Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Catch-22 Malware

by Wes1311 / December 14, 2008 5:37 AM PST

Hey guys! I'm kind of at my wits end and have exhausted my techie friends, so I wanted to see if anyone here could help.

Normally I'd post some scan reports along with this but, whatever I've got is not letting me run half my spyware and virus programs. Spybot, SuperAntispy, HiJackThis, MalwareBytes and the installers for all of these just either don't run or hit me with some vague error and don't start. So yeah, that's fun. Pretty much all I can run is a slightly out of date copy of AdAware. Oh, and it won't let me update that or any of the other programs I even can get to run.

Whatever's going on is also giving me trouble when I restart in safe mode. About half the time it gets to a black, 4-corners safe mode, then the explorer just doesn't load and I have to restart. Running checkdisk /f tends to fix this, but it's a pest.

Then on to what it actually does. It bogs down my internet browsers, takes me to dubious sites if I click on anything that comes up in a Google search, and half the sites I go to that seem to have anything to do with spyware removal simply don't load (it just hits me with a time out or server error; even though they open on my roomie's machine fine).

I also had a copy of SpyWareGuard 2008 going, but I think a friend got that after 3 hours of work (it's no popping up or re-installing anymore). This all sounds a lot like coolwwwsearch or something, but I've been able to download and get CWShredder to run and it doesn't turn up anything. Neither does the new Windows malware starter kit.

Heck, it even got to the point where I figured I'd do a system restore and when I loaded that up: Nothing. It said I had no restore points. Great.

So yeah. That's the deal. Any suggestions? I know this limits a lot but I'm out of ideas. Thanks all!

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Just a thought......
by Marianna Schmudlach / December 14, 2008 6:37 AM PST
In reply to: Catch-22 Malware

Please try the following routine to see if you can get Malwarebytes to run.

Click on Start, click Run, and then type devmgmt.msc and click OK
On the View menu click on Show hidden devices
Browse to Non-Plug and Play Drivers and you should see something like TDSSserv.sys
Highlight that driver and right click on it and select DISABLE
Now RESTART your computer.
Download a copy of Malwarebytes but DO NOT run it yet.
Rename the downloaded installer file to any generic name such as your own name but keep the .EXE extension on the file and run it.
Once the program is installed go to the UPDATE tab and try to update the program if you can.
Then go to the SCANNER tab and run a Quick Scan and allow MBAM to fix anything found.

Collapse -
If the Ad-Aware has an icon that looks like a red pretzel,
by Darrell / December 14, 2008 9:23 AM PST
In reply to: Just a thought......

That has been discontinued. There is a listing on www.filehippo.com for Ad-Aware 2009 Beta but you can go down to the Ad-Aware 2008.
You can also download it from www.lavasoft.com but if you have Spybot S&D they will conflict. I have the latter and added Comodo BOClean 4.27 for Anti-Malware from http://www.comodo.com/ and that will update automatically. Darrell

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!