Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

CD Drive won't recognize blank CDs

by admstockdale / September 15, 2006 9:53 AM PDT

I have 2 computers with the same problem. Neither will recognize a blank cd or DVD in the DVD-RW drives. When I go to My Computer and click on the drive, it either tells me to insert a CD or that the drive is inaccessible/ incorrect function. This is a recent phenomenon.

Could this be a microsoft patch issue?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CD Drive won't recognize blank CDs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CD Drive won't recognize blank CDs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Blank CDs not reconized.
by Papa Echo / September 15, 2006 1:07 PM PDT
When I go to My Computer and click on the drive, it either tells me to insert a CD or that the drive is inaccessible/ incorrect function.

Have you infact, put in a blank CD ? Do the drives work otherwise ? Things to try:
?clean the headss.
?Update drivers and firmware.
?Reinstall the Drives.
?Try a different brand medium.
?Since this is a recent phenomenon, does System Restore roll back to when it works ?
Collapse -
Any new software?
by Testy / October 9, 2006 8:06 AM PDT

I had the same problem with my cd- rom and cd-rw. Suddenly they stopped recognizing discs placed into them, after about 8 months of living with the problem I discovered what was causing it by accident. I for some reason had to reformat my hardrive and reinstall Windows. After, the cd-rom and cd-rw were working until I reinstalled the software for my IBM keyboard. I uninstalled the software and they worked again. I never dreamed that this is what was causing it. I'm forced to use the keyboard with the generic drivers, now I can't use any of the special buttons like the volume control. (I guess I should buy another keyboard)

Collapse -
It shouldn't recongnize
by PudgyOne / October 9, 2006 8:09 AM PDT

a blank CD/DVD unless you are inserting it to burn.

Rick

Collapse -
Almost Right
by kwkid / October 9, 2006 9:23 AM PDT

While explorer won't display the contents of the blank CD, because there isn't anything on it, the OS should see that you have inserted a blank and offer the correct dialog box with the choice of making (burning a CD or DVD) using Media Player and possibly other software that burns a CD/DVD that you may have installed.

Collapse -
My XP and Windows 2000 doesn't do that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 9, 2006 9:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Almost Right

But on those machines I don't use the native tools for making CDs and Windows 2000 (natch) doesn't know what a CDRW drive is.

Bob

Collapse -
Cannot recognize blank cd's seems popular
by jackalmarksman / June 20, 2009 4:48 PM PDT

I have done just about everything short of re formating, and I really dont want to do that. I have used diff brands of blank cd's, used diff drives, reset defaults on my burner, tried restore several times, deleted burner and bought a new version, checked drive set up... it seems to me a block is in my system somewhere. I can play cd's np, but blank cd's are not recognized.
If I have to reformat, I seemed to have misplaced the version of xp I got last year and will have to load the version that came with the pc, which is full of unwanted crap and I am not fond of the version, Media center edition.
I am wondering if that is the real problem, that the pc must use the version it came with? If so, I will reluntantly reload that version back. XP is so much friendlier and its the longest run of trouble free windows I ever had, too bad they dropped the ball on this one. Can anyone relate that they have done same..using a diff windows than what came with pc and having this issue? BTW...using the self troubleshooter is of no help on this at all.

Collapse -
After fixing this too many times.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 20, 2009 9:38 PM PDT

Some thousand times by now my short list is.
1. The usual installed software. Remove that, disable XP's builtin recording and delete the upper+lower filters (see discussions!)
2. Swap in a new drive.

Given the near 100% cure rate the only parting comment is that owners are far too reluctant to put in the new drive for a test. They also don't want to remove recording software in fear they can't reinstall.

This behavior fuels the repair shops across the world. Maybe we shouldn't tell them?
Bob

Collapse -
Tried & Tested (CD / DVD rom recognized Blank CD's)
by LEARN_LEC / September 19, 2012 6:35 PM PDT

Hello,..
Just this moment,.I'd been try and test this ....CD/DVD rom for not recognizing blank CD's,..That's it,..after five months of searching,..seeking ,..(but not continuesly),..

My OS's ,.Window XP Professional SP3/32bit,.

I'm going to update first my Windows Media Player by clicking "setup_wm.exe" @ C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\setup_wm.exe,.(Maybe this is unnecessary)

Lets go!!!..

Step 1: Go to "My Computer"
Step 2: Right click the DVD-RAM Drive / CD Drive and click Properties.
Step 3: Choose "Hardware",.Each Disk Drives,.just click once,.its made highlight
Step 4: Click "Properties" side of Troubleshoot button
Step 5: Click "Policies" and Uncheck the button of "Enable write caching on the disk",..Then Hit OK
Step 6: So,.It's returned to "Properties",.Try to visit "Recording"
Step 7: For me,..in two buttons outhere,.i'd check't all,.Then Ok,.to exit,..
,.So,..
just reply if it's working or not to yah,...see ya,..Thanks

Collapse -
CD drive won't recognise blank CDs
by alistairrowe / August 21, 2012 6:00 AM PDT

This must be a Microsoft patch thing - if you go to My computer, and right click on the CD/DVD drive you'll see an option in the drop-down box that appears offering the option to enable drag to disc - click on that and the problem's fixed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?