Question

Cascade of Issues - Trying to share a friggin printer...

Well, I'm having this massive cascade of issues, when all I want to do is share files between computers and share a damn printer...

Originally, I wanted to use a homegroup.

The Homegroup Listener Service will not start, and I understand this is important for it to work ... obviously.

Windows Couldn't start HomeGroup Listener Service on Local Computer, yada yada and then this error code.

Error Code -2147023143

I did some searching and found even if you have a third party firewall (I do, Zone Alarm) the Windows Firewall service has to be running for homegroups to work... If this error code means smoething else then please tell me...

So I try to start the Windows Firewall service.

Same error as the homegroup listener, but with error code 5.

Please help, noone else seems to know...

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Cascade of Issues - Trying to share a friggin printer...
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Cascade of Issues - Trying to share a friggin printer...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Is that Windows 7 Starter or Home Basic?

"With Windows 7 Starter and Windows 7 Home Basic, you can join a homegroup, but you can't create one."

I'm sure there are more limitations but if you have that version, no soup for you.
Bob

- Collapse -
asfasfdasdf

Lol, no its ultimate rofl

- Collapse -
Then another basic issue.

Did you try it from a new Admin capable account?

- Collapse -
asdfjadsfl;kj

the only account is mine, and its an admin...

-_-

- Collapse -
So you didn't try the advice given?

Sorry but it looks like we're done.

- Collapse -
Answer
By any chance does yada yada ...

mean something like "... For more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code - 2147023828"?

I'm pretty sure it was and am wondering why you didn't mention what you found in the System Event Log and if anything you found pertained to a third party vendor what did they have to tell you?

If you have been trying to "optimize" your system by shutting down "unnecessary services" you may have shot yourself in your own foot as many services are dependent on other services in order to run.

The PROBLEM is, as Bob has hinted about, that you aren't giving us much information that is necessary to us in order to offer you advice.

While waiting for our responses AFTER you post that information you might try to open administrative tools>Services, right click the 2 services pertaining to Homegroups and select properties and on the dependencies tab ensure that all of those other services are running as well. The Homegroup listener and manager have a large list of dependant services which will not allow Homegroup to run if they are disabled.

Make sure these services are started and set to automatic:

-Function Discovery Provider Host
-Function Discovery Resource Publication
-Credential Manager Service

(Enable in following order):
-Peer Networking Identity Manager
-Peer Name Resolution Protocol
-Peer Networking Grouping

You have to help us help you or bite the bullet and try a fresh installation.

- Collapse -
dsafasdf

All of those are enabled now, and set to automatic.

The Homegroup Provider is started as always, but trying to start the Listener results in the same error.

I have no idea where the system event log is, lol. Nothing would pertain to a third party vendor anyways, considering the Homegroup services are all Microsuck.

I never tried to optimize my system through shutting services, that is idiotic. -_-

The Listener's only dependecy is Server, and its started.

- Collapse -
I'm still wondering.

How this machine got to be in such a state. I've lost count of the times I find an owner upset at Microsoft and starts ripping out this and that screaming bloatware and later I get to put it all back in.

Also, I didn't read about the other new admin account test. If we can't do simple tests and the owner is upset with Microsoft then it rarely gets fixed.
Bob

- Collapse -
RE: "nothing would pertain ..."

Strange to say but SEVERAL third party apps or utilities could be causing problems. You won't know without checking your System Event Log and since that specific log is ONLY on your computer there is no way we can check it for you.

Open Event Viewer by clicking the Start button, click Control Panel, then click System and Maintenance, then Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Event Viewer. Note that Administrator permission is required - If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

A second method to open Event Viewer: Click the Start button. In the Search box, type Event Viewer, and then, in the list of results, double-click Event Viewer (or right click and run as Administrator).

You might also kill off your homegroup(s) and then re-create after booting which sometimes seems to work or you could SKIP the homegroups and go with the good old workgroup that Windows has offered since WfW 3.1.

- Collapse -
dafsfasdf

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">7024</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-09-02T23:58:48.254979700Z" />
<EventRecordID>62760</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="844" ThreadID="5860" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Supertop</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data Name="param1">HomeGroup Listener</Data>
<Data Name="param2">%%-2147023143</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

That's the homegroup error...

then the firewall error is this

The Windows Firewall service terminated with service-specific error Access is denied..

Lol, acess denied? What's this?

I have no idea how it got like this, it just happened one day. I never screamed bloatware lol, there is no bloatware that comes with Windows 7. Only if you get your computer from HP and Dell and other such evil corporations. Mine, fortunately, came with no operating system from www.xoticpc.com and I installed the OS myself. So.

- Collapse -
Need more clues.

For example many of those antivirus suites can cause this. And I've missed where the new admin account was attempted.

If you can't list what's different about this install, supply a HIJACKTHIS log and I'll take a peek.
Bob

- Collapse -
In addition to NEEDING to know ....

whether you have created and TRIED a new Admin account as suggested you said something interesting.

"Mine, fortunately, came with no operating system from www.xoticpc.com and I installed the OS myself. So." Did you install the motherboard drivers that should have come with the system?

also, the homegroup listerer CANNOT run unless you enable Windows Firewall service (that is the SERVICE, not the firewall)

Are Peer Networking Grouping and Peer Name Resolution Protocol services started? If you can't start them go to C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking
and delete all of the files in this folder (note that this is a HIDDEN system folder so you will need to unhide your system files and folders _ if you don't know how to do that - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/394-hidden-files-folders-show-hide.html ). Now restart the computer. Go to Services again and you should be able to start 'Peer Networking Grouping' and 'Peer Name Resolution Protocol'. Restart the computer again.

You should now have full functionality restored to your homegroup.

CNET Forums