Storage forum

General discussion

CD & DVD Recordable Media Disk Reliability

by taboma / November 8, 2009 1:28 PM PST

Anyone know what the most reliable media disks there are out there?
I have Memorex and TDK?R media disks that are reliable. I also have Verbatim DVD-R media disks.

Lately I have noticed a number of Verbatim DVD-R disks that have been giving me problems with my Lacie disk writer.
It seems I am waiting for my disk writer a lot recently along with the Roxio Toast software waiting for the disk writer to kick in. (Waiting and waiting.)
The problem seems to be with the Lacie software that is trying to read the DVD Verbatim disks.
If I change to a new Verbatim disk, sometimes it will solve the problem and record.

I think there is a problem with Verbatim DVD media disks. I threw out three out of eight new disks this evening because my Lacie could not read the new blank media disk.
Drives me crazy at times.

What media disk manufacturers are the best for us to use?
I am tired of wasting my money purchasing unreliable media disks.

What about you!??

Thanks,

-Kevin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CD & DVD Recordable Media Disk Reliability
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CD & DVD Recordable Media Disk Reliability
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Actually.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2009 8:18 PM PST

I found the issues to be more about the recorder. These used to cost hundreds of dollars but now are 25 dollars. What appears to be sucked out to get to the low price is reliability of the drive. If you want mroe reliable recording, use drives under 2 years old.

http://www.itl.nist.gov/iad/894.05/publications.html has the articles on care and handling as well as research on life.
Bob

Collapse -
Actually.
by taboma / November 9, 2009 2:18 PM PST
In reply to: Actually.

Bob, your links are too complicated and advanced for me to fathom.
I suffer from CRS.
Post back and make it really simple for me to understand.

OK, what CD-DVD recorder do you use and recommend?

At first thought, I was thinking the recorder was the problem.
Than I thought the media disks may be the issue.

I am not sure how old my Lacie really is. Maybe a year and a half old at the most.
Almost all CD disks work well with my recorder. When I get to DVD's, that is when I start to have a problem lately accessing, and recording them. Never had a problem before. Problems started within the last month. May be the brand?

Time to purchase a new recorder??
Would it be time to vacuum out the Lacie recorder?

How about me throwing it in my dishwasher in order to clean it!?
That should get rid of the cobwebs and correct my Lacie recorder!
Soap or no soap?
Same time for me to clean my old keyboard that that has cigarette butt ashes in it?

True!!! I am not making this up.
Cleaning a keyboard in a dishwasher works!
Most all electronic boards are cleaned with sterilized hot water.
I wonder what would happen to the Lacie? Mort

Collapse -
Your choice to research or not.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2009 8:40 PM PST
In reply to: Actually.

The research has been done on media. Your choice to go there.

Your choice as to the drives. I can only share what I'm seeing and want to write TWO more things.

1. You will see most consumers dig in their heels about replacing old recorders. Good for them but let's hope they don't pay for their reluctance.

2. You didn't reveal how you were recording on DVD media. "ANY" drag to disc or "DVD as a big floppy" software is prone to failure. To keep it simple and working the SINGLE CLOSED SESSION methods work best.

Good luck,
Bob

Collapse -
Your choice to research or not.
by taboma / November 10, 2009 11:33 AM PST

Bob, I had researched many brands. I chose LaCie. Not on price, but performance. I use a single closed session when I record to my LaCie D2 using Firewire. LaCie also comes with LightScribe direct disk labeling invented by HP. (I have never used LightScribe feature.) Do you?

I really do not have a problem with the LaCie at all.
I really think my problem is with the DVD media that I purchased.
Some brands are better than others.

LaCie also burns double layer 2.4x. I have never used that feature or media as well.

Care to inform us on the quality of recordable media? Bob, do you ever record to double layer DVD's?

I for one, would love to know since I need to purchase new DVD media disks soon. I purchase from the net most of the time.

Thanks, Bob?

-Kevin

Collapse -
Let me go out on a limb.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 10, 2009 8:03 PM PST

Here's some media that is performing well. That is, always works for me.

HP (surprise but not to me since HP is full of tech heads.)
Sony
Verbatim

Those CAKE BOXES or SPINDLES of 50, 200 media are great buys but those are not for people who must have reliable operation and long life.
Bob

Collapse -
Let me go out on a limb.
by taboma / November 11, 2009 2:02 PM PST

Bob, do not fall off the branch!:

Collapse -
Lens cleaning.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 11, 2009 8:19 PM PST

About once a year here but no drives here are given much more than that if they are troublesome. They get replaced. The lesson is simple but hard for consumers. They want the drive fixed but not replaced and that is costly.

If you think you have a media issue, get other media.

And the old advice sounds like it is worth repeating. Burn at half the speed of the media or the drive, which ever is lower.
Bob

Collapse -
Quality and cost
by Willy / November 8, 2009 9:17 PM PST

If you plan to store data for a long period of time, that is for yrs.(decades), then look for media that mentions "archival usage" or is made of the "golden media" it literally has golden hue as part of the media. These tend to be made specifically for long term data storage. Anything else maybe good or better amongst std. media storage use, but don't count on that just because you believe it will, archival media says it will. Next, spend $ on a very good brand name R/W burner, as these make a difference not only to burn the media but later retrieve it.

As for your issues, it could be possible the drive is starting to go. if you use a burner alot, I have found that 1yr. usage is tops in many cases before a problem arises. More so, the cheaper it is. You got to wonder why there are $20+ vs, $100+ units what could be the difference? Now you know, they tend to last longer and actually do the job at peak performance.

I remember when having a CD reader cost $10grand(yrs. ago) and the writer about $5grand, now if you need both that's $15large.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Quality and cost
by taboma / November 9, 2009 3:07 PM PST
In reply to: Quality and cost

Willy,
Maybe my Lacie recorder is starting to go. I was thinking the same thing the other evening.
Any suggestions for a good burner?
I do not care about the cost. I want it to be reliable and to last a few years if that it is possible.
I hate the burner of the month!!

Any ideas on media recommendations? DVD-R disks?

-Kevin

Collapse -
Suggestions
by samkh / November 9, 2009 11:39 PM PST
Collapse -
Suggestions
by taboma / November 10, 2009 12:18 PM PST
In reply to: Suggestions

Thanks, samkh,
I did check out those optical drives, yet I am staying away from any new optical drives because of an unfortunate history with optical drives in the past.
Remember ZIP Disks years ago? That media was junk!
Failed quite often. I have a giant bag full of ZIP disks along with optical disks that I want to donate to a large reclamation facility.
I do not want to send these disks out in my trash bin at all.

How the heck do we get rid of these disks!? What is the proper procedure?

-Kevin

Collapse -
Suggestions...
by Willy / November 9, 2009 11:44 PM PST

Look into Philips, Sony and Plextor(sp) as brands to check out. The actual model, pick a top dollar one. As those will certainly change or not be offered within a 1yr. of having been offered. That's the nature of electronics.

One clue to a good burner is check "stand-alone burner/copiers" offered by vendors to duplicate CD/DVD's. Check what the guts(specs) are and use that as a measuring stick.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Suggestions...
by taboma / November 10, 2009 1:03 PM PST
In reply to: Suggestions...

"tada" -----Willy,
Thanks for your research. I will check them out.

I do have my LaCie that is a stand-alone burner. The LaCie was not a cheapo brand at all. Has a lot of nice features. Can also burn double media. I am not sure that everyone has the ability to read a double disk DVD on an older computer.
How old is old!!??

I viewed some-where that technology doubles every two years.
I absolutely believe it!!

View a U.S. made F-16 fighter aircraft that is very good.
Used by many nations.
Now view the F-22 Raptor fighter aircraft. When was it conceived?
What is next in technology!?

Macintosh recently developed and introduced a new "Mighty Mouse" that lets you scroll across your computer screen, etc. Within two years it may be outdated.

Your comment? "Nature of electronics" says it all.

Thanks, Willie? :

Collapse -
Bad disks ARE possible
by rje49 / November 13, 2009 9:35 AM PST

I usually go with the opinion that most all recordable disks are alike, but I recently found out there are indeed defective disks out there. I was recording and mailing out 4-disk sets of music CDs for friends & family. I used up a box of Staples brand CDs that I picked up a the flea market for 2 bucks, then started on a brand new box of Memorex. I always check the recording by playing a bit from random tracks. This time, I was finding some with "broken up" sound, stopping and starting, and just plain refusal to play. Guess which ones? Every Memorex disk! I cut one up; it was unusually brittle. I returned the box to Wal-Mart and told them to expect more returns!

Collapse -
Bad disks ARE possible
by taboma / November 15, 2009 1:33 PM PST
In reply to: Bad disks ARE possible

rje49, Maybe Bob P. may know more. I am still at a loss as to the problem. Oxidation on the disks? Crappy disks?
Thanks!!

Did you receive a refund for the defective Memorex media from Wall-Mart?
Wall-Mart is very good with returns and defective merchandise concerns.

-Kevin

Collapse -
Refunded
by rje49 / November 15, 2009 7:27 PM PST

Yes, with no problem. I bought a pack of Sony instead.

Collapse -
Bad disks ARE possible
by taboma / November 18, 2009 1:56 PM PST

rje49m:
Glad to hear back from another Kevin.
Yes, I think Bob Proffitt knows more than all of us combined.
Bob must have close to a million posts here on CNET. True!

Bad disks are possible. I was thinking oxidation also. My Verbatim media disks are over a year old. Could be oxidation and cigarette smoke pollution combined. That is why I never went back to Wall-Mart for a refund.
You should see my Mac Pro keyboard. I turn it upside down and shake the cigarette ashes around in it once a week. My wife hates to use my Mac keyboard. The keys stick a lot. I plan to clean it in my dishwasher very soon. Just do not use any dishwashing detergent ever when cleaning any electronic boards. Hot water is all that is needed to clean electronic boards by the manufacturer. Why not for us!?

P.S. Disconnect any USB cords and the USB mouse when cleaning the keyboard and do not use the dry cycle! :

Collapse -
Memorex.
by JPDeveau / November 28, 2010 9:17 AM PST

Memorex are terrible.

Verbatim disks have never given me a problem. However LaCie has, test your burner and stick to verbatim and TDK disks. Thats my opinion.

Collapse -
Hello
by Noblepuker / December 4, 2010 7:28 AM PST

I started with a $480 HP CD writer...it quit reading disks within a year or so.Since then,i've had about eight writers...,from yamaha,to sony...from pro-lite to samsung.They ALL quit reading disks after a year or two.The last 2 were CD/DVD writers.I know,it sounds like they fill with dust and quit...but i took a few apart and cleaned them well with poor results.I managed to revive a couple,but only for a brief period.I have FIVE(24x-48x)in a box that don't see any CD's,no matter how new.I'm not ready to give up on them,thank the lord they're cheap nowadays.
CD's deteriorate as well...even if they're keep in cases,and pristine.Re-record your backup CD's every few years to be safe.I lost 5 of 12 backups,and they were scratch free....and no,it's not my dirty player(yet).
I have a new $30 pro-lite DVD/CD burner for a few months,and the darn tray won't open now.lol,figures.It's real cheap,i recommend a $50 one.

Collapse -
verbatim 16x dvd+R
by D_back / June 25, 2011 3:59 PM PDT

I am using verbatim 16x dvd+r to backup my important files and I thought it reliable . DVD backups are stored in safe place, protected from sun light. Some DVD's become unreadable after a year since burning. I think the problem is a burning speed. I burned my backups on 16x speed, and now I'll try to burn on 4x.
And in addition I think that the reliable way is to save backups on external HDD.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.