Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

CD drives will not work

by DawnW / September 21, 2006 1:58 AM PDT

Hi all: All of a sudden my disk drives on my tower will not work. I insert a CD and nothing happens. I tried to read previous posts regarding this and what other people have tried to fix this, but I do not understand much of the conversations. I am not very knowledgeable about computers at all. Can anyone tell me where to start in figuring out what is wrong?

Thanks so much - Dawn Wilson

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CD drives will not work
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CD drives will not work
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If other discussions fail you...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 21, 2006 2:55 AM PDT

Maybe it's time to just reload the OS again?

Sometimes that's the easy fix.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: cd drives not working
by Kees Bakker / September 21, 2006 4:50 AM PDT

Dawn,

That's more or less the same as happens with me if I put in a not-autorun CD. Although I admit, the yellow light on the front side turns on for about 5 seconds. I suppose it doesn't even do that with you? Or do you consider a light going on and off to be 'nothing happening'.

How many CD-drives do you have installed?

Four rather simple diagnostics:
1. What does Device Manager have to say about the CD drives? Do you see a yellow exclamation mark with them?
2. What does My Computer (or Windows Explorer) say about the drives? If you put in a CD, can you view its label and contents?
3. Remove the CD-ROM, reboot into MS-DOS (from Start>Shutdown), put in a 'normal data CD-ROM' and type dir d: (if you have one hard disk and d: is the drive letter of your first cd-rom). See if DOS lists the contents and note any error message.
4. Find a friend with a bootable CD (a Microsoft Windows XP CD is fine) and put it in. Go into the BIOS setup and set the boot sequence to 'CD first'. Exit saving changes and see if the Windows XP setup will come up.

If you can't do #4 for lack of a such a CD, do only #1 through #3. Post your experiences.

It might be necessary indeed to do a clean install of the OS, as Bob suggest. Ever done it? Do you have a boot diskette, Windows 98 CD + license key, restore CD, all drivers on diskette or CD or hard disk? Just the necessary precautions. I wouldn't like you to be stuck halfway.

Kees

Collapse -
cd drives not working
by DawnW / September 21, 2006 10:54 AM PDT

Thank you both for responding. I have a CD drive and a DVD drive. I do see a yellow light flashing when I insert a disk, but I am extremely computer illiterate and not sure what that means. Here is what I found out so far: When I go in device manager, there are two exclamation points next to the following:
HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8400B and
TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1612

When I go into My Computer and insert a disk, nothing shows up.

It will be a couple of days before I get a chance to get the "normal data CD-ROM" disk, which I am assuming I can get at Best Buy.

I will let you know what happens afer I purchase that and can perform the third step.

Thanks so much! Dawn Wilson

Collapse -
Don't buy a CD....
by reefurbb / September 21, 2006 11:43 PM PDT

1. What was meant was a "factory" CD which is better burnt than a home made one. Stores have free copies of like Coppernet or such, any free demo CD, AOL CD's for free trial, any CD that came with any hardware purchase, such as your CDrom/DVD drives, or a modem, or a game CD from the library....you get the idea.
2. yellow exclamation marks. Left click on either one to hilite it, then go down and do 1 left on "properties" and see what it says is the problem, reason for the mark. Perhaps you lost your chipset drivers for the IDE ribbon/channel. The ribbon is in and the power wires are ok or these devices wouldn't show up. The DVD drive/player doesn't need drivers for itself. It will read CD's and DVD's
As long as they are marked yellow, it won't matter what CD you put in, it won't read.

Collapse -
Don't buy a CD
by DawnW / September 22, 2006 3:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Don't buy a CD....

Okay, I get what you are saying now about the CD. I don't have one, but will try to find one. When I left click on the exclamation mark, it says "Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware (code 41). Any idea what that means?

Thanks again! Dawn

Collapse -
Re: Windows cannot find the hardware.
by Kees Bakker / September 22, 2006 4:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Don't buy a CD

Dawn,

I can hardly believe you have a CD-drive and a DVD-drive and no CD at all! Luckily, to test the CD-drive using Windows Explorer or My Computer, a music CD will work fine: it will show something like Track1, Track2 etc.

The message "Windows cannot find the hardware" lets me think something is wrong with the hardware. That fits with your description "All of a sudden ... they won't work". Could be a bad motherboard or a loose cable.
If you're sure you didn't do anything special softwarewise to provoke this (like uninstalling a cd-burner software) or removing spyware, and it REALLY came out of the blue, that's still more likely.

My advice:
1. Boot into MS-DOS (from start>shutdown), then type scanreg /restore (followed by enter, because this is MS-DOS). Then choose a date up to 5 days ago, when the drives still worked. This will restore the registry, that could somehow have gotten into a state where the drives are blocked. Type win to get into Windows again, and try if you can see the drives.
2. If not, it's time to bring the machine to a repair shop, in my opinion. Be sure you write down a good description of the problem and what you've tried yourself in vain. You can also copy all of these posts to Word and print the whole discussion so the tech can read it. Even if he disagrees with everything Bob, reefurbb and I said, it will still help him to get the picture.

Hope this helps, and please keep us informed.

Kees

Collapse -
I can't believe 2 recent posts about CD drive probs...
by reefurbb / September 23, 2006 1:00 AM PDT

read the post/replies to pekoe about boot inventory...BIOS inventory...boot floppy recognition, all about the CDrom drive.

Collapse -
Windows cannot find the hardware
by DawnW / September 23, 2006 10:10 AM PDT

Thanks to everyone for their help. I was hoping it was something simple, but that does not seem to be the case. I have decided to take it in to be looked at, since I think it is far beyond what I can try to fix at home.

Again, thanks for the help!

Dawn Wilson

Collapse -
same problems
by drudgetoiler / January 16, 2007 9:28 AM PST

fresh install, OS still doesn't recognize cd rom.
went to liteonit.com to look for drivers, all they have listed is new drivers.
anyone know how to get 24102b drivers, all im finding is firmware.

Collapse -
Tell me which MOTHERBOARD DRIVERS you installed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2007 10:17 AM PST
In reply to: same problems

That's the most common item people forget when installing Windows.

Bob

Collapse -
cd drive
by drudgetoiler / January 16, 2007 11:27 AM PST

hard to install any drivers when cd rom doesnt work. unless maybe copy cd files to another partition?

Collapse -
That was one of the challanges back then.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2007 8:04 PM PST
In reply to: cd drive

We had to be creative and use real mode CD drivers or put the drivers on the hard disk with DOS boot disk or other ways. It's been over 10 years of workarounds on this so I'll just ask you to remember how you did that last time.

Bob

Collapse -
CD drive not seen:
by Cursorcowboy / January 16, 2007 10:43 PM PST
In reply to: same problems

1. Start with "The CD-ROM drive cannot be recognized or seen by the system or the CD-ROM driver hangs or says it cannot find the CD-ROM when it loads."

2. If devices are recognized as attached peripherals they will be listed as resident on the "System Configuration Summary" (BIOS Startup Screen) at boot. Press the Pause key as soon as you see this screen start displaying so it can be stopped and read. Press any other key to continue. If the CMOS/BIOS does not recognize and display peripheral information on this screen, Windows certainly will not.

Note: Enter the BIOS and set the particular controller where a single CD-ROM drive is attached to None instead of AutoDetect.

(PCGuide Web site quote)

The BIOS is not autodetecting the CD-ROM drive when the system boots up:

Explanation: Your BIOS supports detecting CD-ROM drives when it autodetects at boot time, but either consistently or intermittently does not detect your drive.

Diagnosis: Support for detecting CD-ROM drives in BIOSes can be rather spotty. Newer ones usually support this feature but older ones don't. I have also seen drives that are sometimes detected and sometimes not. Ironically, the BIOS doesn't really do anything when it autodetects a CD-ROM, unlike when it detects a hard disk. The CD-ROM is controlled entirely by the software driver. So in short, it doesn't really matter much if the CD-ROM is detected in the BIOS or not.

Recommendation: Don't worry about it.

(End quote)

3. Use an Emergency Startup Disk/EBD with BIOS properly set to boot to start the computer and see if access to the CD drive is possible and a director listing can be performed by typing dir at the command prompt and then pressing Enter - do this with several CDs without rebooting to see if access to different CDs operate correctly.

4. Test a CD drive using the Windows 98 "Microsoft System Information (MSINFO32.EXE)" (Click to see an example screenshot) tool, which is a tool for gathering system configuration information and is intended primarily to help engineers determine information that could indicate problems with a system (click the + (plus sign) in front of "Components", and then "Multimedia"). Click CD-ROM without a CD, place a known good CD in the drive, click Multimedia, and then CD-ROM again. Close the module before ejecting the CD.

5. Edit the Registry for anomalous entries:

a. Click Start Run and type regedit and then press Enter.

b. If the CD drive in question is IDE, and there are no SCSI drives on this computer, delete the key entry for HKLM\Enum\SCSI.

c. If there are entries other than the one 0000 sub-key in the following registry address - others numbered greater than four zeros, remove them:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Service\Class\CDROM\0000

6. If any updates from the Microsoft site has been integrated into the system just prior to this anomaly occuring, uninstall those and see if the problem is corrected (click Start, Run, type msinfo32, and then press Enter. From the Tools menu, select Update Wizard Uninstall, and follow the instructions).

Note: If you'd like to compare the before and after process before initiating the uninstall, there are two and perhaps more, registry addresses involved which are listed below. Export the main key address for which these two sub-addresses fall and after initiating the Update Wizard Uninstall, compare the two (TEXT) file for differences:

a. To start the System Registry Editor, click Start, Run, type regedit, and then press Enter.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\MF\CHILD0000
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\MF\CHILD0001

Note: Click the Plus box in front of HKLM to expand it and continue clicking/expanding appropriate folders (each word preceded by a slash in the above address) until reaching the last folder named "MF". As sub-folder to this address, you should find the last two items.

b. Click MF again so this address has focus (bolded). Click Registry in the main menu and select Export registry file. Select where you want it saved (floppy perhaps) and change the extension of the file type to .txt - don't want you accidentally double-clicking it and that information be re-entered into the system registry, which it would if the file has a .reg extension. I'd simply use the file name as reflected for that address (mf.txt). This export would be used only for comparing the before and the removal after an update.

c. If you have accomplished the above, or simply looked at the information contained in the registry, click Registry in the main menu and select Exit. Or simply click the tiny x in the URHC of the window to close.

Note: To check the differences after an uninstall, open the registry and compare them to that of the exported text file(s) -- most likely any differences in the line "DeviceDesc"=".

Warning: The article [Q194847] explains that when a device driver is chosen to uninstall, the newer version is removed (no backup copy is saved) and the older version is reinstalled. Also be advised that the wizard is used only to uninstall device drivers, not software packages.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?