Windows 8 forum

CD/DVD drive not reading discs

by Sameer_PS / February 4, 2014 5:58 PM PST

CD/DVD drive not reading any discs.Recently, i am having this new problem. The drive name is HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS95 ATA.

If i click the DVD drive symbol,it says insert disc like there is no disc inside the CPU but there is..

The problem didn't get solved using Microsoft Fix it tool.I also uninstalled the drive and restarted PC,that didn't worked as well.

Mostly the solution for this problem i noted in multiple sites is - Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}.
and to delete the "UpperFilters" or "LowerFilters".

I don't have "UpperFilters" or "LowerFilters". My drive is new so there can't be problem with the Drive.What else can be the problem ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CD/DVD drive not reading discs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CD/DVD drive not reading discs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Re: drive not reading discs
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 4, 2014 6:04 PM PST

Even new drives can fail. That's why they come with warranty. So back to the shop and let them prove it works with them.

Collapse -
Sometimes it's the cheaper DVD's.
by orlbuckeye / February 11, 2014 9:49 PM PST

Does it play your music Dvd's or Cd's? If it play them it could be the brand of media your using.

Collapse -
Further thoughts ...
by KenBgc / February 13, 2014 4:35 AM PST

Deleting the upper and lower filters - as you suggest - is the usual suggestion when this problem is posted.
You say that you don't have the filters in the registry key.
This is not unusual - they are not always there.

Not sure what system you have ....

Vista / Win7
Start > type in ......devmgmt.msc .....ENTER
Click the > next to Disk Drives
If your device is there ....right click on it ....uninstall
There could be a yellow exclamation mark against the device - ignore this - uninstall anyway.
Windows will locate new hardware and re-install the drivers.

Win 8
open the Search Option .....type in ...device manager ...ENTER
Follow the above.

Collapse -
It didn't work
by Sameer_PS / February 22, 2014 8:56 PM PST
In reply to: Further thoughts ...

( Computer : Compaq Presario FK802AA-ACJ SG3530IL
CPU : 2.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual
Motherboard : MSI Boston 1.0
Ram : 1 GB
Soundcard : Realtek High Definition Audio )

I am using Win 8. I did what you said and that didn't work.

When i clicked 'Show hidden devices' in deice manager,there is something called as 'Other devices' in the list with a small question mark symbol.Under the 'Other devices' there is something called as 'Unknown device' with a small question mark symbol. When i clicked properties,it says --- (Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer.)

That can't give any problem for DVD drive,right ? Should i uninstall that 'Unknown device' ?

Collapse -
Re: DVD drive
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 22, 2014 9:16 PM PST
In reply to: It didn't work

That looks like a rather old computer. That surely makes a installing a new drive the first thing to try.

Collapse -
DVD drive is new
by Sameer_PS / February 23, 2014 11:16 AM PST
In reply to: Re: DVD drive

Actually the DVD drive is new. I only write some 3 DVDs so far with this drive.

Collapse -
Re: drive
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 23, 2014 4:05 PM PST
In reply to: DVD drive is new

Let me repeat what I wrote above:
"Even new drives can fail. That's why they come with warranty. So back to the shop and let them prove it works with them."

But if you have another PC you can try it there yourself. This is seldom caused by sofware or settings errors, so my guess is it will fail there also.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?