Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Cat6 cable to Cat5e Keystone Jacks

by mtrodrig84 / April 2, 2007 4:24 AM PDT

Hey all,

My Project - I am wiring my house with CAT6 cable, due to increasing bandwidth needs, I decided CAT6 would be best for future applications.

I bought CAT5e keystone jacks, assuming they would work (that and at the time I couldn't find CAT6 keystone jacks anywhere, so I just figured they were one in the same). I already opened the keystone jacks, so returning them is out of the question. Can I still wire a CAT5e keystone jack with CAT6 cable? Do you know where any wiring guides are? I can only find guides for wiring CAT5e into a keystone jack. Also, I don't understand this: on the keystone jacks, they have 2 options for wiring - 568A and 568B. What does that mean? I am under the assumption that one is straight through and the other is crossover, but if I'm wrong then please let me know.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cat6 cable to Cat5e Keystone Jacks
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cat6 cable to Cat5e Keystone Jacks
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Cat5e and Cat6
by Darton Fury / April 2, 2007 7:05 AM PDT

The Cat 5e jacks will work with Cat6 but the Cat6 will only function at Cat5e level. Usually the 110 punchdowns are color coded so you shouldn't need any wiring guide. Just wire both ends according to one of the standards -568A or 568B. If you make a cable with 568A on one end and 568B on the other, you create a crossover cable. This isn't what you want.

Collapse -
I thought so
by mtrodrig84 / April 2, 2007 8:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Cat5e and Cat6

Yea, thanks for that info, looks like I was correct in my assumptions. I knew the jack would dumb the speed down to CAT5e, but I can always just spend $1.50 on new CAT6 keystone jacks later on, I just want SOME type of wired connection right now.

Collapse -
EXTRA THANK YOU
by mtrodrig84 / April 2, 2007 9:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Cat5e and Cat6

I was so stupid, I didn't realize that the colors on the keystone jack were for the wires. Well, thanks for helping me. I am actually using one of the cables for the internet connection right now! Now all I need is a gigabit router and some CAT6 keystone jacks and I'm ready to surf (as fast as my ISP allows, which is currently slower than CAT5e, but maybe some day . . . )

Collapse -
568A and 568B
by linkit / April 2, 2007 9:31 AM PDT
In reply to: EXTRA THANK YOU
Collapse -
Cat6 cable to Cat5e Keystone Jacks
by Vasek1986 / February 25, 2009 4:10 AM PST

There is no need to worry

The Cat6 is the newer version of Cat 5e, therefore, the Cat 6 would just lower it speed to the Cat 5e standards.

So you have to options:

You can either buy a new keystone jack like:
http://cablesinstock.com/cat6keystonejacks.aspx

Or

Stay with the Cat 5e for a little while but watch out.

Sometimes I don?t know why but once you keep the cable in this or any other configuration, the cable gets somehow used to it and sometimes latter on when you want to upgrade your wiring to the newer Category 6 style, you may have problem that the cables would not work. In this case I would recommend to completely change your wires for the brand new and your whole system will be working fine.

Collapse -
re Cat6 cable to Cat5e Keystone Jacks
by Discount-Low-Voltage.com / April 1, 2009 4:05 PM PDT

I wouldn't worry about making the change any time soon. Using Cat5e jacks with Cat6 cable will indeed downgrade the link performance to Cat5e.

But... The Category 5e standard was written to support Gigabit Ethernet (1000 Megabit). Even a very fast internet connection (at least here in the US) will only be about a 15 Megabit per second connection.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?