Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

CCSVCHST

by senile01 / August 30, 2008 3:09 AM PDT

Please see above . Sorry about caps - never done this before - my CCSVCHST.EXE'S are all caps . System dell demension 3000, 2gb ram

I did check google before and saw that ccsvchst.exe was norton but most entries were lower case or only part upper case . Nothing if should have one, two, ten showing up.

They did have a caps ccsvchst.exe entry but mostly downing norton and I couldnt understand the rest.

Just want to know is 2 in total upper case ok or do I need to try to figure out how to track down where on system they and verify legit.

Thanks- again sorry about before .

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CCSVCHST
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CCSVCHST
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
2 options
by shivscape / August 30, 2008 7:01 AM PDT
In reply to: CCSVCHST

the answer is that it is PROBABLY legit and working fine (unless you notice a serious lack of PC preformance.)

however, if you have got a pirated version of norton then please uninstall it immediately as it is most likely malware

Collapse -
The McAfee Search DID Turn Up...
by tobeach / August 30, 2008 5:44 PM PDT

a finding, although Symantec Search did NOT.

http://search.mcafee.com/search?q=CCSVCHST.EXE&getfields=description&site=us_site.AllTopics&type=enterprise&origin=us&output=xml_no_dtd&proxystylesheet=default_frontend_us&client=default_frontend_us

Basically from 2 worms discovered in June & Aug of 2007.
w32/autorun.worm.n & w32/autorun.worm.e & 2 others that seem less likely. Part of the problem is that various protectors assign their own name to the bugs making it harder to search for under aliases.

They seem to disable various Windows security components including ability to find hidden files.

Basically the worm activates when certain exe's are called up.
The legit Norton one is on the list of activators along w/ AVG's & many more. Main purpose seems to be to open doors to download more trouble. You don't mention such symptoms so I'm a little suspicious of the results.

The findings do list various registry entries added. One could search for these manually to confirm which one(s) are on machine.
The page does not really give manual removal instructions just in effect says: You should have had McAfee AV!!

Trendmicro search showed up to 87 possible matches:
http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default2.asp?m=q&virus=CCSVCHST%2EEXE&alt=CCSVCHST%2EEXEmore.

If your machine is XP SP2, you could try an online scan (by trend micro):
http://www.trendsecure.com/free_security_tools/housecall_free_scan.php#

Once you get to the site & are ready to allow download of scanner & definitions, you MIGHT have to disable Nortons auto-protect feature IF it attempts to block download & scanning (years ago this was a problem may not be now?).
Hope this helps. Happy

Collapse -
right
by shivscape / August 30, 2008 8:44 PM PDT

do what was mentioned before and run the scan in safe mode too with norton turned off.

Also, consider not using norton and using a free av such as avira antivir/ a paid one like ESET nod32

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?