Desktops forum

General discussion

Cases

by ct3000 / April 5, 2005 5:10 AM PDT

Im looking for a new computer case and cant make up my mind i really like raidmax's designs but feel the cases lack in the cooling department i was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to help me make up my mind any suggestions or direction to a better case would be more than appriciated

thanx

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cases
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cases
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Check...
by Willy / April 5, 2005 5:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Cases

TRy: http://www.frozencpu.com then google for anymore. I strongly suggest whatever you get that comes with a p/s, usually they are 300-350W rated, these aren't enough even though the case maybe OK. Truly shop around for the case then get yet another 400W+ better p/s unti, its a very good start. Costs more but its a foundation of your system. Plus, most decent cases have extra fan mounting, so buy extra fans if need be if not aleady installed. Also, the bigger the case, the better as you have more air circultaing, room for upgrades and dodads they may come down the pike.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
fans
by a50 / April 6, 2005 7:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Check...

How many fans do you recommend?

Collapse -
Fans in your computer
by damasta55r / April 6, 2005 1:55 PM PDT
In reply to: fans

FOr a gamer, you've got to get a power supply with a fan, a case fan, a processor fan, and a graphics card with a cooling fan. A side fan is optional and will require modification of the case. BTX chassis has a fan in the front. SO i recommend at least a power supply with a fan because most psu over 300W has one and 300W is recommended for even low-end comps. A processor fan is required and comes with most pros so no worries. As for a case fan, optional.
Roger

Collapse -
ok, again, i set this straight for you
by ozos / April 10, 2005 12:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Fans in your computer

A) a gfx only needs a fan if it's a high heatoutput core
you can use an FX 5200 which only requires passive cooling, and introduces less heat due to that, fans don't increase performance, if the gfx card has a fan on it, than it needs it, if it doesn't, than it probably does not need a fan (but if your OC'ing a gfx card that came w/o a fan, i'd suggest getting it a new cooler with a fan)

B) a 300W PSU is WEAK, and under the requirements of most graphics cards, i would suggest 450W or more from aa reputable company, meaning 24A on the 12v line or better, or dual 12v lines at around 15-16A each

C) i suggest 2 case fans, in any configuration, as long as they aren't right by each other (if one is in a door and the other is in the back, that is fine, if their stacked, you need a fan away from them, to create air flow)

D) a CPU fan isn't just something to over-look, you should have a quality HSF, not the one that comes with it

SO HERE IS MY SUGGESTION BOX FOR CASE/PSU BUYING:

1. The case must meet the ATX form factor requirement, even if you have a Micro-ATX board, as a full ATX case allows a larger area for heat to dissipate

2. The case must have at least 2 fan mounts (if it includes fans that is better) and have fans in those mounts, they must not be on top of each other, they must be in different places to either cooling critical parts (i.e. a tunnel right over the CPU) or at oppsoite sides to create air flow

3. The case must have a front fan, and a rear fan

4. The fans must be of high quality, meaning 30 CFM or better

5. The Power Supply must meet the ATX requirement for your hardware (either 20-pin or 24-pin) and must supply in the range of 24A on the 12v Rail for Pentium 4 and Athlon64, and in the range of 22A or more for AthlonXP and Sempron

6. The power supply must come from a good manufacturer, such as Enermax, OCZ, Antec, TTGI Superflower, PC Power & Cooling, Fortron Source Power, Sparkle Power, Zippy/EMACs

7. The power supply must have 2 FANS! no quesions asked (99% of all of the above's PSU's have 2 fans...if it's a micro-ATX PSU for a lower power or SFF system, 1 fan is fine...BUT the rest of the system must be low end/well cooled)

8. the PSU fan mustn't do most of the cooling, meaning a rear exhaust fan is required

if the case meets most of that
go for it
also
don't buy Case/PSU bundles, the included PSU's ALWAYS suck (if you bought a good case and a good PSU in a bundle (say a Xaser V and an Antec NeoPower) it'd cost like $300+)

and as an afternote
Thermaltake's PSU's are OK if your system is medium range, and that doesn't mean a 5950U is medium range, it eats up power, i mean medium range from it's generation (so a 5700U is medium range, a 5950U is high range, as it still needs a heck of a lot of power)

Thermaltake's PSU's are usually reliable, but should not be put in a system that is OC'ed or tweaked heavily...but they are decent for stock running (to replace OEM units from HP, Gateway or eMachines...Dell is excluded, as their PSU's are from PC Power & Cooling, which is the best of the best (Dell's OEM PSU's are actually pretty nice, their just really low wattage (it's a really well made 300W PSU...so it can't do much, it's just gonna last for ever, not being able to power much)

Collapse -
Case fans...at least 2 and then optionable
by Willy / April 10, 2005 12:46 PM PDT
In reply to: fans

Sorry for the late reply....

Just case fans, period you can get by using (2), two fans. They should be located in front and back, the frt. being low while the rear fan is high. I exclude any mention of any other fan as I'm talking only case fans. You have the option to install/modify for the installation of a side(side cover) or top of case(blow hole) fan(s). Alot depends on the use of the fans plus the routing of cables, harness, and wraps to better allow air circulation for best operation. Size is another matter, but typical fans are in the 90mm range for case fans, while 120mm is as large as you can go, but I'm sure bigger can be had to the crafty user.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Go to xoxide.com for wide
by damasta55r / April 5, 2005 11:32 AM PDT

variety of cases.
Roger

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) LIAN CASE
by jcd / April 11, 2005 1:24 AM PDT
Collapse -
Antec P160
by theding0 / April 13, 2005 7:50 AM PDT

I've got one of these, and they're pretty nice. Get it through newegg.com
Case is aluminum (except the front bezel), has temperature readouts on the front top of the case, stealthed drive bays, and can be assembled and disassembled without a screwdrive. Everything has its own trays (including motherboards, hard drives, CD drives, floppy drives) and comes with 2 120mm fans (on opposite sides of the case)
it is quite roomy and relatively quiet (HD trays have rubber dampeners on them)
anyways...you can find reviews online with better descriptions than I can give, but its as good as any Lian-li I've seen.. and slightly cheaper. Lian-li's are very nice, but you pay through the nose for them.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!