Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Cassette to Computer

by BryanJ / February 18, 2005 8:02 AM PST

Hello,

What I'm trying to do is transfer audio data over from cassette to my computer.

I bought the appropriate cable in order to hook up my tape deck to my computer. It's all hooked up correctly; I checked it several times. I even get good sound through my computer when I start playing the tape, which tells me it's coming through the sound card just fine. After having transfered the MP3 sound file to my hard drive, I hear nothing. Even though it shows the file has been transferred, kilobytes and all.

I thought I would check the sound card recording volume, and here's a screen shot of the Error message I get when I clicked both volume tabs on "Sound Playback" as well as "Sound Recording": http://home.earthlink.net/~tnfrijole/Sound%20Card.gif

I found what I thought was the appropriate page on Microsoft's web site, (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319095) followed the directions, jumped through the hoops, but got a message in DOS saying "Can't open this file", or something like that. I don't exactly remember because it's been a few days ago.

I don't know what else to do.

Operating System: Windows XP Home

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cassette to Computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cassette to Computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It looks like you are missing a driver.
by Kiddpeat / February 18, 2005 11:25 AM PST
In reply to: Cassette to Computer

Have you reinstalled Windows since the last time you were able to access these controls? If so, you undoubtedly missed reinstalling some drivers. Look for the original media, or download the latest drivers from the manufacturer.

Collapse -
Cassette to Computer
by BryanJ / February 19, 2005 7:26 AM PST

No, I haven't reinstalled Windows. My PC is a little over a year old.

Driver? Do you mean the sound card driver?

Collapse -
Yes, that's the one. Are you seeing signs of a problem
by Kiddpeat / February 19, 2005 3:12 PM PST

in the Device Manager? Look for a little yellow triangle which indicates a problem.

Collapse -
Driver
by BryanJ / February 19, 2005 11:03 PM PST
Collapse -
SndVol32.exe is part of Windows. If it's not on your system
by Kiddpeat / February 20, 2005 10:51 AM PST
In reply to: Driver

it needs to be installed or reinstalled. You might want to look at this thread for suggestions on how to proceed.

Collapse -
Here's my solution
by abirnbaum / March 1, 2005 5:37 AM PST

I had this problem after installing the latest Win XP patch. This worked for me:

Find the SndVol32.exe file online - try Google.

Download it to your desktop and then copy it to:
C:/windows/system32 file

Alternatively you can download the file directly to this directory.

Close, reboot, works perfectly.

Collapse -
Please correct me if I am wrong...
by Art / February 20, 2005 4:25 PM PST

but is there such thing as a "TAPE" mp3 player? Normally it is best to capture the audio through some audio capture software rather than just something that is part of an OS. Just my 2 cents.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?