Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

cd door keeps opening and closing- possible W32.jared prob.

by Kings0426 / October 30, 2004 5:11 AM PDT

My cdrom/rw door keeps opening and closing.Im running Windows ME. If I try to put in a cd. The drive will not read it. I believe its due to a virius issue. I have run Norton Anitvirus and found several file infrected with W32.jared virius in the _RESTORE Temp folder but system will not fix or remove. Also I see my system restore filling up with Temp files IE. A0391423.cpy. i believe this is due to the cd rom contining to open and close. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: cd door keeps opening and closing- possible W32.jared prob.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: cd door keeps opening and closing- possible W32.jared prob.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: cd door keeps opening and closing- possible W32.jared pr
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2004 5:34 AM PDT

"My cdrom/rw door keeps opening and closing.Im running Windows ME. If I try to put in a cd. The drive will not read it. I believe its due to a virius issue. I have run Norton Anitvirus and found several file infrected with W32.jared virius in the _RESTORE Temp folder but system will not fix or remove. Also I see my system restore filling up with Temp files IE. A0391423.cpy. i believe this is due to the cd rom contining to open and close. PLEASE HELP!!!!"

1. I bet it still has a virus/trojan/pest/parasite/other infection. Try the usual tools of Adaware, Spybot, Cwshredder and Housecall. Most current links at http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

2. To clean the _Restore directory, turn off System Restore and run the antivirus scan and then turn it back on. As how to do this is in Start, Help and Support, I will not duplicate that instruction here.

3. The .CPY files was a noted issue with Norton Systemworks. A fix was never supplied by Symantec. I usually uninstall Windoctor.

Best of luck in recovery,

bob

Collapse -
by Kings0426 / October 30, 2004 8:52 AM PDT

I tried running ALL the anti-virius and ad/spam program listed in your e-mail. The program is still occuring. The cd door continues to open and close. Again I run this program in SAFE MODE ,but was unable to remove or fix the files it found that were infected. HELP!!

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2004 8:56 AM PDT

" I tried running ALL the anti-virius and ad/spam program listed in your e-mail. The program is still occuring. The cd door continues to open and close. Again I run this program in SAFE MODE ,but was unable to remove or fix the files it found that were infected. HELP!! "

You can't remove the files in C:\_Restore. This is why I wrote to disable the System Restore. If you don't, then the files stay.

Hope that is clearer to you.

As to the CDRW door opening and closing, that is either a trojan/other still installed or the drive has failed.

Bob

Collapse -
by Kings0426 / October 30, 2004 9:01 AM PDT

I think i did disable the restore program. when i boot it keeps asking me if i want to reactivite the restore program. My Norton anti virius seems to find the infected files but cant fix or remove them...

Collapse -
Tell how then.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2004 9:09 AM PDT

You'll have to reveal how you disabled System Restore. Your responses are not in a positive outlook. You write you "try". But we must be sure since the pest will live on until you KNOW you did it proper.

When I turned off SR, it never asked me to turn it back on.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Tell how then.
by Kings0426 / October 30, 2004 9:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Tell how then.

I think i only disable a program called GoBack by adaptec. not the sctual system restore in windows. I looked on the Help and support page on how to turn-off system restore but all I see is how to use. Can you tell me where specifically the information is on that page??

Collapse -
You didn't tell you had goback!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2004 9:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Tell how then.
Collapse -
Re: You didn't tell you had goback!
by Kings0426 / October 30, 2004 9:29 AM PDT

ok i think i found it. using system properties. performance tab,then troubleshooting tab and then checked the disable system restore line. I will try to run my antivirius again in safe mode and see if it will acutally fix the files. anything else should I try??

Collapse -
" I will try to run my antivirius again "
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2004 9:50 AM PDT

Be sure to use a web based scan like HOUSECALL (find with google.com) since when a virus/trojan/other invades a system, the install AV can be corrupted.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?