Speakeasy forum

General discussion

CBS "News" strikes again!

by Paul C / September 29, 2004 11:14 PM PDT

Apparently, TPTB at that network don't realize that after the "memos" fiasco, everything they put on the air is subject to questioning.

Last night, The CBS Evening News ran this piece on reinstating the draft. From the transcript of the story:

Beverly Cocco has spent most of her life protecting children in Philadelphia.

She spends most of her time worrying about other people's kids. But as Election Day approaches, it's her own two grown sons who Beverly is most worried about.

"I go to bed every night and I pray and I actually get sick to my stomach," she says. "I'm very worried; I'm scared. I'm absolutely scared; I'm petrified."

Beverly is petrified about a military draft ? and she's not alone. There's an undercurrent of anxiety; mass e-mails are circulating among parents worried their kids could be called up.

As has been discussed elsewhere on this forum, the only proposals to reinstate conscription to date have come from Democrats; no one in the Administration has even vaguely suggested such a move. Here's the truth: The emails that the story references are, at best, misleading - in fact, they are almost certainly, IMO, deliberate disinformation:

We can't say whether this one is deliberate misinformation or just sloppy reporting, but it sure is generating a lot of needless anxiety. It amounts to another "lying e-mail" of the kind we've warned about before (check the links to "related articles" at the end of this one.)

The bills are not being pushed. It's quite true that the two bills mentioned would require both men and women aged 18 through 25 to perform a two-year period of "national service," which incidentally could be either military or non-military service. But the bills are sponsored only by Democrats, and there's not the slightest evidence that the Bush administration is pushing for them, quietly or otherwise.

One bill is HR 163 , whose principal sponsor is Democratic Rep. Charles Rangel of New York. It has 14 co-sponsors, all of them Democrats in a Congress controlled by Republicans. The bill was dead on arrival: it sits in a House subcommittee with no hearings or votes scheduled and no action expected.

In fact, Rangel told FactCheck.org through his spokesman Emile Milne that even he isn't pushing for passage, let alone Bush (emphasis added):

Rep. Rangel: I'm not pushing this bill. It's up to the President to come to me when he needs it.

The identical Senate bill, S. 89 , introduced by Democratic Sen. Ernest Hollings, and also was DOA. Not one other senator has co-sponsored it. It also sits in committee with no action scheduled or expected.

Both bills in question were drawn up before the Iraq war started, mostly to make a political point. Rangel said he acted to highlight Democratic objections to use of military force against Saddam Hussein. He wrote , "I truly believe that decision-makers who support war would more readily feel the pain of conflict and appreciate the sacrifice of those on the front lines if their children were there, too."

Hey, why let the truth get in the way of a good ABB story? It hasn't in the past for CBS, right?

It gets better: Beverly Cocco, the woman quoted in the story, isn't just the concerned citizen that CBS makes her out to be. (See the last contact listed.)

As for People Against the Draft, well, let's just let them speak for themselves, shall we?

People Against the Draft is a non-partisan, grassroots organization of concerned parents, students, educators, and others based in New York City. We have already established chapters throughout the New York metroplitan area and intend to expand further. Our purpose is to educate and lobby against the military draft.

More broadly, we intend to help build a movement against reinstatement of the draft and in favor of a peaceful, rational foreign policy. If you want to join us, or start a chapter in your own neighborhood, let us know. We'll try to help.
(Emphasis mine)

Their links page is interesting, too, as it list the usual list of loony left suspects.

With their zeal for advancing their political agenda unabated by their previous embarrassment, CBS "News" shows that they've learned nothing from that embarassment. But, if they are determined to continue making a mockery of themselves, I guess that we'll just have to sit back and enjoy their self-destruction!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CBS "News" strikes again!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CBS "News" strikes again!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: CBS "News" -- it IS news, and NBC had a similar story
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / September 29, 2004 11:26 PM PDT

Hi, Paul.

Draft-age kids in this country are starting to wake up to the likelihood of a revived draft, despite Bushfeld's denials. E-mails saying that are circulating widely on college campuses, and as a result, college-age voter registration is starting to rise. You may not like it, but it's a dynamic that could have a major impact on the election -- failure to report it would be inexcusible. What the news stations are NOT saying is that the concerns or valid -- though I personally believe that they are, with a kicker. Bushfeld's chief argument for why a draft isn't a good idea is that it takes at least a year to train soldiers effectively, so two years isn't enough. If the draft comes back (which I consider a certainty if Bush wins), look for a three-year draft term.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
by Paul C / September 29, 2004 11:43 PM PDT

E-mails saying that are circulating widely on college campuses, and as a result, college-age voter registration is starting to rise.

As I stated in my original post (if you read the link), the emails in question are at best misleading, and at worst fraudulent. Why does this to me have the smell of another DNC/Kerry campaign smear like the "memos"?

What we have is another "news story" based on information that is at least highly suspect citing a woman whose real agenda and affiliations are deliberately not revealed to us - the same methodology that CBS used in the "memos" story.

Personally, as one who served in the draft-age military and in the all volunteer force, I would much rather have the latter; the quality of the force is higher, as is its motivation. I'd have to be seriously persuaded that a return to conscription is urgently needed at a time when the military services are still meeting their recruiting and retention goals. My objection is that CBS apparently has learned nothing from the "memos" fiasco - a fact that speaks volumes about that network's dedication to advance an agenda as opposed to seeking the truth!

Collapse -

Hi, Paul.

Reagrdless of their veracity (and the networks are NOT saying they're genuine), the e-mails and their possible effects on the election are very much news. OR are you now suggesting that only news favorable to the Administration should be reportd? Why not bring in Baghdad Bob and make him Bush's communications director, then? Actually, that's not a bad idea -- it would further increase that office's expertise in finding hopeful signs in a rapidly detirorating situation in Iraq!

-- Dave K.
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
It is FRAUDULENT 'news' again...
by Edward ODaniel / September 30, 2004 1:37 AM PDT

as the claims of Bush being interested in reinstating the draft are FALSE and misleading.

The emails that are indeed "circulating" are fraudulent and have been widely debunked. They are "circulating" just like the CBS "memos".

The CBS memos are the subject of a probe now. 52 Congress critters have called on a Federal Judge and the Texas Attorney General.

The new CBS story might also become the subject of a probe if more attention is paid to the "main players".

Ms. Beverly Cocco of Walton Park, PA

CBS tried to cover up on their web site about Cocco but the Google Cache caught them. The added text and screenshots can be seen here:

Dave, like Rather you are displaying less and less of any semblance of logic or thought and are apparently halucinating or having flashbacks--seeing what is not there as a result of your own past activities.

Since both bills are sponsored ENTIRELY by Democrats and ALL the emails originated from the left your defending them is much on the order of Rather defending what he already admitted was wrong and improper.

Quoting you from an earlier time, "If you really consider those actions justifiable, I think you need to get some serious psychiatric help." Dave Konkel Sunday, 8/20/00 01:03 AM

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) It is a LIE and a Democrat dirty trick.
by EdH / September 30, 2004 1:44 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) IMPOSSIBLE! Dave says that only Republicans ...
by Edward ODaniel / September 30, 2004 1:58 AM PDT
Collapse -
And about the circulating emails...
by Edward ODaniel / September 30, 2004 1:57 AM PDT

And an interview with the CBNS personnel:

INDC: "Ok, the e-mails in the story have been criticized because they've been debunked online for some time, why did you use them?"

Karas: "The truth of the e-mails were absolutely irrelevant to the piece, because all the story said was that people were worried. It?s a story about human beings that are afraid of the draft. We did not say that this (e-mail) was true, it?s just circulating. We are not verifying the e-mail."

1. The story was aired almost immediately following recent Kerry-Edwards talking points that were expressly designed to elicit unrealistic fear of a draft reinstatement for political purposes.

2. The story failed to disclose Ms. Cocco's political activism.

3. Even if the veracity of the e-mails wasn't central to the narrative of the segment, it was surely egregiously irresponsible to report their existence without disclosing their fundamental inaccuracy.

4. The use of inaccurate supporting material and the selective use of highly relevant facts mirrored many of the exact flaws that crippled the recent 60 Minutes story about George Bush's National Guard service.

Isn't it interesting that the truth is irrelevant to a supposed NEWS peice by a major NEWS organ? Isn't it also rather interesting that like the Rather incident it seems remarkably well coordinated with Kerry Campaign, DNC, and Liberal 527 ads and efforts?

I also am hearing a lot about voter registrations from Chicago's Lucas Cemetary and Bohemian National Cemetary as well as the adjoining Peterson Park (a retirement area) where residents are being offered voting assistance and lunch at McDonalds.

Collapse -
Stinking low-down rats!
by EdH / September 30, 2004 2:21 AM PDT

Really, the Democrats have outdone themselves. This is the most despicable lie yet in a long series.

And CBS, their eager ally must be exposed for what it is, a propaganda organ for the lying Democrats.

Collapse -
What is it with you and the truth?
by C1ay / September 30, 2004 3:08 AM PDT

Did the truth leave you stranded somewhere or something? You sure seem to have a hard time getting comfortable with it. Maybe if you're exposed to it enough it'll start to feel better.

The TRUTH is that the current administration is doing all it can to avoid the draft. U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said the U.S. has sufficient troops to handle its current missions in Iraq and Afghanistan as well as others that may arise. Rumsfeld said in April, "I don't know anyone in the executive branch of the government who believes that it would be appropriate or necessary to reinstitute the draft." Yet, you have repeatedly claimed that this administration wants to reinstitute the draft.

The TRUTH is that Senator Ernest Hollings (D SC) has sponsored Senate Bill S.89, Title: "A bill to provide for the common defense by requiring that all young persons in the United States, including women, perform a period of military service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes. " And yet, not once have you denounced this bill, instead you blaim it on Bush.

The TRUTH is that Representative Charles B. Rangle (D NY) has sponsored House Bill HR 163, Title: "To provide for the common defense by requiring that all young persons in the United States, including women, perform a period of military service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes. " His bill is cosponsored by Represenatives Neil Abercrombie (D), Corrine Brown (D), Donna M. Christensen (D), William Clay (D), John Conyers (D), Elijah Cummings (D), Alcee Hastings (D), Jesse Jackson Jr. (D), Sheila Jackson-Lee (D), John Lewis (D), Jim McDermott (D), James Moran (D), Fortney Stark (D) and Nydia Velazquez (D). This bill is also 100% Democrat sponsored. Not once that I can recall have you denounced this bill either. Do you secretly support these bills?

Over and over you want to condemn the administration over some alleged attempt to reinstitue the draft when the administration has made it clear that it is opposed to the draft.

Over and over it is brought to your attention that the democrats have bills in both the House and Senate and you say nothing. Don't you think it's time that YOU face the TRUTH?

Collapse -
Re: What is it with you and the truth?
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / September 30, 2004 3:56 AM PDT

Hi, Clay.

That's not truth, that's Rumsfeld's spin. The truth is that voluntary re-enlistment rates are dropping in the regular military and especially Guard/reserve. That's why they're having to call back the recently released, unilaterally extend the tours of duty of those soon to be released, and use heavy-handed threats to try to get existing folks to re-up. Furhtermore, we're increasing the length and frequency of overseas tours, which further impacts the re-enlistment rate. We don't have enough manpower now, and the situation is getting worse. Kerry MIGHT be able to avoid reinstituting the draft (it might still be necessary, depending on how bad the situation is and how successful he is in getting foreign participation in the peacekeeping roles), but I consider it a certainty if Bush is re-elected. Of COURSE Bushfeld won't admit that -- it would have a severe negative impact on the re-election effort.

I know about the Democratic-sponsored bills -- they have no wide support and are indeed political gamesmanship. I'm talking the nitty gritty, after the election.

-- Dave K.
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Re: What is it with you and the truth?
by EdH / September 30, 2004 4:08 AM PDT

Why then does Kerry try to frighten people instead of saying, "And I might do it too"?

Admit it. It's a lie and a dirty trick, nothing more. Your attempts to rationalize it are pathetic.

Collapse -
Your 'truth' is in opposition to actual ...
by Edward ODaniel / September 30, 2004 4:39 AM PDT

renlistment figures and your knowledge of the "reason" for calling up recently released personnel is certainly deficient.

This was an essential component of VOLAR along with the expanded rolls of the Guard and Reserve in military deployment.

I do wish you would stick to topics that you at least have a working knowledge of.

Collapse -
Boy, that's it....
by C1ay / September 30, 2004 8:46 AM PDT

Support a claim against a side where absolutely no proof exists to even support an accusation and expect us to overlook the theives that still have their hand in the cookie jar. How pathetic?

Collapse -
by C1ay / September 30, 2004 8:48 AM PDT
I know about the Democratic-sponsored bills -- they have no wide support

What difference does that make? Are you trying to claim that they are not REAL attempts at legislation?

Collapse -
Re: PS
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / September 30, 2004 1:34 PM PDT
In reply to: PS

Hi, Clay.

Are they real attempts -- well, they look like them, but the sponsors know they have zero chance of passage. Whether tht does or does not mean they're "real" is entirely a matter of semantics!

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
by Roger NC / October 1, 2004 1:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: PS
Collapse -
So what you are REALLY saying ...
by Edward ODaniel / October 1, 2004 8:09 AM PDT

when you state but the sponsors know they have zero chance of passage is that you actually KNOW but won't admit even to yourself that Bush and the Republicans have no intention of reinstating any draft.

That MUST be it because if they were then the bills would have a VERY GOOD chance of passing.

That foot must taste pretty good to you by now.

Collapse -
by C1ay / October 1, 2004 8:10 AM PDT

They've got a better chance at passing than the Republican bills huh? Oh that's right, there's not any Republican bills for the draft.

Collapse -
You might be right to an extent.
by James Denison / October 1, 2004 11:02 AM PDT

This week I've had 3 different Army recruiters trying to contact my two college age daughters, and this is all newly initiated, not part of earlier recruiting efforts toward them. One even came over to the house uninvited since he wasn't able to get through that day on the phone. I felt that was a bit too pushy. I don't mind them recruiting, I don't mind my daughters considering what they offer, but it seems they'd take a hint when they've been told that both of them intend on completing at least 2 years, and preferably 4 before entering ANY military service.

Collapse -
You amaze me.
by Evie / October 2, 2004 8:17 AM PDT

No Republican has yet to even call for a draft.

You admit that:
(a) it is Democrats that are pushing for and sponsoring legislation, and
(b) such legislation is essentially DOA because Republicans are not signing on and they control both houses.

Yet you still keep on chugging with your accusations?

Evie Happy

Collapse -
One last question for you, Dave:
by Paul C / September 30, 2004 11:07 AM PDT

Do you not think that this whole thing is yet another DNC/Kerry campaign attempt to unleash the Dems' usual scare tactics to influence the election, and that CBS "News" is again in on the whole deal?

If not, then please explain to me why this page (courtesy of the Web Archive) has disappeared from the Kerry website? I remember when this plan was first floated during the primaries, and the opposition that Kerry got from those who are at least honest about their leftism (especially Howard Dean) that military service was a component of his plan?

Could it perhaps be that it's, er, inconvenient to be caught advocating a national service plan that includes military service (a draft in all but name, IMO) when you're now trying to scare folks with the spectre of a return to conscription?

Sounds (and looks) like yet another one of those ol' flip flops again, Dave...

Collapse -
Re: One last question for you, Dave:
by lylesg / October 1, 2004 11:43 AM PDT

?nationwide commitment to national service?

This is a sugar coated proposal for compulsory enrollment in military service if ever an induction for military service existed.

?Whether it is a Summer of Service for our teenagers, helping young people serve their country in return for college, or the Older Americans in Service program, John Kerry's plan will call on every American of every age and every background to serve.?

I suppose the ?Older Americans? could drive the buses hauling the newly inductees to begin their term of ?national service?. I wonder what type of agencey would come into play that would enforce that "every American of every age" comply?

Thanks for finding this one Paul.

Collapse -
Isn't that mandatory
by TONI H / October 1, 2004 11:54 AM PDT

in some other countries already that every person over the age of 15 or so have to serve in the military? And wasn't it mandatory (perhaps still is) in some countries that you were automatically assigned a 'role/career' the day you are born and that's all you ever studied for and then worked at until you died?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I guess you could color it "red". :)
by lylesg / October 1, 2004 12:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Isn't that mandatory
Collapse -
While that page was pulled ...
by Edward ODaniel / October 2, 2004 3:21 AM PDT

back in February, there are other pages on the johnkerry.com site that reference national service.
search with google using:
site:www.johnkerry.com Creating a New Army of Patriots

They aren't even bright enough to get them all.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?