Computer Help forum

Question

Casual Laptop performance issus

by jammusi / July 27, 2013 2:37 AM PDT

Hi

For some time I have issues causing sudden slow down, shivering sound, caper picture etc
This can happen when playing music from HD or online, when playing a movie or playing a game like windows hearts in which the cards simply goes slow.

I have noticed that in many cases, if not in all cases, at the same time it seems that the CPU usage jumps dramatically, sometimes up to 70%-80%.

Sometimes when it happens, I can see a program that consumes at least 20 - 30% CPU, but each time it is different program.

Also in most cases if I open Window's task manager, to check the running process and their CPU & RAM usage, I don't really see that the CPU is really working hard,
as sometimes the most heavy process takes maybe 20% CPU (chrome, uTorrent, VS, etc) and all the other do not really sums up to 80%.

I scanned the machine for viruses and other stuff - nothing found.
Cleaned tmp files, registry, internet files etc. nothing changed.

Eventually I restore an old image made few mounts ago when the laptop worked beautifully. Didn't help.
Due to this fact I came to conclusion that this is a hardware issue.

I considered tools to test the machine hardware performance.
I tried PC Wizard - but I do not really know to "understand" the results, or even what test is relevant.

Need some suggestion to better diagnose the problem.

The Lenovo T410 laptop has a dual core Intel I5 cpu and 8G ram, and installed with Win 7 x64 bit

Tx

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Casual Laptop performance issus
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Casual Laptop performance issus
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
First. Are you doing your regular maintenance?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2013 2:54 AM PDT

Many laptop owners are unaware that we need the canned air to the vents every few months to keep the vents clear. Your issues might be some software or malware but I'm leading with a question.

Second. What did you scan with? Grif has a list at this link:
http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6132_102-5098912.html?tag=posts;msg5099421

Finally the restore image can swing me back to my first question and think about other hardware faults but let's hear about that canned air.
Bob

Collapse -
First. Are you doing your regular maintenance?
by jammusi / July 27, 2013 4:46 AM PDT

Hi Bob
If you mean software wise maintenance - the answer is yes
This is the reason why I have a clean image, create rigt after I bought he machine and installed it with the basic things I need

Hardware - no. Never did.
I actually not sure I understand what you mean. I guess you meant its better to clean the vents so that the cooling system will work better. Well I need to check how to do that
Also - if my assumption is correct - I guess that one indication would be hi temp of the system. isnt it?

I agree with the hardware faults assumption - because of the image thing...this is why I restored it.

tx

Collapse -
Good to read.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2013 4:51 AM PDT

I see that you are catching on fast here. You see folk that get a laptop and no one will share they need the canned air since, well your guess is as good as mine. Folks are already skittish and if one retailer offered canned air the buyer may think they are trying to oversell (rip off) or that the next store is selling laptops that don't need this.

There are many articles about this on the web and I'd get some canned air first.
Bob

Collapse -
Another options?
by jammusi / July 27, 2013 6:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Good to read.

I will read and see how i am managing cleaning the fans
Again - wouldn't you agree that if this assumption is correct - so it will be reflected with the system high temperature?
I can see with PC wizard at least 3 different temperature items (CPU, Core #1, Core #2)
I do not really understand the difference between those 3 and maybe there are more.
So I guess my question regarding this is, what a normal temp is?

Also - the laptop is still under warranty in the next two months - so I want in parallel to check whether there is some other possible hardware fault.
Any idea?

Also, do you know PC wizard or another similar tool? Do you think it might help?

tx

jammusi

Collapse -
That changes everything.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2013 7:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Another options?

It's in warranty and failing so let them fix it.

I have never found a PC Wizard or software that can substitute for engineers or technicians.
Bob

Collapse -
Before I will let them fix it
by jammusi / July 27, 2013 5:43 PM PDT

I would like at least to try understand what is the problem.
There is no warranty for software related issues.

If it is hardware issue, and it is a quick thing I can do myself, I might prefer to actually do it my self

Sending the machine to the lab will take at least few days, which will cause lots of difficulties for me

If there is no other option - of course I will do that, but at least I will be in better position to examine their service, and maybe even make it shorter fix time

I am not sure that software substitute technicians is the correct question, but rather if they can assist analyzing the issues.

Anyway, I will see what does it is actually mean to clean the system and report back

Thanks

Collapse -
Before I will let them fix it
by jammusi / July 28, 2013 7:54 PM PDT

Hi Bob,

I was reading a bit more regarding cleaning the laptop...

I am wondering why buying canned air?
I have some experience with such cans, they usually run out pretty fast and even before that the pressure becomes weaker and weaker

Do you think a air dryer will suite? It exist in almost every home, it doesn't run out and ...it is cheaper
If not - why?

tx

Collapse -
No
by Jimmy Greystone / July 28, 2013 10:13 PM PDT

No, hair dryers would be a BAD idea, primarily because of the heat and they aren't as powerful as the canned air solutions, but also because it'll be likely to introduce a lot of condensation inside the computer. The pressurized liquid in those canned air products won't affect electronics like the moisture in the air will. If you have an air compressor handy, you could certainly use that, but do NOT use something designed to generate heat.

Collapse -
Hair Drayer or Commressor
by jammusi / July 28, 2013 11:09 PM PDT
In reply to: No

I can understand what you mean regarding the heat issue - although there are hair dryer that also produce cold air. Not sure what cold here though...

I actually can get a semi industrial compressor- but I thought that it would be is too strong...
that maybe it will clean up everything properly but also that the pressure it produces might actually make some damage.
Need to check if and how much the pressure can be controlled

Collapse -
If that's the case
by Jimmy Greystone / July 29, 2013 2:00 AM PDT

If that's the case, simply hold the nozzle a suitable distance away to lower the net pressure of the stream hitting the device.

Collapse -
Answer
maintenance
by iubjaved / July 27, 2013 5:57 PM PDT

You may wanna try using this software :-

System mechanic professional

You have to purchase it in order to avail all the features. I have used it and it really keep your pc clean and run smoothly. There's also a home version available for the software you might wanna try . Hope this helps

Collapse -
Re: maintenance
by jammusi / July 28, 2013 7:47 PM PDT
In reply to: maintenance

Thanks mate.
As I see System mechanic professional is a software related maintenance tool
I was asking for hardware related tool

tx

Collapse -
Give it a try
by iubjaved / August 1, 2013 5:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: maintenance

You can always use the home version and give it a try if it helps with the problem.

Collapse -
Sorry to say
by Jimmy Greystone / July 28, 2013 10:10 PM PDT
In reply to: maintenance

Sorry to say, but these programs are generally snake oil scams. Just skimming over the main list of features I can already tell this is a program designed to part fools and their money. The memory "optimization" thing is likely going to hurt performance by destroying the cache Windows builds up, they came up with their own cute name for a defragmenting program which is a near totally useless program these days as it is, there's the classic indicator of a registry cleaner/fixer, dollars to donuts their "net booster" thing is just a caching DNS server that gives the illusion of faster speeds without actually doing anything of substance, maybe it also degrades the quality of images on the fly. I know it can't be doing anything of substance, because anyone who has even a basic understanding of networking can tell you that claim is a load of garbage. I'm highly dubious of their on-the-fly file write optimizing claims and some kind of turbo booster thing to say the least. Having some program sitting around trying to monitor file write speeds all the time is likely going to decrease throughput not increase it and the turbo booster thing looks like all it really does is just tweak process priorities, which is not something you'd want to do lightly.

That suite of programs is more likely to CAUSE problems with your computer rather than fix them. It's a series of solutions in desperate search of a problem. That's a pretty universal thing for all such programs. The dead giveaway is often when they include a registry cleaner/fixer. Any time you see that, you know you should lock up your wallet and credit cards and run screaming in the opposite direction.

Collapse -
well
by iubjaved / August 1, 2013 5:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry to say
Collapse -
"Warning for telephone Phishing"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 2, 2013 1:39 AM PDT
In reply to: well

Is this spyware?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.