Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Caskets at Costco?

Doesn't this seem a bit out of place? I wonder if they will have them right as you walk in the front door? Maybe a flashing light by them? If this was K-Mart they could have a blue light special on them. What do you say to some old geezer obviously near death's door as they wheel their shiny new coffin up for a checkout? Do you ask them if they'd like a few extra pillows for that? Do you ask them if they'd be interested in flashlights and batteries, you know, just in case they aren't quite all dead when they're interred? How will they advertise it? How about a spooky picture of Edgar Allen Poe, and a rack of his scariest books for sale? Put a black raven on the top of the casket with a motion sensor that triggers it to say, "Nevermore!" in a foreboding voice as people approach the display. Hey, this actually has possibilities!

Funeral homes are threatening to fight back with increased rates on their other services.

Costco goes Gothic

Costco Wholesale Corp., better known for bulk chicken and cases of soda, started test marketing caskets alongside mattresses at a North Side Chicago store Monday. They're also being sold at a suburban Oak Brook store....At a Costco on Chicago's North Side, shoppers checking out the new casket kiosk Monday seemed to like the idea that the same store where they buy so many things for this life was branching into the afterlife.... John Neuhaus said "I want the adjustable bed and mattress for my neck," pointing to one of the features highlighted at the kiosk. After all, he said, "It says eternal rest."

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Caskets at Costco?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Caskets at Costco?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Josh, will you loan your bats out? ;-)

In reply to: Caskets at Costco?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ONE, SINGULAR bat, right, Josh?

In reply to: (NT) Josh, will you loan your bats out? ;-)

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) wonder if its a do it your self burial?

Collapse -
Re: Caskets at Costco?

Ya' know, I don't think this is such a bad deal at all (if they handle it correctly) for two reasons:

1. If items such as caskets can be found at a place like CostCo, then maybe folks will become more "at ease" in discussing important and emotional topics as death, dying, and funerals.

2. Funeral homes charge WAY too much money for such items, and they are often speaking with people who have just lost a loved one. Their tactics for "which casket would you like to buy?" are oftentimes underhanded and sneaky. For example: They show you 5 caskets ranging in price from $2,000 to $8,000. Often a person, especially under emotional stress, will pick AT THE VERY LEAST the mid-priced casket. What they don't know is that the $2,000 casket is already considered a mid-priced casket, but since there wasn't a less expensive one in the show room, the consumer didn't know that and purchased something more expensive than they may have been able to afford. In summary for #2, we need more competition for the prices of such items.

Check out this Consumer Guide at the Federal Trade Commission website (PDF document, appx. 35 pages):http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/services/funeral.pdf
Very good information.

--Marcia

Collapse -
You can buy them online, too!

In reply to: Re: Caskets at Costco?

Collapse -
I think they ought to offer the whole package.

Maybe a prepaid deal at selected mortuaries. Then you could really save some bucks.

Collapse -
Hey....this old Geezer likes it....

Gads, will your survivors be surprised when the time comes for the arrangement, it's like Marcia says.......

In my opinion the funeral business is the most lucrative that your children should strive to own instead of growing up to be cowboys.

Thought I would save money & troubles by arranging my funeral beforehand when I was to be operated on in Feb 03. Wanted to lock in a price and pay up front...
Oh...but depending on the funeral home....there are little clauses where they can increase the price when the time comes...for certain little cost of prices at the time. Then the price of the casket...gads....even a pine box...They will accept a casket from another source, but watch the USED CAR tactics on increasing the cost of other services.

Oh, the poor widow who has to go thru the 'highway' $$
that will be charged for those that are at the immediate grief.

You GI's veterans thinking of a fairly cheap funeral at a Government free plot need to check out how a funeral home will make up the $$ lost for that free plot.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.