Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

CD burning

by Contemptor / May 29, 2004 1:32 AM PDT

I am unable to burn CDs well. Most the time it fails. It will be a power calibration error. I have had this occur before, and it was fixed, but I forgot how. I don't think its the blank cds. When I insert a blank cd, it won't recognize it most the time, and I will have to take it out and in many times before it reads it. If it does, most of the time gives power calibration error. Any ideas?

PS- I use Nero, its not neros fault.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CD burning
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CD burning
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:CD burning
by Kees Bakker / May 29, 2004 1:47 AM PDT
In reply to: CD burning
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2004 1:47 AM PDT

I try a CD Lens Cleaner, another brand of CDR and then try another drive. You can also try to uninstall and reinstall the CD software as well as reducing the record speed, but it's a bad sign the drive is having difficult indicating the blank CDR.

Last rites also include updating the FLASH in the CDRW drive, but not all units have such.

Best of luck.

Collapse -
Re:Re:CD burning
by Contemptor / May 29, 2004 2:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:CD burning

Sorry, forgot to say this, but I'm 99.99 percent sure that its due to windows, and not the hardware by the way. I've had this problem a few times. When I reinstalled windows, it fixed it. I really can't afford to reinstall it again though due to programs I can't risk having messed up.

Collapse -
Then use System Restore to when it worked.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2004 2:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:Re:CD burning

Best of luck,

And the other solutions are supplied. Work the list.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Then use System Restore to when it worked.
by Contemptor / May 29, 2004 11:29 AM PDT

Weird, I've posted twice and its not showing up.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Then use System Restore to when it worked.
by Contemptor / May 29, 2004 11:30 AM PDT

I never made a system restore point. I tried all the reccomendations. I know once it fixed it when i reinstalled windows, so it must be related to windows somehow. I think it might be the registry, but not sure, but would have no idea how to check that. I ran norton utilities windoctor and no luck.

Collapse -
by gravyz / May 29, 2004 2:51 PM PDT

This happened to me also. If you have a Nero CDROM u can reformat the drive. Instructions are in Nero's help guide

Collapse -
Re:Re:CD burning
by Contemptor / May 29, 2004 9:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:CD burning

Theres a couple programs I can't back up, and I really can't afford to lose atm.

Collapse -
Just asking.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2004 10:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:Re:CD burning

Did you really perform all the steps I detailed?

I ask because many can't believe these 10 to 20 dollar drives will fail. And yes, there can be a software issue, but I noted what to try. On your part, you noted you tried them all, so I have to take your word that a new drive didn't fix it.

---> Let's tackle that software issue.

Here's why. Hard drives are temporary storage. One wrong move, a lightning bolt, THEFT or even "tomorrow" and what's on that drive will be gone.

What can the forum do to help you get these programs backed up or replaced. If the program was pirated, please don't ask for help on that. I find that the best way for a pirate to learn their lesson is hwo much support they get.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Just asking.
by Contemptor / May 30, 2004 12:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Just asking.

I did all except buying a new drive. Just something in thte software is screwing it up. But... I bought some more cds for trial 3, a different type of cds. However, I deleted some old programs and spyware, and apparently when I uninstalled a cd writing program, it took some files away I need. When i try to open Norton, it says I'm missing wnaspi32.dll, so I can only use image recorders (and that the file is a windows file, and I need to fix the problem and restart nero). I downloaded it that, and it said aspii error. any ideas?

PS- Man, try to fix one thing and I break another! Sad

Collapse -
The ACID test. This is what I do when I need to test a CDRW.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 31, 2004 12:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:Just asking.

Bear in mind we only do this to placate the users. At the shop we can't test a CDRW without incurring more service charges so we may occasionally replace a good drive. But the bottom line is that putting in a new drive costs less in a service shop than troubleshooting a 20 buck drive.

Here's the ACID test. Boot up Knoppix and use K3b to record a CD.

http://tips.oncomputers.info/archives2004/0401/2004-Jan-11.htm notes some positives to have this around.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?