Desktops forum

General discussion

CCPROXY.EXE

by D Gage / July 16, 2006 2:30 AM PDT

I have a low end Toshiba Satelite laptop with a 60gb hard drive a 1.6 GHz cpu with 1.37 gb ram.

Now the problem I am having is that every now and then the program ccproxy.exe which is part of Nortons Secutity will start running wild and use up 100% of my systems resourses. Short of reformating and reinstalling everything is there anyway of fixing this? I do understand that it is part of the parental control section but I do have that turned off so it shouldn't even be running should it?

I am looking forward to any help available

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CCPROXY.EXE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CCPROXY.EXE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by kominkochin / July 16, 2006 3:01 AM PDT
In reply to: CCPROXY.EXE

hello!
as far as i know CCPROXY.EXE is the main application file for the proxy server software with the same name (www.youngzsoft.net/ccproxy/) and not part of Norton Internet Security...
...talking about system resources going low...try uninstall it if you are not using it or reinstall the program and see if it'll go right, in case you are using this proxy server software.
good luck!

Collapse -
a little info
by joh9356 / September 24, 2006 10:29 PM PDT
In reply to: CCPROXY.EXE

Just to give a little info on this file. I have been in correspondence back and forth with Symantec about this issue. It would be extremely hard to be leive that they would not be aware of it seeing how many forums are out there discussing it's problems with processor and memory utilization, being that it is so high.

For example. I run NIS 2006 on both my laptop and my home desktop. CCProxy.exe on my laptop sometimes tops 800MB of memory usage, obviously unacceptable.

The only asnwer I have received from Symantec was to follow their "general guidlines" to troubleshooting this problem. In other words, a cheap attempt to answer an unknown solution on their side at this point.

Yes, CCProxy.exe is the parental control function of the equivalent of a web-filter in most environments. It is the executable that loads and adheres to the Parental control site list that it loads everytime you open your internet browser.

So what am I saying about all this?

1) Symantec obviously is aware that this is an issue with many computers having their processor and memory utilizations being too high
2) They are probably working on it, but as of yet have no solution for it.
3) If you want to avoid this problem, uninstall the parental control function of NIS 2006. You may have to completely uninstall NIS 2006 and reinstall it, to do it. There is a point during the installation process that will ask you if you install the Parental Control part of it, just don't select it. I find it very suspiciaous and/or coincidental that this specific option is the only customizable feature that is so blatant during installation that allows you to choose whether or not to install. Maybe because Symantec knows/has known it is an issue?

I'll let you be the judge.

Hope this helps clear things up, and didn't create more questions...

Jim

Collapse -
thankyou
by D Gage / September 27, 2006 8:55 AM PDT
In reply to: a little info

Thankyou for you advice. I have twice uninstalled (once reformating my entire drive and starting all over) and both times did not install parental controls ( went to the customized intallation) and it still loads up the CCPROXY.ex file. I am very please with every other asspect of Nortons so will keep it as The problem is not a constant one. If you do hear more about this could you please let me know?

Thankyou

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.