Speakeasy forum

General discussion

CD Copying and Intel CPUs with DRM built into them.

An article of light reading that got me thinking about all this.

Teens don't think CD copying is a crime
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/08/19/0342256

And on a related note look at this

Intel adds DRM to its new CPUs
http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/05/28/1718200

That is quite alarming for people that might have tons of legally downloaded
or ripped stuff that under "fair use laws" they are entitled to keep. What about
folks that have purchased a CD and copied it to their hard drive to listen to at
their convenience?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CD Copying and Intel CPUs with DRM built into them.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CD Copying and Intel CPUs with DRM built into them.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"slightly" tongue in cheek

In reply to: CD Copying and Intel CPUs with DRM built into them.

from the slashdot article it seems that the more illegal copies there are, the less illegal copies there will be?

Wink

Collapse -
Heh. Funny

In reply to: "slightly" tongue in cheek

I noticed that line in the article...

But all this talk of DRM being built into hardware
and possibly even motherboards as well as CPUs makes
me wonder if we could ever slide down a slippery slope
to a future where what we see or hear or read is
somehow controlled by people outside of our homes....

Collapse -
Already is

In reply to: Heh. Funny

What you see and hear for news is already controlled by those who let you only see and hear what they want you to, or with their particular bias added into it.

Collapse -
One more reason why AMD has been and will

continue to gain on Intel...

Collapse -
Oh, and as for the "playground piracy"

In reply to: One more reason why AMD has been and will

I can't wait until the MPAA or RIAA begins sending undercover agents to Thomas Jefferson Elementary or Iroquois Middle School to catch these "thieves" in the act.
Or, maybe they'll just buy off the education industry into including digital piracy into their technology courses.

Collapse -
DRM built into hardware already been done long ago...

When stand alone Home audio CD burners built for home stereo use came out, they had a DRM feature built into them....

They would only burn onto blank CD's that came with the ''for audio CD recording'' certification. The blank disc came with a code embedded into them that the recorder would read before burning. The certification was a garantee that each blank disc had a tarriff fee that ensured a payment to the RIAA was made. A lot of folks thought the disc was special or of better quality because it cost more money but it simply cost more due to the fee. Also, part of the DRM feature was that the recorder would not make a copy of a home burned CD... consequently you always had to have the original commercially produced CD to make a back up.

There are 2 common facets of human nature at battle here... the urge to charge as much as you can for a product versus the urge to pay as little as you can. Wink

On a side not... I was walking through Walmart the other day and the public address system broke from the music to give a friendly reminder that the common home burnt CD and DVD only had an informational shelf life of 6 years after they had been recorded on. The real message of the announcement was that you needed to buy more blank CDs and DVDs. Now I could swear that several courses and informational articles on CNET have said that a home burnt CD will last a lifetime and more if properly stored. If so, then isn't this announcement some sort of misleading advertising gimmick?

grim

Collapse -
Perhaps like human life expectancy

In reply to: DRM built into hardware already been done long ago...

this number includes accidents and cases where the CD's aren't properly stored?

Collapse -
Maybe Walmart has ...

... bought into the conspiracy theories of those that most vociferously oppose ANY (and I'm NOT saying that all are justified, but some are) copy protections. You can find rants on websites about how "they don't tell you it will only last 10 years" -- sometimes I've seen 15 years -- and go through a whole spiel about the plastic yellowing, etc.

Collapse -
Do you also get venereal disease from home burned discs?

In reply to: Maybe Walmart has ...

Devil
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What?????

In reply to: Do you also get venereal disease from home burned discs?

Collapse -
An attempt at a joke.

In reply to: (NT) What?????

The talk about yellowing plastic, etc. reminded me of stories that were sometimes told to kids at school.

Collapse -
OK, thanks :-)

In reply to: An attempt at a joke.

Didn't really see how you got from CD's to VD I guess Grin

I've just recently gone through my entire CD collection. Some are well used and about 15 years old. Amazingly they all seem to play just fine. The ones that are carefully stored in their cases in the racks look like the day I first opened them. To listen to some of the conspiracies about the technology, I would have expected them to be about to turn to dust by now Wink

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Yes, I have CDs which I burned with photos on them probably

In reply to: OK, thanks :-)

10 years ago. I haven't checked them recently, but I'm confident that they are still just fine. One key is good discs. Commercial products are made differently and will last a very long time. Discs burned at home? If the disc price was $.29, I would be concerned.

Collapse -
But why go down this path?

I know about those but the solution was to buy
"no brand" blank CDs which didn't have the code..

What I am wondering about is why Intel has chosen
to go down this path? What next? Will makers of
motherboards also try this?

Why is this happening now?

I suspect AMD will eventually do the same.

Collapse -
Six years ago...

Collapse -
Yes I know

In reply to: Six years ago...

I know about the Intel Processor ID

But that's not something that can halt the
execution of a music file or a video from
running. It's just a processsor ID that
an OS or motherboard can use to identify
the processor chip..

Collapse -
Yes it was used to do that.

In reply to: Yes I know

But it was only for the Windows application that will remain nameless. Today's new item is again tied to Windows from what we read. So in the most basic terms if you ran linux on said system it should work just fine.

Bob

Collapse -
One reaason why I've used AMD ever since...

was because of the built in ID of the P-III. I've been a big fan of the Athlon since it came out and my newest PC from last fall does everything I could ask for and more.

Still, I have become a mac convert in the past 2 years and the use of Intel chips in their new machines is troubling to me. I have yet to do much research on the new macs (it will be a while before I need a new one) so I wonder if their chips are different from the ICCs meant for the PC market?

grim

Collapse -
In short, no.

In reply to: One reaason why I've used AMD ever since...

You don't think they would fab a chip just for the Mac market do you?

Collapse -
Yes.

In reply to: In short, no.

The AMD based Apples are rumored to be in the Apple server line. Time will tell.

But I see Apple to being a lot smarter on CPU choices now. They know if they pick some CPU that Intel will make millions of, they'll get the great price and more.

With loadable microcode one could tweak the CPU without actually changing the silicon. Is that a custom Job?

Bob

Collapse -
If you aren't changing the silicon, then you aren't fabbing

In reply to: Yes.

a new chip. So, again, Intel will not fab a new chip for Apple unless Apple sells a LOT more than it does today.

Collapse -
Yes, they would.

In reply to: In short, no.

I don't think they have, but yes, I believe if Apple wanted a small difference the market is big enough that Intel would be willing to do so. Until recently all Macs ran CPU chips by Motorola, not Intel or AMD.

Collapse -
MAC

Yes, but if you run a router that allows MAC spoofing the unique identifier in the LAN card is basically worthless to anyone outside your network. Supposedly cable internet suppliers must have your registered MAC so you can be allowed on their system, but I've tested this with Comcast and it's just not true. At the best you can be on their system and be a day or up to a week before they catch the unregistered MAC entered and block it. A quick change of MAC and you are back up again. I have valid cable internet service, but do chance the MAC just for privacy reasons once or twice a week.

Collapse -
BUT WHY GO DOWN THIS PATH...... WHY DRM????

What I am wondering about is why Intel has chosen
to go down this path? What next? Will makers of
motherboards also try this?

Why is this happening now?

Did Intel get strong armed by the content providers
and if so how is it that they can weild this much
power?

I suspect AMD will eventually do the same.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!