Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Cat5 Troubleshooting (pictures provided)

by JezusSaurusRex / May 19, 2010 7:16 AM PDT

Hi CNET Community,
I installed a 160 foot Cat5 cable from my router to my basement. I had only trouble from the start...I have replaced the RJ45 plugs multiple times, even considering that they tested OK on my cable tester (all 8 pins matched up on both ends properly).
So I went ahead and put a Netgear FS105 switch at was I thought was roughly the middle of the cable. After splitting the wire, I had a flawless connection to my laptop when I connected it to the 80ft section connected to my router. Then I tested from the switch to the destination with my laptop connected. No luck...the signal was connected but limited connectivity. I tried a different computer and had the same issue.

So now I have tried and tested everything except for re-routing the wire. I have heard about interference, but I have never had trouble installing Cat5 near power cables. Then I reconsidered and gave it a second look, thinking that it runs with 110V, 14 gauge power cables that cross by and are parralel with the Cat5.
Here's a few pictures with the important wires pointed out.
Mind you that I actually have the originating Cat5 wire that runs all the way back to my source from my cable lines outside go right by the cable I am having issues with. Why don't I just put my modem at that source? I simply rearrange my house so that my home office is where my laundry room is...I don't have time for that.

Images (about 20ft from the destination, 60ft from the switch):
http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l244/m_player/?action=view&current=002altered.jpg

http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l244/m_player/?action=view&current=003altered.jpg

http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l244/m_player/?action=view&current=004altered.jpg

I really hope I can get this resolved, but all help is well-appreciated.
-JSR

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cat5 Troubleshooting (pictures provided)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cat5 Troubleshooting (pictures provided)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just one question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2010 9:15 AM PDT

Since the electrical continuity test passed, can you write what PAIRING SCHEME you used?

Collapse -
Staples
by mopscare42 / May 19, 2010 10:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Just one question.

Bob has a excellent question. What scheme did you use.
Another thing I can't tell in your pictures, did you use a staple gun and metal staples when routing the cat5? If so that can cause troubles.
Also are the RJ45 ends the correct ones as they make two different kinds. One for solid wire like cat 5 which a lot of companies make a smoked color and the other for stranded 8 conductor wire which are clear.
They may look the same, but on closer inspection the teeth are different.

Collapse -
Pairing scheme...
by JezusSaurusRex / May 19, 2010 11:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Staples

I had to lookup pairing scheme to realize that you meant the wiring diagram that I went by. The wires are solid copper and only have white wires with no idication of being white/orange or white/green, yet they are VERY obviously tied together with a colored wire.
I used a patch cord tester on this cable and it worked...yet with a test that I did on a cord that I cut at about 150-200 feet, it worked but when I rolled it up and plugged it into my router and then to my laptop, I got "a network cable is unplugged".

I used this tester: http://tinyurl.com/2a54xqp
Don't believe I'm trustworthy with tinyurl? Here's some confidence: http://preview.tinyurl.com/2a54xqp

I may be revealing my lack of knowledge, but I wired them with the pins all lined up the same on both ends.
1-1 (green/white)
2-2 (green)
3-3 (blue/white)
4-4 (blue)
5-5 (orange/white)
6-6 (orange)
7-7 (brown/white)
8-8 (brown)

Hope that was enough info.
Thanks,
JSR

Collapse -
Additional notes
by JezusSaurusRex / May 19, 2010 11:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Pairing scheme...

I forgot to mention that I am using clear RJ45 connectors, I did not know that there were different kinds. They have arched half-circles cut out the bottom of the (copper?) pins that snap into the wire.
But how would this be a factor if the tester read valid? Have I screwed the wiring scheme up this whole time?

If so, I appologize for taking very little knowledge and experience and bringing it to a whole level of confusion for everyone...wasting your forums bandwith as well. Its a learning curve, but its like building a house on half a foundation. No excuse for not doing research before diving into a new thing like a '****.

Thanks,
-JSR

Collapse -
Looks incorrect.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2010 9:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Pairing scheme...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_over_twisted_pair

The wire pairs on 3,4,5,6 are incorrect and you should see failures.

Many fight with this and demand to use pairs in 1,2 3,4 5,6 and 7,8 combination. What I found best is to nod and go fix it. I made good money correcting it years ago in a building.

The story was a good one. I would get it fixed. All the machines worked and then I'd shake the owner's hand and ask "Are we good?" He'd say yes.

Then months pass and all is working then the call comes in that the network is down. I go back and find it rewired. The owner says the other tech called it miswired and fixes it bringing down the network. I get a second billing and income from the same work.

This continued for years until they figures out the tech needed to stay out of the wiring closets.
Bob
Collapse -
Which wiring config?
by JezusSaurusRex / May 20, 2010 5:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Looks incorrect.

So which is correct?
1-white/green
2-green
3-white/orange
4-blue
5-white/blue
6-orange
7-white/brown
8-brown

So I just need to swap pins 3 and 5? I am a little confused. Can you provide a diagram that you are refer to? Wikipedia had more than one.
Thanks.
-JSR

Collapse -
568B
by mopscare42 / May 20, 2010 6:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Which wiring config?

Most setups are 568B.
With the tab down looking left to right openings facing you, it should be.

white/Orange
Orange/White
white/Green
blue/white
White/blue
Green/White
White/Brown
Brown/White
That should be on both ends.
If you flop the white green and the white orange pairs that comes out as a 468A which I haven't seen used in along time.
Also with that color code you can wire a cat 5 or 6 jack in the line matching the jacks colors and everything will come out straight.

Collapse -
Presto! But a new issue...
by JezusSaurusRex / May 20, 2010 8:14 AM PDT
In reply to: 568B

I just finished wiring the RJ45s by 568B and everything is work great and my newcomer issue has been resolved.
Yet I have a new issue...
My second router is not working on the network. I have one linksys router going to the other, yet my second linksys router is not cooperating. I set it to work as a router and not a gateway, set it not to act like a DHCP server, and put it as 192.168.1.2 off of the main router (which is 192.168.1.1). Its not working right, anyone have suggestions? Linksys's customer support is a half hour of waiting on hold with no reps and their website is all-but-helpful.

Thanks for spreading the knowledge!
-JSR

Collapse -
Never done it that way
by mopscare42 / May 20, 2010 8:54 AM PDT

I have used a Linksys router to a 5 port switch without any trouble, but have never done it the way you have yours setup.
I don't have a Linksys router to look at, but when I used a BEFSR41 I remember something about the second one has to be made a access point for it to work. I may be wrong on that. I am sure someone on the forum has had one setup like yours.
Glad the 568B wiring scheme worked for you.
Good luck on the other problem.

Collapse -
Something doesn't sound right
by Steven Haninger / May 20, 2010 9:07 AM PDT

You said you want the second router to act as a router but not a gateway. That statement is in conflict with itself. You might mean not as an Internet gateway but, to act as a router, it would be connecting separate networks. Those IP addresses you gave would be on the same network. You need to clarify whether you're really wanting it to act as a switch or an access point and what ports connect the two together.

Collapse -
Clarification...
by JezusSaurusRex / May 20, 2010 9:28 AM PDT

I realize my terminology is a bit off, but on the linksys router setup page, it gives the option of setting the router in "gateway/router" mode. I ended up leaving it as a gateway and setting it as 192.168.2.1 so I could have a new wireless signal. My problem was that I configured it to work as an accesss point, which would be LAN-LAN, but I had it plugged in as WAN-LAN during the whole process.
I've resolved it now, but thanks for all the informative posts and respectfulness.
Thanks again!
-JSR

Collapse -
"I set it to work as a router and not a gateway,"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 20, 2010 9:36 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?