General discussion

CD/DVD player not working properly

I have a windows 7 OS, that acknowledges my CD/DVD player/burner, But the CD/DVD player/burner will not acknowledge when a CD or DVD is in the device, wether it is blank or has a recording on it.

PLEASE HELP !!!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: CD/DVD player not working properly
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: CD/DVD player not working properly
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I'd try

I'd try a new DVDRW drive first.

- Collapse -
CD/DVD player/burner not working

I'm not sure what you mean by "a new DVDRW drive?"
Do you mean get a new CD/DVD Player/ Burner?
I thought maybe a file was corrupt that could be fixed.

- Collapse -
if you now the make/ model number

then you can visit the manufacturers website and see if there is a firmware update for it.

- Collapse -
know the make/ model number

silly question probably, can you find out without opening the tower?
and how?

- Collapse -
yes

download and install a program called PC Wizard 2010 http://download.cnet.com/PC-Wizard-2010/3000-2094_4-10793737.html

From the main menu; click on 'Drives', double-click on # of CD-ROM drives, it will show the manufacturer, model #, and firmware revision number.
From this point you should be able to find the current drivers from the manufacturers website (don't download froman unknown source).

- Collapse -
This is what I get

This is what I get:

General Information :
Disk Type : CD-Rom Data
Peripheral Type : ATAPI
Model : TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653F
Recordable : Yes

So is ATAPI the manufacturer
(thank you for your help & time)

- Collapse -
That's a well known model.

It fails regularly because there are so many out there. Go ahead and fiddle if you must but in the end it usually comes back to life to taunt the owner then die again the next day.

Sorry to see you don't know this one.
Bob

- Collapse -
Re manuafacturer

ATAPI is the type, TSST the manufacturer.

But it doesn't really care. Just buy another one.

Kees

- Collapse -
actually, no

All the information you need is from this one line: TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653F

ATAPI (how the DVD-ROM is connected to your computer; upon further research, this device/ software is obsolete.)
TSSTcorp (Samsung)
DVD+-RW (DVD-ROM)
TS-H653F (model #)

I tried to locate the firmware update for this model (tried every angle), but it just doesn't exist.

Sorry, but I have to conclude with Bob on this...you're better off just buying a new DVD-ROM.

- Collapse -
I also agree

I could not find it anywhere's either.
Time for a new one. Sad

Thank you everyone for your time

- Collapse -
new cd/dvd

now best place to buy new one?

- Collapse -
noneed for the :-(
- Collapse -
Thanks for your help

Thanks for your help,
I just ordered from newegg this for $26.00

LG 22X DVD Burner - Bulk Black
SATA Model GH22LS50 LightScribe
Support - OEM
22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 22X ...
16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM

didn't as bad as I thought it would

- Collapse -
if you have anymore problems

with install or anything, you know where to find us.

Happy

- Collapse -
I wonder ...

if a SATA model to replace an IDE model is a good idea. Depends on your motherboard, of course, but you didn't tell about it. Does that have a spare SATA connection?

Kees

CNET Forums