Desktops forum

Tip

Case Fan Placement Advice Needed.

by Shanetm / October 14, 2011 9:49 AM PDT

I am currently using an NZXT M59 case and in it one intake side fan and one rear exaust fan.

I once had it fully loaded with 4 fans (Top exaust, front intake, side intake and rear exast) but it got a little noisey for me...

ANyways, I am currently using a Hyper 212+ as my cpu cooler of choice, and was just curious is a top, rear exaust fan would be of any benefit. I once had one in before I upgraded to the Hyper 212+ but thought that it would mess up the airflow from the coolers fan to the exaust fan since its pulling up while those two are pushing back

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thx

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Case Fan Placement Advice Needed.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Case Fan Placement Advice Needed.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Check the system temps AS IS...
by VAPCMD / October 14, 2011 10:36 AM PDT

Then disable/disconnect the top FAN.

Check the system temps.

If little or no change...leave the top disconnected and try the same with the side fan.

You might also consider quieter fans ot larger fans that rotate at lower RPMs.

Let us know.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
120 mm fans
by Shanetm / October 14, 2011 12:12 PM PDT

Well, I dont have the computer with me since I need to do an RMA for the mobo, however I believe the temps were always acceptable and pretty decent with only the two 120mm fans... I just thought if I could improve them any more, why not go the extra step sort of thing.

Also, there is a bunch of small punch outs at the top for the fans to pull air/exaust out of...

Would it be wise to completely block those off? I read somewhere that having those holes punched at the top can screw with the way the air circulates.

Im trying to get any tips or suggestions now so when I re-assemble the computer I wont have to go back in and potentially have something else break unexpectedly on me

Collapse -
Fans
by Bob__B / October 15, 2011 1:22 AM PDT
In reply to: 120 mm fans

The only way to tell this is to run your own temp test with different configs.

It's amazing how few fans are needed and how nice and quiet and cool the machine runs if you just remove the side panel.

Collapse -
If it were mine....I'd leave the top clear as you can
by VAPCMD / October 15, 2011 1:50 AM PDT
In reply to: 120 mm fans

easily block or unblock the vents from outside the case.

With decent active airflow and a good CPU HS Fan...you should be good to go. You can get always leave the other existing fan installed bu unconnected and if necessary you always change to bigger lower RPM fans or better quieter fans.

Let us know how it works out.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Thank You
by Shanetm / October 15, 2011 4:10 AM PDT

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

I actually talked to the man who diagnosed my computer about the fans.

In his opinion he thinks that what I have now is perfect and the top doesnt need anything extra because the heat already rises out of the case and installing a top exaust may screw up the exaust areas air dynamics where the cpu cooler is spitting air out the back

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.