Peripherals forum

General discussion

CD/DVD RW wont play CDs of any kind, but only DVDs!!!

My CD/DVD RW drive wont play or recognize any of my CDs, not of music, nor programs, nor VCDs. I have an HP pavilion dv4040us notebook and it is really urgent for me to get this stupid thing to work, since my job depends on a program I need to install in my computer!
Please, somebody help!!1

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CD/DVD RW wont play CDs of any kind, but only DVDs!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CD/DVD RW wont play CDs of any kind, but only DVDs!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is this a new machine?

In reply to: CD/DVD RW wont play CDs of any kind, but only DVDs!!!

Have you contacted HP?

Collapse -
Yes, this is a new machine, I bought it one month ago

In reply to: Is this a new machine?

Hey, sorry for not seeing your response, thanks for your interest. The truth is that my uncle bought it for me and brought it to Ecuador where I come from. I bought this machine because I had to travel to Oslo for an internship and when in Oslo, like one week before I arrived I put a music CD in the drive and tried to use itunes to copy this CD into my computer. While it was copying this CD it suddenly stopped and from there on I have been unable to play any CD of any kind in my computer.

Collapse -
XP?

In reply to: Yes, this is a new machine, I bought it one month ago

Have you tried System Restore? If that doesn't fix it then it sounds like the drive is bad. HP is probably your only option. It's still in warranty.

Collapse -
I tried to restore the OS but I had to copy the restore CD

In reply to: XP?

I tried to restore the Windows XP OS but the restore CD obviously wont be recognized by my computer, so I copied the CD into a Flash memory and then into my computer and executed the restore, but a message pops up and says that an Upgrade would be unavailable since the file NETUPGRD.DLL was unable to load.

Then I only have the option of making a full restore but in an advanced mode. I continue with the process and eventually I am asked to introduce the typical 25 letter code for Microsoft products and I have no idea where to find that code since my restore CD (the one from HP that came along with my notebook) does not include a 25 letter code.

Collapse -
You may have diagnosed the issue.

In reply to: I tried to restore the OS but I had to copy the restore CD

Most Restore CDs are bootable. If you can't boot said CD, and it should, then you have found the issue. Bad CD or bad drive.

Bob

Collapse -
I was referring to. . .

In reply to: I tried to restore the OS but I had to copy the restore CD

System Restore. Start, All programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.