Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Desktops forum

General discussion

cd/dvd drives missing

by airjer / November 25, 2009 4:47 AM PST

I replaced my Dell PC with a Mac this past spring. Recently I started cleaning up that PC so my 6 year old can use it and while removing programs I must have deleted the drivers for the cd player.
I originally thought that the cd player **** the bed and bought a new cd/dvd player but that isn't working either. In working wiht tech Support for the player they were able to determine that the drivers were missing. They had nothing to offer to me since they just use the Windows drivers. Can I copy the drivers from another XP machine? If so, is there a specific file I should be copying? I noticed that there are a copy of folders for drivers. Is the driver folder under systems the one that I should be copying.
In reading some articles it appears I have two other options - one is to bring it to someone to fix and the other is to download Xp from the MS website onto 7 diskettes and reinstall XP.
Would upgrading to Windows 7 solve this problem? I have a 7 year old machine and I have heard that Windows 7 may not be too compatible with a machine that old. I am maxed out on memory at 1GB. I only have a 40 GB harddrive too.
Thank you for your thoughts.

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Let's try one thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2009 5:00 AM PST
In reply to: cd/dvd drives missing
Collapse -
cd drivers
by airjer / November 26, 2009 12:28 PM PST
In reply to: Let's try one thing.

Thanks for that link. It did the trick. Now if i can only find the software for the cd/dvd player I will be all set

Collapse -
Here's a few FREE titles I use.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2009 11:21 PM PST
In reply to: cd drivers

In no particular order, google these up.

CDBURNERXP
IMGBURN
DVD FLICK

Those 3 do about everything I need to do with recordable CD and DVD media.
Bob

Collapse -
cd drivers
by angelface412 / December 1, 2009 11:07 PM PST
In reply to: cd/dvd drives missing

You can go to drivers guide .com and get your drivers just for your cd and dvd. You must know the manufacture or the driver number. I have downloaded a lot of drivers from them and I have never had a problem. Good Luck!

Collapse -
Why did you write this?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2009 11:12 PM PST
In reply to: cd drivers

It comes across as a SPAM POST since no such driver is available for this issue.

READ THE POST before you add such a reply.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!