Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

CD/DVD drives not recognized - different twist

by drbrown / October 10, 2005 2:16 AM PDT

I know this is a common problem in forums, but my situation is unique (I think). A virus apparently has invaded my computer disallowing access to the tools needed to address the problem such as device manager. task master, and MSCONFIG. They will flicker, then disappear. I've been able to get a look at the device manager by pressing print screen and pasting it into Word. Yesterday, the DVD/CD-ROM drives showed up in device manager, but with the yellow circle in the DVD RW (it's new and hasn't worked yet) and no mention of the standard CD/DVD drive. Today there is no listing at all in device manager for DVD/CD drives. Can I correct this in the BIOS? This computer is not on line and I don't know if I can get it on without a CD-
ROM to install a driver. A forum member gave me an excellent idea for the virus fix (in a misplaced Me forum), but I need a drive to begin to get on line. Any ideas? This Catch 22 situation is killing me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CD/DVD drives not recognized - different twist
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CD/DVD drives not recognized - different twist
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I dont understand
by TONI H / October 10, 2005 2:22 AM PDT

why you think you need a cdrom in order to get on the internet to get a virus scan. Is the computer able to get access to the net at all?

Collapse -
Thought I needed ISP software
by drbrown / October 10, 2005 9:42 PM PDT
In reply to: I dont understand

Since this was not my original computer, I thought I would need to install software to access my ISP. My son showed me how he got online when it was healthy, so the internet issue is moot with one small hitch - the bug is not allowing a browser to open. Now I am really frustrated. Maybe I can load an antivirus onto a flash drive and do an end run around this thing.

Collapse -
You have to discern whether....
by Michael Geist / October 10, 2005 2:25 AM PDT

you have a hardware problem, a software problem, or both.

I would check the Bios to see if the missing drives are properly registered. Then I might boot from an XP cd to see if the drive can read from the cd. If the hardware checks out, then you're dealing with a Windows problem.

Free on line virus/spyware scanners abound on the Internet. But since you are not online you would have to run those programs locally from a USB flash drive or other such removable device.

Collapse -
Flash Drive may be the best attempt
by drbrown / October 10, 2005 9:33 PM PDT

I got started on this project with a computer that my son gave me. The problem, I was told, was that the CD Rom was not working. That was a fraction of it. I can't boot with the XP disc because it's not recognized. I am now able to go online, but of course the bug won't let me open a browser. Back to square one. The virus won't let me into device manager either, but I can get ino the Bios. I'm not sure what to look for there, and I sure don't what to make the wrong decision. Any suggestions?

Collapse -
Flash drive to the rescue ?
by Papa Echo / October 10, 2005 10:11 PM PDT

The computer may be too far off normal. I suggest running HJT from a flash drive, save the log on that flash drive, and then post it to a HJT forum for assistance, e.g. Castle cops. Use another computer for this. There are also on-line HJT analysis, e.g. HERE Again, use another computer. It is usually safe to remove the bad things it finds, but it is better to have the HJT log analysed by the experts at Castle Cops. It may take several sessions to clean up your computer.

It may be easier to reinstall the OS, and may have to be done sooner than you thought. However, I would go the HJT route first, if only to make the computer working for easier backing up.....

Collapse -
safe mode
by linkit / October 10, 2005 11:17 PM PDT

Can you boot into Safe Mode (press F8 a bunch of times during early startup for the boot menu)? Run your virus and spyware scans in Safe Mode.

Try to download virus/spyware definitions before scanning.

Collapse -
Since you can access the Bios....
by Michael Geist / October 11, 2005 7:08 AM PDT

you should be able to check if the CDRom drive is listed under your IDE devices, assuming they are attached to the primary or secondary IDE channel.

Once this is known, you can narrow down the source of the problem.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?