Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

CD Burning

by Selwyn / June 20, 2004 3:08 PM PDT

Necessary Specifications:
Drive: Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-104
I'm using CD-Rs, not CD-RWs.

I need some help with burning files onto CD. Whenever I use the built-in Windows XP burner with an empty CD, it says it's not empty and it can't burn any files. When I use Veritas RecordNow, it says there's no CD inserted, and when I use Nero, it says something about "multi-session" and asks if I want to continue. After I say to continue, it never finishes burning and screws up the CD. I believe this problem may be caused because a couple days ago, I used Nero to burn files onto a CD, and then used the built-in XP burner to add another file. I've heard there could be compatibility issues with using multiple burners. Can anyone help me get the burner to work? It's really driving me crazy. Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CD Burning
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CD Burning
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: CD Burning
by Papa Echo / June 20, 2004 7:56 PM PDT
In reply to: CD Burning

Uninstall the Veritas burning program (and all things which came with it) and try using Nero to burn the CD. BTW, which program came with your Pioneer ? Is the other program supported by the Pioneer burner ? Which version of Nero and Veritas ?

Collapse -
by glb613 / June 20, 2004 8:11 PM PDT

If uninstalling the software doesn't work, try doing a system restore to a day before you performed that task and see if it fixes the problem.

Collapse -
by Selwyn / June 21, 2004 2:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: CD Burning

The Veritas RecordNow is the one that came with the Pioneer and the computer, so I assume that's the one I should use, but do you think Nero is a better one to use? My Nero version is Nero Burning Rom 6.3.1.15 (the latest version). My Veritas RecordNow version is 4.60. I'd rather use Veritas RecordNow than Nero, because I only have the trial version of Nero, where as I have the full version of Veritas RecordNow (since it came with my computer). Should I try reinstalling Veritas RecordNow and uninstalling Nero? (I don't want to uninstall Veritas because I have the full version of it). Thanks in advance.

Collapse -
Re: I Just Noticed Two More Things
by Selwyn / June 21, 2004 2:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: CD Burning

I just noticed some more things:
1. I looked on the Nero site and found a list of supported drives. My drive was not on it.
2. If I want to completely uninstall Nero, I can run a special cleaning tool that'll remove it completely from my system (taking out registry values, plugins, etc.). I'll try this and see what happens.

Collapse -
Re: One More Thing
by Selwyn / June 21, 2004 3:10 AM PDT

First, the Nero complete clean-up thing didn't work. Second, I forgot to mention that usually the Windows XP built-in burner doensn't even work. Usually, when I try to copy a file to the drive, it doesn't display the option to "write these files to CD" like it used to, and when I try to copy a file to the drive, it says (and this is the exact error message): "Windows encountered a problem when trying to copy this file. What do you want Windows to do?" Then I have the option to retry or cancel. Retry always fails.

Collapse -
Re: It Almost Worked, but...
by Selwyn / June 21, 2004 5:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: One More Thing

I repaired the Veritas RecordNow installation, updated it, and tried it with a new disc. This time, it worked, wrote the files, verified them and everything. However, when I went to them in the drive window, it didn't show any files. It said that space was taken up, but there were no visible files in the window. Any help?

Collapse -
Re: Tried on Another Computer and...
by Selwyn / June 21, 2004 6:16 AM PDT

I tried putting the CD in another computer and the CD was readable. It just doesn't work on this computer. Any ideas?

P.S. Sorry for so many posts, but I work faster than I talk :P.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Keep talking... you are making progress ;)
by glenn30 / June 21, 2004 7:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: One More Thing
by Brandon Eng / June 21, 2004 7:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: One More Thing

Could be the built in XP burning program is set to Manual, and you have to restart the service. But see my post below.

Collapse -
Re: CD Burning- try disabling XP's built in burning program
by Brandon Eng / June 21, 2004 7:48 AM PDT

At the Start Button at the bottom left of your Desktop, Go to Run and when it opens copy and paste or just type in

%SystemRoot%\system32\services.msc /s

Then press OK.

Scroll down to "IMAPI CD-Burning Com Service" and double click on it.

When it opens Select Disabled then select OK and close the Service Window and then reboot your Computer.

I always turn off the XP burning program. Could be a conflict with the 3rd party burning programs I use; could be the same for you. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Re: It Works!
by Selwyn / June 21, 2004 3:00 PM PDT

Thank you so much everyone! It works now (silly Microsoft with their incompatible burners :P). And I can read the CD too! Yipee!

Collapse -
Re: It Works!
by Papa Echo / June 21, 2004 6:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: It Works!

Gongradulations ! However, do not be too quick to blame Mirosoft. The problem is not yet really solved. That could still be with the Pionner drive. Have you updated the drivers and firmware for it ?

Collapse -
Re: Firmware
by Selwyn / June 22, 2004 3:03 AM PDT

Hmm... I tried running the Firmware and after I clicked Install, it started but then went to a DOS window that and gave me an error message that said Target Not Found.
Here's the link to the Firmware page describing what it fixed, etc.:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/hs/pioneer.html
Could the drive have already come with Firmware installed? For installation, I used the default patch of C:\DVRA04\FW141. Do I ned to change it to E:\DVRA04\FW141 (the drive in question is the E drive)?

Collapse -
by Selwyn / June 22, 2004 3:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Firmware

Pardon me, the error message was Available Target Not Found, in case that makes a difference.

Collapse -
by Cetin Denislam / June 22, 2004 4:15 AM PDT

>> Could the drive have already come with Firmware installed? <<

Of course that the drive has firmware. You're trying to update its version. In order to check its existing version, click this update page and download the Firmware Checker Utility. You have also a pdf document for instructions.

>> For installation, I used the default patch of C:\DVRA04\FW141. Do I ned to change it to E:\DVRA04\FW141 (the drive in question is the E drive)? <<

Nope, the default should be fine. After the file's extraction the update should automatically start.The error message you're seeing could be that it doesn't find your DVD drive. Why ? Maybe you have so called OEM drive, included in a brand name PC. If this is the case, follow the links shown on the update page.,

The point here is that you should identify your firmware version, drive type and proceed accordingly.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
by Selwyn / June 22, 2004 4:42 AM PDT

I checked with the utility, and it determined that yes, this is an OEM drive, and it's up-to-date. I checked on Sony's site (this computer is a Sony VAIO) and the model wasn't listed as having a problem with the high-speed media problem, so I don't need to update.

Question for Papa Echo: why isn't the problem solved? It seems to work fine, and it's all updated. It's just that the Windows XP built-in burner won't work correctly, but I fixed the problem, right?

Collapse -
Re: Question for Papa Echo
by Papa Echo / June 22, 2004 12:15 PM PDT
Question for Papa Echo: why isn't the problem solved? It seems to work fine, and it's all updated. It's just that the Windows XP built-in burner won't work correctly, but I fixed the problem, right?

Pardon me, Selwyn. You did great ! You fixed the problem and made it work for you, but not actually "solving" it. IMHO, the question of Windows XP built-in burning program not working is still there. Why is it not working ? Overcome or find out reasons for that, and I considered the problem solved:- Can it be made to work under your circumstances ? Well, I may be a bit too enthusiastic, but that's the way to learn...
Collapse -
Re: Question for Papa Echo
by Selwyn / June 22, 2004 12:20 PM PDT

Ok. I think it'll work correctly, but maybe not. In any case, I don't think it will interfere with Veritas RecordNow, and that's the most important thing.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.