General discussion

CD DRIVE NOT READING CD-R & CD-RW but reading software cd's

My HP cd writer drive is not reading cd-r's and cd-rw's either blank ones or ones that i burnt with either data or music on it. when inserting these cd's, you don't here the cd spinning. i checked these cd's in another pc and they are fine.

However, my cd drive will read software cd's that came with various pc items and it will also read music cd's that i purchased. when inserting these cd's, you hear the cd spinning and it will start automatically.

my OS is windows XP with all updates except for SP2.

any help would be appreciated. i have looked through this site and didn't find what i needed.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: CD DRIVE NOT READING CD-R & CD-RW but reading software cd's
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: CD DRIVE NOT READING CD-R & CD-RW but reading software cd's
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Try...

Thinking about the issue. It doesn't make sense to read a "blank CDR". There is nothing to read.

Moving past that issue which you can expand on later, if you can't read ALL (you didn't tell) CDR and CDRW, it can be that you used DirectCD and that software has failed.

More detail is needed to tell if the hardware failed or your software needs an uninstall and reinstall.

Bob

- Collapse -
more info added

what i meant that its not reading a blank cd-r or cd-rw is that when clicking on properties, it indicates that there is no available memory, that the disk is full.

when trying to burn a cd, either using Windows Explorer, Musicmatch. it asks to insert a recordable cd, but its already there.

when inserting a cd that I burned previously, either a cd-r or rw, when viewing the contents in Windows Explorer, no files are shown. these include music and data. i tried to view the music cd's that i burnt in Musicmatch and Windows Media Player and no files are shown.

my software didn't fail as i can play purchased music cd's in Windows Media Player and Musicmatch and also through Windows Explorer.

- Collapse -
It is a common failure.
- Collapse -
tried autofix

How can the xp's recording fail but i can still open cd software programs and open and listen to purchased music cd's either through windows explorer or any other media program?

i have ran autofix before posting in this forum and it was ok. there was no problems with that.

how do i do no. 2 as you suggested '2. As a temporary workaround, remove the DVD-RW in Device Manager and force a redetect.'

- Collapse -
One is reading, the other is recording.

I can only tell you that recording is much more code and alignment of the stars than reading.

Please tell why you didn't do step 2. I always wonder why safe procedures are not accomplished.

Bob

- Collapse -
cd writer is defective

Bob

i didn't do number 2 as I don't know how to remove the cd-rw device manager and force a redetect. i would have, if i knew.

i was speaking with a tech here in my town today and he told me that he has seen some HP writers act this way, meaning, able to read manufactured cd's but not cd's that were burnt, leading to the cd-writer being on its way out and needing to be replaced. which i will be doing.

thanks for your help.

- Collapse -
Have you seen the Device Manager?

If so, you find the CD/DVD and click once on it then the remove button.

Fairly easy, but I'm unsure what step is being elusive.

Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info