Computer Help forum

General discussion

"cd boot: couldn't find nltdr" - ultraISO

by hanselthecaretaker / April 25, 2008 10:49 AM PDT

I'm trying to make a boot cd of Windows XP Professional because the cd it's currently on isn't bootable, and the PC I'm going to install on isn't loading the current OS so I want to format/overwrite with this version.
I followed the instructions here-
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=356

and got the error in the nltdr error when trying to boot from the disc.

I don't see what I could have done wrong. I tried two different XP images
Could the problem be a conflicting label? It doesn't say specifically what you're supposed to enter. For example if I had an OEM copy of XP SP2 would I enter "VRMHVOL_EN" in both the "enter volume"/"enter volume set ID" fields or something else? Or does it not matter what is entered?

The other thing is when you open your cd image file, and drag it to the image window in UltraISO, does it matter if it's simply the one .iso file or do you have to see the contents of it in the window (ie. I386, AUTORUN.INF, SETUP.EXE, etc.)?

Also I checked the contents of the folder and there is indeed an nltdr file in there, so why would it be telling me it couldn't find it?

I never though making a boot cd would be so difficult.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "cd boot: couldn't find nltdr" - ultraISO
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "cd boot: couldn't find nltdr" - ultraISO
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Looks like a dead end to me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2008 9:53 PM PDT

"make a boot cd of Windows XP Professional"

My CD (from Microsoft) is bootable. All my 'from Microsoft' XP CDs boot. If I need another I just duplicate them.

Your approach is flawed so why not just order a replacement CD from those that have them?
Bob

Collapse -
nlite
by hanselthecaretaker / April 26, 2008 2:52 AM PDT

I was able to make a bootable ISO with nlite copying over the XP Prof. contents because there was no boot file on the disc (which was burned). I tried in both the pc I'm fixing and my own; it only worked when Windows was already loaded. Anyway deleted the old partitions and formatted the drive but it stalled at 4% then went to 100% and later said "Windows could not format the drive, the disc may be damaged, check for loose cables, etc." So it looks like it'll need a new HDD anyway. Unless there's a program that can repair damaged sectors.

Collapse -
Very odd. Why would I need NLITE?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 26, 2008 4:27 AM PDT
In reply to: nlite

I see no need for this since it only adds to the support headaches. With nlite you "off the reservation" with no one to ask for support.

-> Let's just use the original Microsoft CD and get it done.
Bob

Collapse -
"there was no boot file on the disc"
by hanselthecaretaker / April 26, 2008 4:44 AM PDT

The XP Professional disc, which was burned, does not boot. In my computer or the one I'm fixing. My other official XP discs (Dell, OEM, etc.) boot just fine. This tells me the burned XP Professional disc isn't bootable, which is why I used nlite to create a bootable ISO for the contents since UltraISO was too confusing and didn't work.
If you're wondering why I didn't just use an official disc it's because they're both only good for a single PC install/activation.

I have no idea why it's so difficult to create a bootable disc with UltraISO.

Collapse -
Replacement cd
by hanselthecaretaker / April 26, 2008 8:04 AM PDT
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-4_102-0.html?forumID=44&threadID=292684&messageID=2759886#2759886
(last reply didn't load)

Will Microsoft send a replacement cd to match the product key off the back of the system if I call them or does the vendor (Sony) send them, regardless of warranty status? If they need more info I'll just have the pc's owner contact them.

Thanks. I suppose getting a replacement cd should be no more of a hassle than the way I'm going about it now, haha.
Collapse -
In this case the vendor.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 26, 2008 10:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Replacement cd

There are no product keys on the the CDs. I'm going to decline why this is so, but there is none.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?