drive) problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CD (E Drive) problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
From the FAQ.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 9, 2005 1:42 AM PDT
In reply to: CD (E Drive) problems
Collapse -
re: CD drive
by Steven8557 / October 9, 2005 3:48 AM PDT
In reply to: From the FAQ.

Thanks R.Proffitt,

I checked out the page, but it didn't apply to my system. I have an old TEAC 512e CD-Rom drive without burner. Non-recordable. Any other suggestions?

Collapse -
Not to duplicate the web content.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 9, 2005 6:18 AM PDT
In reply to: re: CD drive

But the issue is well known. It annoys everyone there is no "do this cure" and some will dismiss the help as "not my issue."

Sorry to read that nothing in the FAQ could be used. Looks like your drive died in that case.

Cheers,

Bob

Collapse -
new cd-rw
by Steven8557 / October 10, 2005 5:41 AM PDT

Thanks for the help Bob. You were right, drive was shot. I just replaced it with a Mad Dog 52xCD-RW drive. Love it(didn't realize what I was missing by not having a burner)but it created a new problem. Now when computer is rebooted it show the Bios screen and shows a date/time error. I've reset the date/time through the Bios and through the taskbar, but it keeps happening every time I reboot. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for the help.

Collapse -
I wonder if the motherboard battery...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2005 5:53 AM PDT
In reply to: new cd-rw

When it gets low and old that sort of complaint happens. Do you have a voltmeter to check that?

Bob

Collapse -
battery???
by Steven8557 / October 10, 2005 6:17 AM PDT

I do have a voltmeter. Checking the battery is not something I would have never thought of! I'll check it and get back to you. Thanks,

Steven

Collapse -
battery???-Thanks
by Steven8557 / October 11, 2005 5:56 AM PDT
In reply to: battery???

Great suggestion Bob. Found the CMOS battery,(hidden behind the disk drive)and replaced it. Started up, set time/date in the Bios and booted Windows. Came up fine. Shut down, restarted and rebooted, problems gone!! Running like a champ. Thanks for the time and help!!

Steven

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!