Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

CCleaner input needed

After following various threads involving the use of CCleaner I downloaded it but have yet to use it. I do not remember where but I did see one post I think from Marianna re: uncheck certain boxes that come checked by default to avoid creating new "issues"!

Before using this program I really would like some input regarding what all I should uncheck to start with until I become more familiar with such issues. I think the reg. scan was one for example, especially as im not yet comfortable in dealing with registry issues.

A somewhat comprehensive list of just what to uncheck would be really helpful. I prefer to err on the side of caution when using new programs and take on one item at a time to sort of "get aquainted"!

Thanks in advance,
Ken

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CCleaner input needed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CCleaner input needed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ken, this is probably the

In reply to: CCleaner input needed

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) roddy thats the post & U R right! Thanks!

In reply to: Ken, this is probably the

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome Ken

In reply to: (NT) roddy thats the post & U R right! Thanks!

Collapse -
Ken, this may be a personal choice...

In reply to: CCleaner input needed

but I have every item checked under the ''Issues'' tab. Just downloaded a newer version and to the best of my memory that was the original settings.

CCleaner has worked well for me for some time. There may be some few items in the other tabs that you prefer not to clean. Just think about them and their function... if some little thing is removed it will return in time with usage. Also CCleaner has a backup feature... I always use it but never had to restore any cleaning.

Best of luck... think you will like CCleaner. Grin

Glenn

Collapse -
Re: personal choice from: Glen

In reply to: Ken, this may be a personal choice...

Yes thats pretty much what I figured! Thanks!

Think I will snoop around and head back here with a couple more questions before I run CCleaner.

FYI Roddy if you see this..
The newest version of CCleaner comes default to just about all items/issues checked shy of custom settings.

Ken

Collapse -
Even the registry issues? Personally, I

In reply to: Re: personal choice from: Glen

keep nothing checked on that tab. I don't like to delete anything out of the registry BUT occasionally, I DO put a checkmark on there and I run it but I rarely delete anything unless I know for sure that I don't need it. Then I take the check marks back out of that tab but that is my personal choice. I use CCleaner for cleaning all the temp files, cookies, (except and have a bunch that I keep). This is what I have checked.

Windows tab

Everything under Internet Explorer except for ''autocomplete form history''

Windows Explorer I have everything checked

System, I have everything checked

advanced, I have nothing checked at all but I do check it occasionally

applications tab

I have everything checked except for Java and Flash. I have settings for flash that I don't want changed and I have a different way of clearing cache in that. On the java, I don't want the installer and engine deleted from housecall because I am on dialup so I have that unchecked so all housecall has to do when I run it is update and it takes less time. I go into the java control panel and manually delete everything else once a week or so.

issues tab

I have nothing checked but I do check it occasionally and manually go through the list.

Like I said these are neither right or wrong, they are my personal choices for one reason or another.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.