Windows Vista forum

General discussion

CD/DVD Drive not recognized in Vista

by hogrunr / November 8, 2007 11:23 PM PST

Okay, I have an HP m7750n with a TSST TS-H653L CD/DVD combo drive running Windows Vista Home. I have read on here and on many other pages including the HP support pages and the microsoft Knowledge base articles about this problem.

Most peoples problems are solved by deleting the upper/lower filter registry keys, but mine is not.

So far I have uninstalled all cd/dvd third party software, uninstalled itunes, checked the SATA and power cables inside the computer, and deleted the upper/lower reg files.

Still in the device manager, the drive is listed under "other devices" instead of Drives and has a question mark by it. It gives no error code since it doesn't have the exclamation point by it. The BIOS recognizes the drive when I look at it during boot up, but the computer doesn't see it at all once in windows. I've tried downloading new firmware for it, but none of the programs that will install the firmware (including the one from Samsung, who makes this drive) can see the drive, so they won't let me install new firmware for a drive I "don't have."

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SUGGEST SOMETHING I HAVEN'T TRIED ALREADY?!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CD/DVD Drive not recognized in Vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CD/DVD Drive not recognized in Vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you remove it in safe mode?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2007 11:27 PM PST

While in safe mode, did you head to the device manager to remove that drive?

Collapse -
Re: Did you remove it in safe mode?
by hogrunr / November 8, 2007 11:30 PM PST

No I haven't done this in safe mode yet, but I have done it in regular mode multiple times and Windows can't ever reinstall it because it can't ever find the drivers for it(which is stupid it calls it drivers in the first place since optical drives don't use drivers)

Collapse -
Since that doesn't work, why not use SAFE MODE?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2007 11:40 PM PST

The next question is... Is this the stock drive?

I couldn't tell.

Bob

Collapse -
This is the stock drive
by hogrunr / November 8, 2007 11:50 PM PST

This is the one that came with the computer. According to what I have read this is a problem with Windows that has been going on for years.

Collapse -
And a recurring solution is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2007 11:52 PM PST

Removing it in the device manager in safe mode.

There appears to be a glitch in the forum today so I may not get back here quickly. I had hoped that you would try the usual and report back. But in case it's a few days I'll have to wish you the best of luck.

Bob

Collapse -
I am having the same problem wih my cd and dvd drive
by globesmile / November 18, 2007 1:24 PM PST

If you figure out how to fix it please let me know. It seems like we have the same problem. When I ran the regedit I deleted the lower filter but never saw an upper filter. I have also tried deleting the drives but it comes back and shows up exactly the way your does.

Thank you

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 18, 2007 10:15 PM PST

But my drive works fine so it's doubtful it shows up the same way.

Since your issue is different I suggest you make a new post but don't forget to read and heed the words in red.

Bob

Collapse -
Mine is Fixed
by hogrunr / November 18, 2007 10:20 PM PST
In reply to: Sorry.

The way I ended up fixing mine is when the computer gives you the option to browse for the driver on your computer, I just pointed it to the Windows folder and it found the drive in there.

Also, if your computer is a fairly new HP or Compaq, it will have a program called "Recovery Manager." This program can re-install any of the programs/drivers that came with the computer.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.