PC Hardware forum

General discussion

CD burner won't. . .

by Coryphaeus / February 16, 2004 10:30 AM PST

Win XP Home, 528 Meg RAM, AMD 2400+ processor, Sony DVD-ROM, Sony burner that won't work.

My Sony 52-24-52 CD burner (Purchased in November) was working. I could use XP burning utility or NTI CD burner, both worked. Last Monday it quit. It was recognized in Device Manager and Explorer. It would not read or write. I swapped controller plugs, no help. Installed an older HP drive and it worked. Called Sony last Monday, explained the problem. They sent me a new 52-32-52 drive, got it today.

Powered up after install, Windows installed new device, rebooted. Now the new drive will read, but not write. Recognized all over the system, but no write with either XP or NTI. NTI says "Unknown error", XP says the process failed. Tried different burning speeds, and tried both CDRW and CDR media. The same media used before the first drive failed. Swapped controller plugs (DVD to CDRW and back), no joy. Changed from CS to master/slave, no joy.

I cannot believe both drives have failed. Is there something in XP that would prevent burning?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CD burner won't. . .
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CD burner won't. . .
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:CD burner won't. . .
by JMarchi / February 16, 2004 10:47 AM PST
In reply to: CD burner won't. . .

Try installing and running AdAware from www.lavasoftusa.com and see if that may help. Sometimes you find people have installed something that conflicts with existing software, removing the newly installed software, or cleaning up with the system with something like AdAware can fix it.

If that doesn't work you can try rolling back the system with the system restore utility found in Accessories/System tools, you would have to roll back to when it worked, but that may fix it if removing software and running adaware doesn't do it.

Collapse -
Hey Jef. . .
by Coryphaeus / February 16, 2004 11:13 AM PST

AdAware and other spyware removal software is already running. No intrusions.

The only thing I did was install some photo software that came with my new Sony digital camera, but I didn't like it so I uninstalled it. As I reflect, the drive stopped working after it was installed/uninstalled.

I've hesitated to run restore, but I guess that's my next move. I did run sfc /scannow and that didn't help.

I'll see what happens.

Collapse -
You can do the KNOPPIX test.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2004 11:43 AM PST

Since you have the DVD drive, make the KNOPPIX CD noted at http://tips.oncomputers.info/archives2004/0401/2004-Jan-11.htm to boot up KNOPPIX from the DVD drive and use K3b to test burn some CDRW disk.

This is my secret weapon to see if it's the chips or the salsa.

Be very aware that XP may know nothing about a new CDRW drive and how to talk to it to write. Same story about WHAT? CDRW software you have.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:You can do the KNOPPIX test.
by Coryphaeus / February 16, 2004 6:01 PM PST

Didn't think about Knoppix, I have the CD. But the restore fixed it.

Ok, o' wise one, where was the problem? I checked everything and couldn't find where the burn function was disabled.

Collapse -
Re:Re:You can do the KNOPPIX test.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2004 10:05 PM PST

The change vanished with the System Restore.

If you want to find it, here's the procedure.

1. Export the registry (most likely area where the issue is.)
2. Break it or unbreak with System Restore.
3. Export the registry again to another file.
4. Fix the machine.

Now pour over the registry for what's different. Some of us will have "diff" tools on some linux box to help with this step.

Loads of fun. Much like a room of Microsoft programmers.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:CD burner won't. . .
by Livewire / February 22, 2004 1:23 PM PST

Go to windows updates to see if there is a patch for your problem. Dave

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!