Desktops forum

General discussion

Cd-Drive won't update under my computer...

by mdorries / February 27, 2007 8:31 AM PST

Okay, I have an issue and am not sure how to resolve the problem.

Let's start off with a scenario. Let's say I boot the computer with a DVD in the "e-drive" and open the 'My Computer'. It will tell me what is in the drive. When I eject the DVD from "e:drive" and replace it with a CD the 'My Computer' will not update the cd-drive. The cd will also not do the auto-play (as do most cds that have an auto launch procedure). The cd-drive under 'My Computer' will still show what was in the drive when the system was booted. Even if I refresh the window it does nothing. If I double click on the icon it will still act like it's a dvd and launch a dvd player instead of a music program or the application. So far the only way to view the contents of the cd is to right click and explore.

This is currently occurring to both my cd-drives so I'm sure it may not be an issue with them but something else. All the drivers are current and still cannot find the cause of the problem.

What could be causing this issue?

I am running Windows XP if that matters to anybody.

Any help could be greatly appreciated. If you need more info please ask.

-Mike

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cd-Drive won't update under my computer...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cd-Drive won't update under my computer...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can be proper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2007 8:55 AM PST

Autoinsert notification can be turned off as well as the owner relying on Microsoft for motherboard and other drivers.

Known workaround. Tap the F5 key to refresh the drive listing. Run the programs manually.

Some fixes. http://www.jsifaq.com/SF/Tips/Tip.aspx?id=6952 as well as updating your motherboard and other drivers.

Known items that thwart repair. Virtual CD or DVD emulators, some trojans, rootkits and other viral damage.

Bob

Collapse -
Start Up and Shut Down Procedures../
by castingRod47 / February 27, 2007 8:22 PM PST

First off..its best to say when I reach my DESKTOP..not so much that I BOOTUP and this or that..
Since you are useing a DVD-ROM..you need to know the Media Types going in that TRAY..CDs don't matter..but I use a TOSHIBA(dash)Drive that if I place a DVD(plus)Disk in will corrupt my OS..and I have a second DVD-Drive that both(+ -)so all problems are eliminated..
Then it seems you said that you SHUT-Down with a disk in the TRAY..and then performed your START-UP w/the disk still in the TRAY..this can cause a problem or NOT..never SHUT Down with Removable Media in their Devices(especially)the FLOPPY Drive..
Also..are you RUNNING a Scheduled SCAN..and you have forgotten..so your attempting to run two programs at once..and that could be your problem..
I also ARCHIVE my FILES/FOLDERS..this keeps my System Drive ready to RUN with little Power Management problems..I usually start with a empty PC..for each project..useing External HDDs..
If none of the above is any help I would suggest you Re-Install and take a fresh look at your PC.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.