General discussion

Carol...Need help

Windows Live Messenger is active on noobies computer

Is it better to uninstall or dis-activate it

If uninstall will this command work
?RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove?.

Next problem is with windows updates it was set to auto update

It downloaded Net Framework 3.5 sp1..Net framework family update for 2.0 through 3.5 kb951847 x86

It will not install and even though I mark it not to download or do not notify it continues to notify.

Net frame work 3.5 sp1 is in the add\remove section

Thanks for the help
Phil

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Carol...Need help
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Carol...Need help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Not Carol But...

In regards to Windows Live Messenger, I tend to disable it primarily because there may come a day when someone wants to install it.. To disable it on Windows XP, see the instructions below:

Instructions

1. Start Messenger.
2. On the Menu bar click "Tools", and then click "Options". If the Menu bar is not displayed, press the ALT key on your keyboard.
3. On the left side of the Options window, click Sign In.
4. Clear the following check boxes: a) Allow automatic sign in when connected to the internet and b) Automatically run Windows Live Messenger when I log on to Windows.
5. Click Apply and then Click OK

As to the problem with installing NET Framework updates, we've found completely uninstalling all NET Framework items installed, then reinstalling them from scratch seems to be the best fix.. After uninstalling all NET from Add/remove Programs, then run the tool below to be sure everything is gone.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx

Once you've cleaned everything off, visit the Windows/Microsoft Update site using Internet Explorer and allow it to scan and detect any updates necessary.. Instead of letting the Automatic Updates install NET Framework, visit the Windows Updates site and allow it to scan and detect any updates necessary.. Install NET Framework 3.5, etc., then restart the machine and run the Windows Updates site again.. After the first set up of updates, there will probably be another set of updates needed.... or maybe not, but it's best to check a second time.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Window messenger

Grif

Thanks for the reply

Opened updates and there was and additional one for net frame work version 2 (kb 928365) along with the net frame work 3.5 sp1
version 2 downloaded and install then version 3.5 sp3 installed Event viewer show both have installed sucessfully

Messenger seems that maybe they tried to uninstall it at some earlier date.
Cannot find a way to start it. In program files it is still listed as messenger and has a few files
The file msnsgsin with a date of 2002 will not open either by clicking or by choosing open

The annoyance now is that Filehippo shows that it needs updating
Should I delete all files in program files and then search the registry for any entries

Ray

- Collapse -
To Open Messenger In XP...

Unfortunately, I don't see which operating system you're using, but assuming XP, click on Start-Run, type "msmsgs", then click on OK.. Messenger should start. You can then follow the previous instructions to prevent if from running at startup.

As to Filehippo, I don't use their redundant update checker.. I generally use only the Microsoft Updates site. And yes, if you are having problems with it, uninstalling, then reinstalling is a good start.

Hope this helps.

Grif

CNET Forums

Forum Info