Question

CD Drive will not recognize CD. It Thinks all CD's are blank

When I insert a CD to play music or a CD that has a program on it, my CD Drive thinks the CD is blank and will not play.
I am running Windows 7 on a HP Pavilion dv6000 laptop.
Any help would be very much appreciated.
Nancy

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: CD Drive will not recognize CD. It Thinks all CD's are blank
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: CD Drive will not recognize CD. It Thinks all CD's are blank
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Re: CD drive

The 2 solutions for a defective drive:
1. Replace the drive
2. Use an external drive
Your choice.

Kees

- Collapse -
CD Drive

Is there nothing I can try to see if the CD drive can be corrected without replacing it or using an external drive? It was working just fine and then suddenly it started doing as I described.

- Collapse -
That's a common thing with hardware failures.

One minute you drive your car, next minute is has a flat tyre.
It was working just fine and suddenly it wasn't.

Kees

- Collapse -
Just like a car,

You can try to put air in that tire (that is, clean the CD/DVD lens) and then try another drive.

It's not funny how this issue has folk asking over and over "is there any other way?"
Bob

- Collapse -
Drive

Does the drive appear in MY COMPUTER as a drive? Does it appear in DEVICE MANAGER? If it does and specifically in DEVICE MANAGER, your drivers may have gone South. If it does show up you may have to do an uninstall/reinstall or get and download the drivers for the device. IF there is a problem with the drive, there is usually an error shown by the drive in device manager, typically a yellow question mark or asterisk. If there is nothing there, then the probability would be that the drive needs to be replaced.

- Collapse -
Answer
Ahhh! a HP Dv6xxx

Verify your bios has the "1st boot device" as CD drive, check that or edit then save upon exit. The best test I know is having a bootable CD or DVD disc mounted in the drive and reboot. If it works, it should boot the bootable disc, if not you know the drive is bad. Also, the DV6000 series prone to "heat stress" so prolonged operation may have dumped on your CD electronics and done it in. Either way, you have to replace if found not to boot. Further, this is a very good sign that the PC is going to last much longer due to same heat stresses. -OR- the electronics that i/f to the drive is hosed. Google away on DV6xxx problems.

If the drive boots or reads the disc, then you may have malware at work here. If the PC recently seems sluggish that's a clue the system is infected or similar. As already stated to you, use an ext. drive and see how that works.

tada -----Willy Happy

CNET Forums