Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Catastrophic Error - Task Scheduler

by whizkid454 / June 1, 2008 3:15 AM PDT

Vista Home Premium SP1 x86, Dell E510 Pent D 820, 2GB RAM, ATI X1650 Pro

Recently, I went into the Task Scheduler to create a new task for backing up some things. Went through the menus and clicked Finish to save the task. I went to my Task Library and got a "Catastrophic Error (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8000FFFF (E_UNEXPECTED)). Once in the Library, there are no tasks listed and I am then not able to create any other tasks. If I do, it says Task Scheduler is not running. However, I go into Comp Management > Services and see that it is running.

If I exit Task Scheduler and go back into it, I am again able to create a task. Still no access to the Library without an error. So I try again to create my same backup task and it ends up saying there is already another task with that name. (The one I first created above.) So, I can't view any of my tasks and have a catastrophic error on my hands. I've searched the web but haven't found any solution. I tried doing a chkdsk to see if something needed repaired, but everything was fine.

Thanks for any ideas you might have.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Catastrophic Error - Task Scheduler
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Catastrophic Error - Task Scheduler
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Found out the problem...
by whizkid454 / June 7, 2008 1:06 AM PDT

For those who may run into the same problem....

I upgraded this computer to Vista from XP. In the process, it transferred all of my XP tasks to the Vista Task Scheduler. However, some of those tasks weren't compatible with Vista's Task Scheduler. To fix the problem, go into your Windows directory (usually C:\Windows\system32\Tasks) and make a backup of any tasks that say they were created before you upgraded to Vista and send those backed-up files tot he desktop or somewhere where you know they are located. Then delete the files in the Tasks folder. Open up Task Scheduler and see if you get the error message. If not, then you can add each task back to the Tasks folder one by one to see which one is causing the problem. For me, it was UniBlue's SpeedUpMyPC task.

Collapse -
This was SO HELPFUL! THANK YOU!
by groggyfroggy / December 4, 2008 11:09 AM PST

I'd posted all over creation trying to find a fix for this. Jesus, MICROSOFT didn't even know what was up. But your fix worked PERFECTLY! The problem in my case was a GoogleUpdateTaskUser task that needed to be deleted. GOOD STUFF!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.