HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

CD driver

by aanders999 / April 17, 2011 8:26 AM PDT

Is there any way I can download the imbedded driver for optical drives? I am using Win XP pro SP3, on a Dell Optimax 280. For some time I have been getting blue screen stops occasionally that indicate a driver caused the problem, a few weeks ago the CD and DVD drive (IDE)quit working, Ive tried disable and enable, remove and install, downloaded updated driver from dell, installed an SATA optical drive with same results.Thanks for any help/ideas.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CD driver
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CD driver
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
No
by Jimmy Greystone / April 17, 2011 8:58 AM PDT
In reply to: CD driver

No, and if the embedded optical drive driver is causing blue screen errors, there's a better than 50% chance that it's because the drive has either started failing or has failed. If you have an Optiplex 280, which is probably around the ten years old mark, it's entirely possible. It's also entirely possible you have a bad cap or two, which was a known issue with the 260, 270, and 280 line of Optiplexes.

Collapse -
cd driver
by aanders999 / April 17, 2011 10:50 AM PDT
In reply to: No

Thanks Jimmy, I was afraid of that.I said Optimax but meant optiplex (i'm old ya know!)I've had both drives for years, a while back I went to copy a cd and it kept telling me to insert a disc so I tried the second drive and got the same results, under device mgr it showed both with a yellow (! mark if I remember) so I tried all the enable disable etc, no help so physically removed each and reinstalled one at a time, so I thought either bad cable or mother board. Got an ATA connected drive and get the same results, I guess the only common thing is the driver. Maybe time for new machine anyway. Thanks again, Andy

Collapse -
Answer
cd fixed
by aanders999 / April 18, 2011 4:45 AM PDT
In reply to: CD driver

I went to this site "support.microsoft.com/kb/310994" to get boot up floppies,at this site I got a pop-up (microsoft)that said if you are having cd/dvd problems to run their fixit, I did and it found the problems with windows and repaired them, now both of my optical drives work. I had searched microsoft for cd fixes but never got this. Might be a good site to bookmark!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.